Tipping from a cruise staff perspective

Yes, I understand about the 'some of us make it our business to be appreciative' etc and DH and I are among those people on every cruise without exception and we've been on a great many cruises.

Once I give something to someone, it is no longer my business what they do with it IMO

YMMV but to me, I've given it and it is now theirs and my interest has ceased.

(underline by me)

Do you also feel the same way when giving money to a charity? You give it thinking the money is going to the cause they are supporting, but what if the majority of that money went to something else instead, such as administrative costs, or to pay bonuses for whomever is managing the program? It has been well documented that in some cases almost all the money is used up this way. Would that be just fine with you since you have "given it and it is now theirs"?

You may not care what happens to your money, but I certainly do mine. When I give money to someone or some cause, I want it to go where I intend it to go, not some unknown bottomless pit. Knowing where it goes makes it easier for me to know the best course to take to direct the money where I want it to go.

Do you also feel the same way when giving money to a charity? You give it thinking the money is going to the cause they are supporting, but what if the majority of that money went to something else instead, such as administrative costs, or to pay bonuses for whomever is managing the program? It has been well documented that in some cases almost all the money is used up this way. Would that be just fine with you since you have "given it and it is now theirs"?

You may not care what happens to your money, but I certainly do mine. When I give money to someone or some cause, I want it to go where I intend it to go, not some unknown bottomless pit. Knowing where it goes makes it easier for me to know the best course to take to direct the money where I want it to go.

I do not think it the same circumstance when I tip a service person vs when I choose to contribute to a charity.

However, when we choose where to make our donations each year, we carefully evaluate the performance record of the organizations we are considering as to what percentage goes to the 'good work' and how much goes to administration and fund raising.

I don't know too many people who throw their money around but I don't consider it throwing around when we provide well earned gratuities that are of our choosing..... over and above the automatically applied amount.

We all view our financial affairs in our own way and each does what 'works for them'.

I pay my tips in advance and have never had reason to ask for them to be reduced. But I wouldn't think of asking my room steward about how much pay he gets - or if I was to bung him a few quid, would he get to keep it himself? I just keep in my mind that the auto-tip is part of the cost of the cruise and the REAL tip is what I choose to give to people over and above that. I would be horrified if someone asked me q's about my financial situation, so I dont ask theirs. I might be blind or naive, but I am sure that if people working on cruise ships were that badly treated they would vote with their feet and leave!

I do tip small regular amounts to my room steward from day 1. If I am honest, this harks back to the fact that I was myself a bartender (in the dark ages) - and yes, I was quicker to serve a "tipper" next time they were at my bar, they did get a bigger smile and a warmer welcome (that's just human nature, like it or not).

I also do not like asking questions - it can come across as being patronising and reminds me of the old days of the british "empire" Thankfully we have moved on from those days.

I would be horrified if someone asked me q's about my financial situation, so I dont ask theirs.

I agree. I wouldn't want the waiter in a Restaurant to come up and ask my monthly income. Why in the heck would I ask theirs. I also don't want to know how many children they are supporting with their "meager" salaries. They are adults. They chose their place of employment and their number of offspring. It is not any of my business or concern.

I have been fortunate to be able to sail on a world cruise and recently returned from the 37 day repositioning cruise of the Volendam, an itinerary that began in Auckland, first segment ended in Sydney, and then finished in Vancouver. I gave additional gratuities to my cabin stewards and dining room stewards at the end of each segment during the cruises. I felt that would supply them with a bit of extra spending money, in case that was needed and desired by them, during the cruise for them to use during whatever time they have off. In every case, they were surprised--and pleased--to receive the additional gratuity. And, I made it clear to them that it was indeed an additional gratuity.

For bartenders and lounge stewards, any extra gratuity I might offer was done so at the time of service.

One steward on long cruises who I think gets overlooked is the young man who brings around the iced tea, lemonade, and water on the Lower Promenade Deck. He also takes care of putting the cushions out and taking them in during the late afternoon. If he serves you frequently, one might consider a small gratuity at the end of the cruise. On the Amsterdam, I gave the gentleman his envelope with my thanks for his service and he nearly went into shock!

On 2009 world cruise, some of the crews told me that they do not like to work on the world cruise; there is no money for them. On seven or ten days cruise they would make from $ 30 to 100 per cabin. For world cruise they might make $50 to 100 per cabin. And they have to wait until the end of the world cruise to get tipped. At the end of our 82 days I gave our steward $820.00 and two waiters each $820.00

This year world cruise I gave our steward $820.00 on the first day of the cruise. I told him; it is going to be a very long cruise, this is for you to spend or to send it to your family back home. Also, I told him since he has 16 cabins to clean, he does not have to clean our room in the morning, and he can do it at night. For 82 days he never cleaned our room in the morning. At home or on vacation; I always make the bed as soon as I get out of the bed.

The steward who was assigned to the room next to us always opened the door for me when I had an extra cup of coffee in my hands. I gave him $100.00 on the last day.

Francis was one of the waiters at our table. He is from Mumbai. When we were in Mumbai he went home to see his mom. I gave him $820.00 to give it to his mom. At the end of the cruise I gave Hannah the other waiter $820.00

Because to my foot problem I spent all the sea day at the spa. I got to know all the employees there. Janice is one of the massage therapies. She has a six year old son back in the Philippine. Her mom is taking care of him. She is saving money to get a divorced. Apparently in the Philippine, you need to pay the Government $3,000.00 to get a divorce. I gave her $3,000.00. For 82 days I gave over $10,000.00 in tips. In my opinion, I cannot take it with me; why not put a smile on someones face. And, YES, they get to keep all the tips.

M

I have been fortunate to be able to sail on a world cruise and recently returned from the 37 day repositioning cruise of the Volendam, an itinerary that began in Auckland, first segment ended in Sydney, and then finished in Vancouver. I gave additional gratuities to my cabin stewards and dining room stewards at the end of each segment during the cruises. I felt that would supply them with a bit of extra spending money, in case that was needed and desired by them, during the cruise for them to use during whatever time they have off. In every case, they were surprised--and pleased--to receive the additional gratuity. And, I made it clear to them that it was indeed an additional gratuity.

For bartenders and lounge stewards, any extra gratuity I might offer was done so at the time of service.

One steward on long cruises who I think gets overlooked is the young man who brings around the iced tea, lemonade, and water on the Lower Promenade Deck. He also takes care of putting the cushions out and taking them in during the late afternoon. If he serves you frequently, one might consider a small gratuity at the end of the cruise. On the Amsterdam, I gave the gentleman his envelope with my thanks for his service and he nearly went into shock!

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for..That's what we'll do too..I agree about remembering the little guy who serves dinks & pea soup out on deck..:)

I would tip the staff at the end of each segment ..remember some crew will leave the ship & new crew will replace them

The crew may not do the whole cruise that you are on .....contracts vary

I realize that contracts sometimes change mid cruise, as we've done several cruises which last up to 28 days..As I mentioned in my previous post I always ask each Steward if they will be with us the entire cruise.. If not, we've tipped the ones who are either leaving or changing venues such as our waiters who go into open seating, prior to their disembarkation or venue change..On the 28 day cruises we normally wait until the end to do the extra envelopes for those who have been with us the entire time......

Since this is our first grand cruise, was wondering how others, handle the tipping ..I enjoy writing little notes & include the extra tip in cash with these notes..I normally flowered or sea scene note cards on my computer & bring them from home.. Actually was wondering, how many notes/envelopes we'll need..Probably about two dozen for this cruise..May have writers cramp when I get to finish the last ones..;)

Enjoyeing preparing in advance, so I'll start designing the notes next month...:)LOL..I'm putting off making our packing list, but have even started to buy clothes for the trip & will start on DH's clothes next month, even though our cruise is 7 months away..:eek: Yes, know it's dumb, but I like something to look forward too even though I'm mostly ambivalent about this long cruise by ourselves..We have wonderful Friends, who we've been cruising with for many years & they can't cruise with us this time..:(I'm very sad about that..

Thank you both for your input..

cheers....Betty

Apparently I have opened a can of worms here on the board...and I mean a BIG can....lol

Sorry I was away for the weekend and could not log on to respond to all your questions ( many albeit )

To start off, tipping at the beginning of the cruise and at the end of the cruise is neither an insult to crewmembers nor any benefits. These are all someones preference. Off course, some stewards will take this as a "knowing what to expect" at the end of the cruise and give better service. As I say, to each its own.

For a poster to think that the auto tip is a scam is just baseless. I am surprise that this "scam" works, I wonder why it is not implemented on hotels and train travels, restaurant and other service based industry. Your notion that the cruise line will be able to charge a lower fare and scam the cruiser is beyond me.

I am sure that hotel rates are low because they expect the guest to tip the stewards that cleans the room or pay the server more tips for offering service to the guest. Or the Amtrak train offering low cost travel because they expect the rider to pony up money to pay for their conductor and engineers. You comparison to a mercedes is just out of whack. When a manufacturer builds a car, all overheads are included in the price you pay. Whatever they sell for are profits. That is why they can offer you a deep discounts on cars.

If you are running for President, with that kind of logic and notion, I am sure you will garner lots of voters. :rolleyes:

From what I understand and I will admit I may be wrong on this but whatever gratuities that cabin stewards get goes directly to them. Again, this will also depends of the honesty of the crew member if they have to share their tips.

And yes, they will have a list of passengers in their section who removes the grats. The latter I know because on my last ship, I was the night manager and I prepare a report for the Executive Housekeeper and gets sent to them every morning.

For passengers on a world cruise or cruise that lasted longer than 10 days, gets paid out at the end of their cruise or monthly whichever comes first. For crew members that leave in between, their share of the grats get prorated to whatever dates they work till and get paid to them when they leave. So when the new cabin steward joins and replaces him or her, they start off fresh.

Lastly to clarify,my being here is just to give you a perspective of a cruise staff. I am in no way representing my cruise line nor any other cruise line. Some information provided here are just basic information to the best of my knowledge and from what I see from some posters, seems to be nit picking all the small information. Now I see why not many cruise staff post on boards...:rolleyes:

Please don't let the 'pickers' steer you away from here.

The vast majority of us are appreciative of your time and efforts to share info with us.

Seeing you work so closely with the public, you know you can never please all of the people all of the time. :eek: :D

Lastly to clarify,my being here is just to give you a perspective of a cruise staff. I am in no way representing my cruise line nor any other cruise line. Some information provided here are just basic information to the best of my knowledge and from what I see from some posters, seems to be nit picking all the small information. Now I see why not many cruise staff post on boards...:rolleyes:

Please know that I, for one, appreciate you coming on these boards to give your perspective. I think others on this thread do as well. Ignore the ones who don't care to take the information - not sure why they would care to comment anyway.

Thank you!

Please know that I, for one, appreciate you coming on these boards to give your perspective. I think others on this thread do as well. Ignore the ones who don't care to take the information - not sure why they would care to comment anyway.

Thank you!

I'll second that! :D

Cruise Staff -- you're right that this is (and has always been) a hot-button topic, but you've managed to shed some much-needed light upon it. Personally, I'd like to see you address a whole range of topics, from the point of view of a cruise ship crew member -- in all your spare time, of course! ;):cool:

I realize that contracts sometimes change mid cruise, as we've done several cruises which last up to 28 days..As I mentioned in my previous post I always ask each Steward if they will be with us the entire cruise.. If not, we've tipped the ones who are either leaving or changing venues such as our waiters who go into open seating, prior to their disembarkation or venue change..On the 28 day cruises we normally wait until the end to do the extra envelopes for those who have been with us the entire time......

cheers....Betty

We have done a few B2B's up to 36 days and we always give extra at the end of each segment even if the crew are continuing on ..they always appreciate it

but it is our choice to do it that way

There is no rule so what ever works best for you

Enjoy the longer cruise ;)

Cruise Staff thank you for posting & clarifying the Auto tip..

However, I have a couple of questions:

!) We are going on a long (almost 9 week) cruise next year & part of the Amenity package the Cruise Line is giving us for booking before May 31, is "Prepaid Gratituities".. Will the Crew get that entire amount or will the Cruise Line keep part of it..

2) We normally do not pre-tip as we do not want to insult our Stewards..However, would it be proper to give a partial additional tip every few weeks throughout the cruise to our Cabin Stewards, Dining Room stewards, Wine Stewards, etc. or is it best to wait until the very end of the cruise to give them extra?

I would be interested in having others who have taken either a Grand Cruise or World Cruise give their opinion about these questions too..

Thanks again..

Betty

Hi Betty,

To answer your first question, with the amenity package, the prepaid gratuities will be charged on to your onboard account and a credit will be applied. Most likely, and I might be wrong on this, the first day of the cruise, you will see a huge credit posted for the gratuities and then will see a daily charge on your passenger folio. This charge will still be as if you didn't get any grats payment prepaid. And yes, whatever amount of grats will be placed in the pool and the cruiseline will not get a share of it.

For the second question, giving additional tips during your cruise is totally up to each individual preference. As you are able to read from posters above, it is a very explosive and delicate subject. If it was up to me, I would tip as and when I get great service from the crew members. Bearing in mine, most charges from the restaurants and bars include an automatic service charge (another controversial subject) added to your bill. Again, it all depends on how you rate good or excellent service.

Its so cool that you are doing such an amazing long cruise and hope you will have as much fun and relaxation as you can. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Please don't let the 'pickers' steer you away from here.

The vast majority of us are appreciative of your time and efforts to share info with us.

Seeing you work so closely with the public, you know you can never please all of the people all of the time. :eek: :D

Thank you!

I'll second that! :D

Cruise Staff -- you're right that this is (and has always been) a hot-button topic, but you've managed to shed some much-needed light upon it. Personally, I'd like to see you address a whole range of topics, from the point of view of a cruise ship crew member -- in all your spare time, of course! ;):cool:

Thank you for the kind words from all of you. Realizing that this was a topic that needed some basic clarifications and I thought I was doing the right thing about providing as much information as possible. I guess you can never please those who thinks that auto grats are a scam and I guess those people belong to the I am greater than having to tip people kind of attitude.

I realize that forums and boards like this are a great way to share your thoughts and opinions. That is why there is a reason why it is referred to as a forum. I have to take it with a grain of salt with some of the comments placed on this forum. I guess that dealing with the general public either standing behind the desk on a ship or sitting at home behind the desk, you just have to accept the snarly comments one makes regarding a subject that is very hot to them.

Majority of cruisers I met while working on board the ship have been pleasant to the point where you will just do about anything you can to please them. And from comments I get from you, you belong to this group. Hope I will be able to sail with you someday....:o

Does anyone really know the actual daily service charge breakdown? Today I had a discussion with someone who sails often with HAL and was told that she had been given a breakdown of the daily service charge that showed the Maitre'd in the MDR received $1.75 per person per day. Because of this charge, she always had the daily service charge removed and only gave gratuities to her actual server, bus boy in the MDR and room steward. On the other hand, I have always left the daily service charge in place, feeling that not only would my MDR service personnel and room stewards, as well as the kitchen, laundry staff, etc be included. My understanding has been that the MDR maitre'd was not included in the daily pool. Clarification of just who gets what from someone who really knows would be appreciated.

Does anyone really know the actual daily service charge breakdown? Today I had a discussion with someone who sails often with HAL and was told that she had been given a breakdown of the daily service charge that showed the Maitre'd in the MDR received $1.75 per person per day. Because of this charge, she always had the daily service charge removed and only gave gratuities to her actual server, bus boy in the MDR and room steward. On the other hand, I have always left the daily service charge in place, feeling that not only would my MDR service personnel and room stewards, as well as the kitchen, laundry staff, etc be included. My understanding has been that the MDR maitre'd was not included in the daily pool. Clarification of just who gets what from someone who really knows would be appreciated.

Most cruise lines post the breakdown on their website

Keep in mind that the gratuities for waitstaff is for all dining venues & not just the MDR

Looks like HAL is now calling it a "hotel service charge"

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Onboard+Policies

True. And that is not what we are asking about. Some of us make it our business to be appreciative of our stewards and want to reward them appropriately. Knowing how the system works could help us direct the tips to the right people, with fairness and appreciation the goal. If the system requires that when auto tips are off then all tips given directly be turned in, then we haven't done anyone any favors by giving our tips directly to the people we want to give them to. They will have been handed an amount of money that they then have to turn in. Does it help them to be given that money only to know they can't keep it? In those cases it would be better to leave the auto tips in place and then give additional tips to those we feel deserved them.

Yes, I understand about the 'some of us make it our business to be appreciative' etc and DH and I are among those people on every cruise without exception and we've been on a great many cruises.

Once I give something to someone, it is no longer my business what they do with it IMO

YMMV but to me, I've given it and it is now theirs and my interest has ceased.

(underline by me)

The reason why many of us are concerned about whether crew members keep their money or not has nothing to do with wanting to know how much they earn. From what I understand from those knowledgeable about Princess (which is my cruiseline that I've been going on since autotips were instituted), if a passenger keeps on their autotip, that money will go into a tipping pool to be distributed among the crew members in that pool, and any EXTRA$ you give a crew member, they can keep.

But if you remove the autotip, any $ you give to a crew member, must be turned into their supervisor, to be put into the tipping pool.

Many passengers will do the second, thinking they are giving their crew members more money. But if the money goes into the pool, the crew member actually can get a reduced amount, than if the autotip was kept on.

When someone mentions they're doing this on the Princess board, many will tell them it's not really helping reward the crew member for that reason. Some people-- the new cruisers -- will admit they didn't know this. Some others will say they don't believe the Princess vets.

...I guess you can never please those who thinks that auto grats are a scam and I guess those people belong to the I am greater than having to tip people kind of attitude...

There is a difference between "auto grats" and "tips". "Auto grats" are added automatically to my onboard account, and are used to supplement the wages the cruiseline pays to the crew. I have no control over how they are distributed. "Tips" are what I personally decide to give to individual crew members based on the service they have provided me.

I think what some of us don't like is how the cruise lines quote a price, but with the auto grats (which are not a "tip", but a surcharge), the base price of the cruise is actually higher than the quote. I would prefer they just add it into the quote they give me, instead of me having to read the "fine print" and do the math to figure out what the base price of what my cruise really will be.

It's like how many hotels these days quote a per night price, then when you're checking in, they inform you that there is a $10-$25 "daily resort fee". Just give me the real price up front!

There was also a time when airlines were charging "fuel surcharges". I booked a flight on Priceline once and won't ever again because I bid a certain amount, won my bid, but found out afterwards that the amount I was actually paying was $50 more per ticket because of the fuel surcharge. Just give me the actual price up front so I can decide if I can afford it or if I consider it worth it.

That's where the idea of it being a "scam" comes in. The cruiseline is advertising one price, but the actual price is higher. Just include the amount in the cruise fare quoted, and if we want to tip additional we will.

And just to be clear, I have always tipped staff on cruises extra in addition to the auto gratuities, because, on my few cruises, they have always provided me with exceptional service.

Cruise Staff, I, too, truly appreciate the insight and information you provide here. Just wanted to give you an idea why some of us don't like how automatic gratuities are currently marketed.

There is a difference between "auto grats" and "tips". "Auto grats" are added automatically to my onboard account, and are used to supplement the wages the cruiseline pays to the crew. I have no control over how they are distributed. "Tips" are what I personally decide to give to individual crew members based on the service they have provided me.

I think what some of us don't like is how the cruise lines quote a price, but with the auto grats (which are not a "tip", but a surcharge), the base price of the cruise is actually higher than the quote. I would prefer they just add it into the quote they give me, instead of me having to read the "fine print" and do the math to figure out what the base price of what my cruise really will be.

It's like how many hotels these days quote a per night price, then when you're checking in, they inform you that there is a $10-$25 "daily resort fee". Just give me the real price up front!

There was also a time when airlines were charging "fuel surcharges". I booked a flight on Priceline once and won't ever again because I bid a certain amount, won my bid, but found out afterwards that the amount I was actually paying was $50 more per ticket because of the fuel surcharge. Just give me the actual price up front so I can decide if I can afford it or if I consider it worth it.

That's where the idea of it being a "scam" comes in. The cruiseline is advertising one price, but the actual price is higher. Just include the amount in the cruise fare quoted, and if we want to tip additional we will.

And just to be clear, I have always tipped staff on cruises extra in addition to the auto gratuities, because, on my few cruises, they have always provided me with exceptional service.

Cruise Staff, I, too, truly appreciate the insight and information you provide here. Just wanted to give you an idea why some of us don't like how automatic gratuities are currently marketed.

If that is the case then cruise lines will have to have 2 sets of prices for the passengers. One set of price for passengers not wanting to pay for the auto grats and the other for passengers wishing to pay for it.

If that is the case, passenger will then be disputing the fact that they were not offered the lower fare or cruise lines dealing with irate passengers who supposedly says that they were not told of the 2 different set of prices after paying for the higher amount.

Also, knowing people, they will argue the fact that when offering prices with the auto grats already all in, cruise line will supposedly take their fundamental right to choose in having cruise line "forcing" passengers to pay for the auto grats.

Another unwanted issue that cruise lines have to deal with. Just my opinion though and again, to each its own.

......You may not care what happens to your money, but I certainly do mine. When I give money to someone or some cause, I want it to go where I intend it to go, not some unknown bottomless pit. Knowing where it goes makes it easier for me to know the best course to take to direct the money where I want it to go.
We like when a cruise line prints the breakout of where the daily amounts charged for gratuities are actually going.

That makes it easier to determine how much you want to give in additional tips and to whom.

When a cruise line just shows it as a lump sum of X dollars per day for the staff without breaking out how much goes to the waiter, stateroom attendant, etc. then passengers start to wonder how much, if any, is going to those in management positions.

I would prefer it if the cruise price just reflected the real cost and be done with it. Then tips could genuinely just be that, a recognition of the good service received, rather than feeling we're supplementing wages.

We went on our first cruise last year, and are booked on another next year. I have removed automatic tipping - not because I don't intend to pay it, and even though I'm British ;) will give at least the minimum recommended - but because tips seem to be given in dollars. So I keep an eye on the exchange rate, and when the pound rises buy some dollars at a better rate for me. Is that so wrong? :D It just helps me budget for the cruise over the time spent waiting for it.

But being British, I still maintain that the crew members should be paid a better minimum wage, and if that means raising cruise fares, then so be it.

Your information is only helpful to a point, because it is specific to a cruiseline that you can't identify. Not all cruiselines make you pay up front so a new cruiser looking for information about RCL gratuities policy would walk away from this post with a lot of bad information.

As far as your comment about cruise staff posting on these boards, I know RCL does not allow their employess to post any more due to a few problems in the past on the RCL forum. So, I guess we can rule out RCL as your employer.;)

Your comments have been helpful for those that have figured out who you actually work for, so should I cruise that line in the future, I will know their policy.

Glad I found this piece - thanks for writing it. I have a question though and I hope you can help. I'm going on the Arcadia in August to the eastern med out of Southampton and would just like to know what currency I should be tipping in - sterling or euros. Can you enlighten me please?

Many thanks

can the waiters and cabin staffs tell if you pre-paid gratuities?

I know I'm a newbie still waiting for my first cruise (6 weeks and counting!), but according to the info we have from the cruise line, we have until the last day to make any changes to our gratuities. I don't think the staff will know until you are gone that you've been generous or a stiff.

Now, there's a good plan. :rolleyes: To plan, in advance, of even arriving on the ship to remove your tips.

I could not let these stewards knock themselves out taking care of us and then just walk away. Where is their incentive to continue doing their very best for all of us?

Make sure you get great service and then leave without 'saying thank you'.

Hope you never plan to return to the same ship if someone does that.

We always comment what wonderful memories the crews have. How they remember our names, when we last sailed with them, what ship, bartender knows our 'drink'.....

That same great memory will also remember you were so nice and sweet and they were happy to give you great service but the last night you spent in line at the front office having tips removed so you could avoid 'thanking them'.

One other point.......

Are you aware that when you remove tips, stewards' supervisors question then as to what they could have done better to please you? What did they not do that may have disappointed you. They have to answer for your actions and that puts them in a poor position in terms of their stability at work and hope for new contract. Subtlely or not, it reflects on them.

Please think carefully about 'stiffing' them if that is the plan some of you have in mind.

This, of course, is not directed to anyone in particular but in general to all of us.

Archived