usb port on computers?

coolmello

Was wondering if the computers on the ship have usb ports that you can use. Was thinking about getting a portable usb drive. That way i can take my digital pictures off my camera and put them on a 3GB usb drive.

Going on the sun 16 Oct 05

Was wondering if the computers on the ship have usb ports that you can use. Was thinking about getting a portable usb drive. That way i can take my digital pictures off my camera and put them on a 3GB usb drive.

Going on the sun 16 Oct 05

They machines in the internet cafes are set up to surf the web. They do not give you access to the pc. Not sure what kind of access you get if you rent a laptop for the day.

I know if I was responsible of onboard IT services I would lock those machines down and not give admin rights to the passengers.

Best answer get more memory cards or bring your own laptop.

It also seems to me that I saw where you can take your media in and they will burn the contents of the cards to a CD for you for a fee. I don't remember the fee.

I'm taking my laptop with a burner in it and a bunch of blank CD's. At 10 mb an image out of my camera I need a bunch of space for storage.

On a recent cruise I burned the images from my camera card to a CD, with the guidance and instruction of one of the computer instructors. Before I committed to the process and the price, I specifically asked to make sure this would not be a "read only" burn. I was assured it would not. Guess what--got home and couldn't do anything with the pictures.

Fortunately I still had the images on my card, otherwise this would have been a disaster. I love my USB jump drive, and appreciate knowing that's not generally an option. The xD cards are coming down in price, so I'll just plan to stock up.

And the CD seemed like such a good idea at the time.... I just hope I was a rare, unlucky instance, and that most cruise line burns are usable.

Happy cruising, and happy memories!

On a recent cruise I burned the images from my camera card to a CD, with the guidance and instruction of one of the computer instructors. Before I committed to the process and the price, I specifically asked to make sure this would not be a "read only" burn. I was assured it would not. Guess what--got home and couldn't do anything with the pictures.

I could be wrong about this, but it shouldn't matter whether the CD was burned as "read only" or "rewriteable". In either case, you should be able to copy the contents of the CD to your computer's hard drive, after which you can edit them to your heart's content. Most people have computers with CD-ROMs that are only compatible with CD-R's (read only), not CD-RW's (rewriteable); so it doesn't surprise me that they burn CD-R's.

Any time any file is written to a CD is becomes read only.

Make a folder on your computer and copy all of the images off of the CD into that folder.

Now go into that folder and select all of the files by pressing CTRL A

Now right click on the group of tagged files, and select Properties from the pop up menu.

Uncheck the box that says read only.

Now you can edit away and you will still have save copies on the cd that can't get messed up.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10306&cs_id=1030601&p_id=2063&seq=1&format=2&style=

This device allows you to copy between USB devices without a computer.

It's a bit slow, but works well, and is cheap :)

This looks like a great item (and priced great too). Do you have one?

If so, is it battery operated? From looking at their website, I get

the impression that I can hook up my digital camera with USB

cable and in another USB port put in a USB memory drive (thumb

drive) and just copy the jpg images from camera to USB drive.

Is that right?

Thanks! Any info greatly appreciated :)

The p.c. on board are set up as earlier same one above said only for surfing internet .How ever most of the NCL ships offer the service of burning your cards on CD-roms for a fee . If you want to do it your self and waste time on shore ask one of the crew where they go for internet , most of the ports and carribean offer internet services for crew for 1-2$ per hour , most of the P.C have USB ports i remeber that once i had my laptop broken i pluged my external hard drive whithout any problem . Best port in carribean Cozumel , exit down town terminal to the right walk 200m you will find on the right side the sea mens center , best port in Alaska Juneau , internet in front of the cable-car next to the cruise ship , second level , again fallow the crew.

This looks like a great item (and priced great too). Do you have one?

If so, is it battery operated? From looking at their website, I get

the impression that I can hook up my digital camera with USB

cable and in another USB port put in a USB memory drive (thumb

drive) and just copy the jpg images from camera to USB drive.

Is that right?

Thanks! Any info greatly appreciated :)

Yes, I have one. I use it with my portable hard drive.

It's very simple to use, basically it allows you to copy between mass storage devices without a computer. A USB mass storage device typically is a device such as a USB thumbdrive, digital camera, card reader, portable hard drive, etc.

You would hook up the device as follows:

camera -> Device -> ThumbDrive

camera -> Device -> Hard Drive

camera -> Device -> MP3 Player

card reader -> Device -> Hard Drive

If your camera does not require drivers to function - your camera is compatible with the device. I know for sure the Fuji S602 and the Canon S series camera will work with this device.

If you find that you camera is not compatible (unlikely considering most new cameras are mass storage devices) just purchase a card reader for ~25.00. If you don't know what a card reader is, here is a list of readers:

http://www2.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?Subcategory=69

How it works:

1. Modes of operation, Backup: ALL, MP3, JPEG, AVI, DOC.

I typically use ALL, if you select ALL, it will create a new folder each time you back up. The device will create a folder called Backup0001, Backup0002, etc.

Mp3, jpeg, etc do differential backups. It compares the file sizes, and datetime stamps to see if a file should be copied over.

I suggest people use ALL.

2. Batteries - yes it is powered by 3 AAA batteries.

3. I ordered mine from monoprice.com, took about 1 week to arrive (I'm in Canada).

This device is pretty much one touch operation - so don't expect too many fancy options (i.e. select a specific file, etc etc). It also can't delete or format files, so you'll need to clear the card manually after a transfer - this might be a good thing as it won't wreck your data ;)

So if download your pics off of your camera and than take new pictures. What if the filenames are the same. Will it save the pictures under a new folder. Or will it over write the files?

It creates a new folder each time (using the BackUp ALL function on the USB OTG Bridge):

Backup0001, Backup0002, etc

Or you can use the copy and compare function - it'll compare the filename, filesizes, and datetime stamp. If it is the same, it will not copy the file. If it is different, it'll create a new filename and append some characters to it.

Hi Kids -

Recently picked up a self contained device which copies files from your flash memory card (SD, MMC, Compact Flash, Smartmedia, Memory Stick) to a CD in one easy step.

You put in the flash card, put in a blank CD/R (about 25 cents each or less on sale) and press one button and whoosh - they are copied in one swell foop.

It's called a Kanguru FC/RW - It is not expensive (about $140 - $90 after rebate) and works off of an AC power supply (provided). They also have a newer model out but for much more $$$ (about $230).

You can do a froogle.com search and find them in lots of places.

Archived