New to Forum/Alaska Question

LittleNoah

We will be flying into Anchorage on 5/14/05 for our 5/15/05 cruise. Can someone please tell me what time the train to Seward leaves, how do I get to the train station and how long of a trip it is.

Is there only one train to Seward a day?

Thank you for any help. :confused:

There are 2 trains on cruise days, the regular run and a ship contracted train at about twice the cost. :( The cruise contracted usually leaves mid/late morning and allows no time for Seward touring, My suggestion: if you aren't already- book the Regular run of the Alaska RR and DO SOMETHING great in Seward. My top recommendation is a Kenai fjords boat tour, at 11:30am Kenai Fjords will pick up at the depot with advance notice, and store your bags. Then just a short cab ride to the ship when you return.

Take a cab to the depot.

There are 2 trains on cruise days, the regular run and a ship contracted train at about twice the cost. :( The cruise contracted usually leaves mid/late morning and allows no time for Seward touring, My suggestion: if you aren't already- book the Regular run of the Alaska RR and DO SOMETHING great in Seward. My top recommendation is a Kenai fjords boat tour, at 11:30am Kenai Fjords will pick up at the depot with advance notice, and store your bags. Then just a short cab ride to the ship when you return.

Take a cab to the depot.

I bought my train tickets when I booked my cruise. :( You are right, it was about $100/person. So, we won't have any time to see Seward? My husband and I are bringing my Mom who is 75. I would rather cruise in warmer weather, but she has wanted to see Alaska her whole life. My Dad died in 1998 and she has just been so sad since. We also lost a 3 year old family member last year....so I am hoping to cheer her up. She is dying to see a whale!!

So, do I still get on the train at Alaska RR? I am so confused. Believe it or not, this is our 6th cruise....but I've never had to take a long train ride to the port. Is there anywhere I can read the info. on the cruiseline contracted train to find out what time it leaves?

Thanks for all of your help, I have enjoyed reading all of your informative posts. :)

The cruise contracted train doesn't arrive in Seward till almost 6pm,no time to really see or do anything in Seward before your cruise.I highly recommend cancelling the cruise contracted train and do the regular run that leaves at 6:45am.You'll save some $$ and will also have time to do a wildlife cruise with a very good chance of seeing whales.

Which ever train ride you take,when you board try to sit on the right side, for better views of turn again arm and possibly seeing some whales.

I second the idea of taking the regular early morning run of the train, which leaves from the train station downtown. Many hotels have shuttles that will take you there, but be early as it can get crowded. If you decide to do this, you would also want to book your 6hr Kenai Fjords NP tour for 11:30 and ask to be picked up at train station in Seward. They will pick you up and store your luggage while you tour.

For the cruise train later in the morning, you will leave from the Eagan Center where the cruiselines will take your luggage and get you to the train by bus. The buses going to Seward leave from this same center.

I bought my train tickets when I booked my cruise. :( You are right, it was about $100/person. So, we won't have any time to see Seward? My husband and I are bringing my Mom who is 75. I would rather cruise in warmer weather, but she has wanted to see Alaska her whole life. My Dad died in 1998 and she has just been so sad since. We also lost a 3 year old family member last year....so I am hoping to cheer her up. She is dying to see a whale!!

So, do I still get on the train at Alaska RR? I am so confused. Believe it or not, this is our 6th cruise....but I've never had to take a long train ride to the port. Is there anywhere I can read the info. on the cruiseline contracted train to find out what time it leaves?

Thanks for all of your help, I have enjoyed reading all of your informative posts. :)

DEFINATELY cancel this cruise contracted train and book your own. You are making a big mistake missing out on touring Seward and you certainly won't be doing much in Anchorage prior to the cruise contracted train. Seats have always been assigned on the trains I have been on.

Take a cab to the depot.

Where can I find out about the Kenai Fjords boat tour? I will be going the opposite way docking in Seward at 8:00am and have to be at the train station by 5:00pm to catch the train to Anchorage. Approx what time would you suggest booking the boat tour?

DEFINATELY cancel this cruise contracted train and book your own. You are making a big mistake missing out on touring Seward and you certainly won't be doing much in Anchorage prior to the cruise contracted train. Seats have always been assigned on the trains I have been on.

Be sure you can get the train reservation independently before cancelling the train transfer with the cruise line!

Archived