Can you use your own snorkel gear on CoCo Cay?

gatur123fl

I did a chat message with Royal Caribbean and they said to use our own snorkeling equipment and snorkel on CoCo cay it would be the same cost as if we did the excursion. Has that been your experience? Maybe the person who looked it up was mistaken?

Here is what I have done twice, I've been to Coco Cay in 2007 and 2010, I know some of the replies you shall receive, but this is fact as they were then. Both times I did take my own snorkel gear which consists of a mask with a digital camera, snorkel tube and fins. If you rent gear from shop on the island they will require you to also wear an inflatable vest. Some will tell you that if you bring your own gear they will make you rent the vest. That is not totally true. If you go out with a group that is organized by RC they will, but if you and a friend of three go out on your own, you don't have to rent the vest. The vest isn't a bad thing, it can be helpful, but if your a strong swimmer and take breaks on land or flotation device you don't need the vest and I find it cumbersome. There is nobody on the island or in the water patroling looking for vest complaince.

Coco Cay is a great place to snorkel and lots to see. Perhaps I'll upload some of my pictures taken underwater here. Now to read your replies.

Do you need fins? I'm thinking of getting a snorkel set for CoCoCay next week...are there lockers on the island to store personal bags?

No, but fins help you go futher underwater with less effort on one breath, the result is you see more with less effort.

out to those.

If you don't own a snorkel vest, you will be required to rent one since those are required. They rent for less than $10 as far as I can remember.

Only if you ask and try to join in with the group, otherwise, not actually required to snorkel on your own.

My sister works in the health care field, and without sharing graphic details, has told me of unpleasant health issues as a direct result of unsanitary snorkel equipment rentals. Go to your nearest Sam's Club or Costco and purchase a decent quality mask/snorkel for around $50.

As per most things, you get what you pay for, while there is some cheap toy gear at these pleaces there are also decent quality gear for around $50 as this person said. One tip, gear that comes with its own carrying bag/case is very convenient for cruising.

So if we want to snorkel around the sunken plane and boat, we need to rent the vests, but if we snorkel just off the beach, do we still need the vests? Can you put the cost of the vest on your sea card, or do we need cash? Is the rental for all day, or by the hour? Thanks : )

Sorry to bomb the thread with messages after it started, but yes you can put the vest on your seapass card, but no you don't have to, if you go in the water and follow people to those locations nobody will bother you. I've done it twice.

The cost of the vest can be put on your Seapass and is for all day. I don't know exactly where the lifeguards will start yelling at you if you don't have a vest, but at some point they will. By the way, snorkeling just off the beach would be pointless because the water is all stirred up and you can't see much of anything until you get away from the beach.

A, they never spoke a word to me in 2 full days.

B. I have had some pretty good snorkeling just off the beach once you get into water deep enough that you can't stand (7 ft or so). I had some of the most clear snorkeling days here just off the beach and a little further out. I'll see if I can find the sting ray photo I took in 7 feet of water in easy reach of the beach.

Thanks so much! So are there other places besides the sunken boat and plane that are worth checking out? We leave tomorrow for our July 15th cruise on the Freedom and I'm trying to figure out how much cash to bring with us. We're also going parasailing on Coco Cay and trying to figure the tip. Fun days ahead!

I have yet to go to the other side of the island away from where the ship stays, but on the side where you can see the ship, I have found lots of interesting sea life all up and down that side of the island within 50 yards of the shore and the common places people have been mentioning are good as well.

Yes, if you are on the beach looking at the lifeguard stations, to the left is a large area between rocks that you can swim thru to get to a more interesting reef area. You can't go too far because there are buoys out there to delimit the safe swimming area. Currents can be stronger in this area.

This area does have lots of interesting formations and a lot of schools of colorful fish. Again, I'll see if I can find the photos of this area. The water here is around 12-15 ft deep.

You have to wear a vest ...

Again totally not my experience, a vest is helpful if your not a strong swimmer, but I've never seen anyone say., "put on a vest" unless you were renting your equipment.

We always use our own gear. There's a spit of land that juts out and separates the snorlke beach from the next section of the beach, and we've had good luck seeing fish, rays, etc. without having to go out to the plane area.

Agreed completely. While there may be days when things get murked up, I've found once you get into area that people can't stand, its been very clear within 50ft of shore

We have never been yelled at or forced to wear anything on all 3 trips to CoCoCay. And visability depends on the beach, we had terrific viz at the sports beach where I saw my first ever octopus:

View My Video Keep looking he's there, clutching a white shell! Heres a still, he is in the upper right corner, pretty in pink: 2mpwe1v.jpg

Try to continue on around the back to the way back beaches, real shallow water and tones of critters and no people. We love it back there.

Outstanding! This looks like some of my pics/video, I didn't see the octopus because of the camaloge, but I wondered why you were fixating on that shell! Nice job, now I need to book a cruise going back to Cococay again! (Maybe Freedom)

Same goes for me.

Actually, I even need the life vest. You want to stay out there so long because it's so awesome. Often, I'm quite exhausted coming back and without the fins and life jacket, I wouldn't make it probably!

You make a good point, but you can learn to take breaks and relax at the surface. You can roll over on your back, breath deep and then in and out slowly not fully exhaling and float pretty good if the seas are calm, which they have been my two trips here. On rough days this is a lot harder.

Outstanding! This looks like some of my pics/video, I didn't see the octopus because of the camaloge, but I wondered why you were fixating on that shell! Nice job, now I need to book a cruise going back to Cococay again! (Maybe Freedom)

Bill we will be on Freedom at the Caye in November and now that I know he's still there, I can share him with my grandkids! I'm excited about that. He would not let go of that shell even though it was empty (I'm sure he had just consumed it's contents!) and that is how I noticed him. I tried to take it from him, he said "No"!:p

BTW, for all who are going to purchase gear, after many brands and different kinds of snorkels, I can say the US Divers Dry Snorkel which you can purchase from Amazon is the best snorkel ever. You will absolutely not get water in your mouth, even if you dip it in the water above your head. I always had trouble with water getting in my mouth and could hardly blow it out the snorkel, but no more. I love it. Just a hint. Kingsgirl: I believe fins are a must for just that reason. When you're tired, it's really hard to swim back to shore without them. You can buy short fins that pack well just for snorkeling on Amazon also. We take our Teleoz fins on every cruise. They velcro on and you can wear them with or without water shoes. Tried to post link but they would not allow, just google Zeagle Teleoz review. But there are many others, some just look like vinyl web socks but will all work well for snorkeling.

BTW, disappointed that they moved this to an obscure site since it is RCCL specific and very useful.

Someone needs to acquaint BillOh with the multi-quote feature. :)

I've got several dry-top snorkels -- VERY important if the waters at Cococay are rough -- but my best so far is the Cobra model from Promate. Not only does it stay dry when you submerge, but it doesn't let much water in even if you exhale underwater and cause the top valve to flutter open. I like Promate's masks, too; their 'Raven' model frameless low-volume mask is so awesome I bought two. :) (on eBay)

Fins aren't essential for CocoCay but on a day with rough seas, they're close to it. There was one lady who had slogged all the way out to the sunken wrecks on the right side without fins and said it had been a real challenge...and she said she was a good swimmer (and looked it).

The deeper snorkeling section was closed due to the rough seas that day.

As per most things, you get what you pay for, while there is some cheap toy gear at these pleaces there are also decent quality gear for around $50 as this person said. One tip, gear that comes with its own carrying bag/case is very convenient for cruising.

Do you have a particular snorkel set hat you recommend? I've been looking and I want a purging snorkel, airtight mask and good fins. Do you think the shorter travel size fins work just as well?? Help!!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

For the occasional or "vacation" snorkeler, US Divers, Body Glove and Aqua Lung, all make VERY nice sets. Most of them will even come in a back-pack style carrying case. The shorter fins are like you said, for travel. While they make for a smaller package, the fin itself is going to be less efficient while in the water.

The "dry" or "submersible" snorkels are a must!! (in my opinion) They really make the whole experience more enjoyable. The kits should range between $35-$55. Check Amazon.com, Dicks Sporting Goods or even Wal-Mart.

Coco Cay is a blast!! Being that it will be your first time there, just head on over to the snorkel briefing that they will do. They will give you all the locations of the good snorkel spots.

Have fun!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
For the occasional or "vacation" snorkeler, US Divers, Body Glove and Aqua Lung, all make VERY nice sets. Most of them will even come in a back-pack style carrying case. The shorter fins are like you said, for travel. While they make for a smaller package, the fin itself is going to be less efficient while in the water.

True. I bring my 'regular' length fins and put them in the bottom of my drop-bottom rolling duffel. I use it on cruises for that exact purpose and they fit....barely.

The "dry" or "submersible" snorkels are a must!! (in my opinion) They really make the whole experience more enjoyable. The kits should range between $35-$55. Check Amazon.com, Dicks Sporting Goods or even Wal-Mart.

Or eBay. There are a number of well-established (6,000+ positive feedback) watersports providers with good prices and sometimes free shipping there. It's a bit late in the season now to find swimming/snorkel gear at Wal-Mart...I looked. :)

I was very disappointed with the swimming/snorkeling selection at my nearby Dick's, but YMMV.

Coco Cay is a blast!! Being that it will be your first time there, just head on over to the snorkel briefing that they will do. They will give you all the locations of the good snorkel spots.

Have fun!!!!!

Definitely this. Even though I brought my own mask, fins and snorkel, I attended the briefing and was really glad I did. They tell you where the sunken planes, cannons and other artifacts are, and where you're likely to see the most fish. (Although they didn't mention that they feed the fish at the lifeguard stand near the sunken cannons...there had to be over a thousand fish in the area!)

Sorry to hijack the thread but I think my query is relevant. Can you hire the full kit for snorkelling if you don't want to go on the excursion. By 'full kit' I mean mask, flippers (fins) and vest. We already have our own snorkels and would prefer to use these. If you can rent them can you tell me how much it would all cost please?

Thanks

Yes, if you are on the beach looking at the lifeguard stations, to the left is a large area between rocks that you can swim thru to get to a more interesting reef area. You can't go too far because there are buoys out there to delimit the safe swimming area. Currents can be stronger in this area.

Which beach are we talking about?

• 1 month later...
Sorry to hijack the thread but I think my query is relevant. Can you hire the full kit for snorkelling if you don't want to go on the excursion. By 'full kit' I mean mask, flippers (fins) and vest. We already have our own snorkels and would prefer to use these. If you can rent them can you tell me how much it would all cost please?

Thanks

I was there on Sept. 24 and rented just the mandatory vest for $6; I took my own mask and snorkels and did without flippers because I wasn't going very far out. I'll have to check my photos at home to see if I have a picture of the prices. You can rent other pieces.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone used their rental snorkel equipment before? I'm honestly not worried about getting any sort of disease or anything - I'm sure my cell phone has more germs on it than their clean snorkel gear - but at the same time it kind of gives me the heebie-jeebies. And as my BF pointed out - it's really not much different than using the silverware and drinking glasses on the ship.

I thought about purchasing my own gear and bringing it, but I don't really feel like spending 50 bucks on something I probably will never use again :rolleyes:

Archived