Top 5 things to do in Barbados - first time visitor

rgreenpc

• 7 years later...

I cannot recommend Elegance Catamaran Cruises enough. We have cruised with Elegance twice. The entire experience is top notch and something you will not forget. Sarah and Callie and the rest of the crew go out of their way to make this the best day of your vacation. The day generally starts with a swim with the sea turtles (this is of course after eating the fresh baked banana bread and your first round of drinks :). It is truly spectacular! The day continues to get better as they serve you an amazing fresh Bajan lunch with champagne. After this they take you to some great snorkeling sites and some relaxing spots where you can swim and soak up some sun. Meanwhile during all of this, your glass will never be empty as they have a top shelf bar on board and the crew is constanty doting on their guest. The limit the amount of people they allow on the boat, so you have plenty of space and feel like kings and queens of the world for the entire day!

We rented a car and drove around the island. Other than right in Bridgetown it was pretty easy to navigate, plus getting lost was half the fun! We drove up the coast to Speightown, hung a right and crossed the northern half of the island and found the windmill. Then we drove down to Bathsheba. The Atlantic coast is so beautiful. We made our way to Gun Hill Signal Station which had some incredible views, then back to the ship. Driving on the left and shifting gears with your left hand is a real experience!

Thank you for your kind comments and glad you had a good time with us.

I won't tell your wife,if you don't tell my husband...only joking !

Sandy

Is this tour something we could do with our 1.5 and 3.5 year old sons? Really struggling to find something toddler friendly for the day.

• 4 weeks later...

i have been to barbados before but going on my first cruise and a friend just came back from a week's trip and said she visited a new chocolate factory right around the corner from the cruise pier which is a must must do. fantastic dark chocolate - she said the tour was only $15 and have to make a reservation. so i think i only have 4 things on my agenda for barbados which is all near each other:

1. agapey chocolate factory

2. atlantis submarine

3. mount gay rum

4. shopping at the pier shops

i have been to barbados before but going on my first cruise and a friend just came back from a week's trip and said she visited a new chocolate factory right around the corner from the cruise pier which is a must must do. fantastic dark chocolate - she said the tour was only $15 and have to make a reservation. so i think i only have 4 things on my agenda for barbados which is all near each other:

1. agapey chocolate factory

2. atlantis submarine

3. mount gay rum

4. shopping at the pier shops

Welcome to CC!

• 2 weeks later...

There are so many threads on Barbados that I don’t know where to start so this looked like the best place. I can use some guidance.

We will be in Barbados in January – in port from 8am to 5pm. We prefer not to book through the cruise line – smaller vans, more personal and, of course, cheaper <g>). We want to see the island and the highlights but – because we burn easily – we can go snorkeling and we don’t want another boat ride <g>. I know there are things near the port like the Rum Factory and Chocolate Factory but we’d like to see the island too. The couple tour companies listed seem to involve catamarans, which are not of interst.

Anyone have recommendations for a full or half-day tour with a local operator? I know we can hire a taxi but I’d feel better with a recommendation.

Thanks!

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I gravitated towards this thread too - we'll be in Barbados in February for 2 1/2 days - because hubby had fun but got seasick on his first 7 day cruise, we're doing this one as 2 days in Puerto Rico, three night cruise, then 2 1/2 days in Barbados (hopefully this cures his seasick problem - but if not at least we have fun the rest of the time!) and we'd love ideas.

We're the beach/party types, do not want to rent a car and shopping bores us... so suggestions?! I saw some good ones on page one, but they were a few years old - are those still valid? While we love traveling as a couple, we also enjoy meeting people and hanging out.

I gravitated towards this thread too - we'll be in Barbados in February for 2 1/2 days - because hubby had fun but got seasick on his first 7 day cruise, we're doing this one as 2 days in Puerto Rico, three night cruise, then 2 1/2 days in Barbados (hopefully this cures his seasick problem - but if not at least we have fun the rest of the time!) and we'd love ideas.

I also am prone to seasickness, especially as I've gotten older. :( I got so sick on a 3-day Bahamas cruise I was afraid I'd never be able to cruise or snorkel again. But a couple of years later the family wanted to take a 7-day Western Caribbean. Taking ginger capsules every day of the cruise helped me immensely. Even with tendered ports, a day of snorkeling with the rays, and a night of rough seas (a little noticeable rolling) at the end of the cruise, I didn't get seasick even once. Hope this helps.

Archived