Where to stay in New York before a cruise?

cruise 101

Hi, my DH and I are planning to stay one night in New York before our HAL Bermuda cruise. I could get either a night at Sheraton Laguardia East in Flushing or a night at BW Convention Centre near Javits Center using points. On the Sheraton website it said that the hotel is within walking distance to subway # 7 station. Has anyone stay at either of these hotels and which one is better as far as the hotel quality, ease to Manhattan cruise terminal? If we stay at Sheraton East can we take subway # 7 to the pier easily if we only have one medium luggage and one carry on between the two of us? We've been to New York once, before Sept 11, so would like to sight see a bit and window shopping also. Thank you.

I've stayed at the Sheraton Laguardia and it is very close to the 7 train, and it's very nice with an Asian theme. Some rooms have really good views of the airport, with planes taking off right at you!

It is also surrounded by some of the most amazing Asian restaurants you will ever find in your life, unless you go to a large Asian city, and even then you won't have the variety.

7 Train takes you to Port Authority which is a short (20 minute?) walk from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

The Best Western is actually IN Manhattan, if that's important to you, and is a few steps closer to the pier. You don't have to take a subway to see Times Square or any of the other sights.

If your baggage has wheels, either of these is easy access to the pier (or an under $10 taxi ride). Where do you want to be for your time in NYC?

It seems both hotels are equally good. I'd like to go to Time Square and any department store, maybe Macy. If I stay at BW is it easy to take the airport bus from LGA to a subway # 7 station, and then to Time Square and then walk from there to the hotel? My luggages are on wheels. Thanks.

It seems both hotels are equally good. I'd like to go to Time Square and any department store, maybe Macy. If I stay at BW is it easy to take the airport bus from LGA to a subway # 7 station, and then to Time Square and then walk from there to the hotel? My luggages are on wheels. Thanks.

For LaGuardia Airport transportation information, see http://www.exploringmonkey.com/454/laguardia-lga-airport-transportation-new-york/

For New York subway information, see http://mta.info/ and click on "Subway" under "Getting There."

I see that the Best Western Convention Center Hotel has gotten generally positive reviews on TripAdvisor, but personally I would be wary about staying there--it's not in the world's greatest area. (But I haven't been to the Javits Convention Center in several years; maybe the area has improved somewhat since I was last there.)

I just walked past there 2 days ago on my way to the ferry. The area around the Javits is very different then it was a few years ago. The whole revitilazation of Hell's Kitchen has come very far. It is a relatively short walk to Times Square and Herald Square (Macy's) I would pick it over staying in Queens any day.

Thanks for all the replies. I made a mistake with the hotels. I only have enough points to stay at Sheraton in Flushing. But with the subway # 7 near by I think it will be fine to go to Time Square and Port Authority to get a taxi to the cruise port.

Thanks for all the replies. I made a mistake with the hotels. I only have enough points to stay at Sheraton in Flushing. But with the subway # 7 near by I think it will be fine to go to Time Square and Port Authority to get a taxi to the cruise port.

Just an FYI-a few words about the #7 subway. IT can be VERY crowded an awful lot of the time, so be prepared, particularly since you have luggage.

I have taken it from the station by Citi Field to Port Authority quite a few times. On almost all the trips, I have had to stand until the station just before it goes under the East River (all the way through Queens). Saturday morning, about 10AM, so packed it looked like the subway going to Yankee stadium on a game day. Rush hour-forget it. About 2PM it is fine and again at 8PM.

Just remember that the Sheraton Flushing is situated in the largest Chinatown in the USA. The streets are crowded, crowded. The stores are crowded, crowded. The traffic is almost as bad as Bejing. But it is truly an experience you should enjoy.

I only have enough points to stay at Sheraton in Flushing. But with the subway # 7 near by I think it will be fine to go to Time Square and Port Authority to get a taxi to the cruise port.

I would suggest you take the LIRR from Flushing to Penn Station rather than the 7 train to Times Square. You'll actually have room for your luggage, you can sit down, and you won't be the most unpopular person on the subway; as Greatam says, the 7 can be very, very crowded.

I didn't know about LIRR. I will search some info on their website for schedules and fares and if I have to buy ticket in advance for the luggage. Can I assume that the Flushing station for subway and for LIRR are very close to each other since they both use track? Will taxi from Penn station to the Manhattan cruise terminal be around $10 plus tip?

Greatam, thanks for the info re Chinatown being very crowded but I think we will be OK because I'm from Toronto and our Chinatown also very busy.

LIRR Port Washington Branch stops in Flushing Queens. The LIRR name for the station is "Flushing - Main Street". The station does not have a ticket window but you can use the ticket machine. If traveling on the weeknd you can get the "City Ticket" which is only $3.75 per person for travel starting and ending in NYC (exception Far Rockaway Branch/Belmont Race Track). Off Peak is $6.25/Peak $8.75 for weekdays. Do NOT by the ticket on the train, surcharges bring it up to $12/$15 even on weekends when City Ticket is available.

Port Washington branch is the only line that does not run thru Jamaica Station an a very quick ride to Penn Station. Service is hourly on weekends at the ":38", will arrive on the ":05" at Penn. Only stops at Woodside (unless Mets are playing) then Penn. There is talk about bringing back 30 minute service.

I agree the LIRR train over the 7 subway. Also several weekends this summer the 7 WILL NOT run into Manhattan as they are working on the Steinway Tube or the tunnel under the East River the 7 runs in. You would have to transfer to the N train at Queensboro Plaza.

The Taxi from Penn Station will be no more than $12 with tip.

http://www.mta.info for both subway and Long Island Railroad.

When selecting ticket on TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) after you select Penn Station you will see a list of types of tickets, Peak/Off Peak/ Disabled....

At the end of the list will be CitiTicket if you qualify for it.

By the way, Main Street Flushing is very heavily Asian a "China Town" onto itself. A busy transit hub 24/7 and safe.

Thank you Brighton Line for the information about LIRR. Sorry I did not response sooner, I have not browse this web for a few days. I will search the LIRR website to see if I qualify for the City Ticket.

Archived