Where to buy coffee while in Roatan?

misskkj

In July I'll be in Roatan on a Carnival cruise and want to buy some coffee to bring back as gifts. I read to shop in a local grocery store. Anyone know where I go? Where is a grocery store? Walk there? A cab? What money do I use? USD? Where if need be can I exchange money? Yeah this is my first crusie lol. Thank you.

You can buy coffee at either cruise dock. Carnival usually docks at Mahogany Bay and the coffee is in the open front white kiosk building just past the entrance way to the taxis. Comes ground or whole beans in 1 lb bags but they may sell 1/2 lb whole beans.

You will have to take a taxi to either Coxen Hole or French Harbor. There's a Sun Grocery in both towns, French Harbor has the larger store, I believe. Also a Mega Mart in French Harbor. You can buy coffee there cheaper than at the cruise ports, but maybe not so much if you add the round trip costs of the taxi. Usually the coffee is in 1 lb or larger bags. If you're taking an independent tour of the island with one of the tour companies--Victor Bodden, Rony, Chris, et. al.--they will stop anywhere you want and the drivers know the best places to find what you're looking for.

:

You can buy coffee at either cruise dock. Carnival usually docks at Mahogany Bay and the coffee is in the open front white kiosk building just past the entrance way to the taxis. Comes ground or whole beans in 1 lb bags but they may sell 1/2 lb whole beans.

You will have to take a taxi to either Coxen Hole or French Harbor. There's a Sun Grocery in both towns, French Harbor has the larger store, I believe. Also a Mega Mart in French Harbor. You can buy coffee there cheaper than at the cruise ports, but maybe not so much if you add the round trip costs of the taxi. Usually the coffee is in 1 lb or larger bags. If you're taking an independent tour of the island with one of the tour companies--Victor Bodden, Rony, Chris, et. al.--they will stop anywhere you want and the drivers know the best places to find what you're looking for.

:D Thank you so much! This will be just perfect. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Have a great day.

~Kris

If your doing any type of tour or even leaving the port then take the grocery store route. Much cheaper and better coffee available. Some like the fancier Mirumundo and other similar packaged coffees but one that is very good and often overlooked is Cafe Oro, It is ground but inside the paper bak is a bunch of 6 cup serving bags, this has got to be one of the richest darkest coffee's I have seen, almost a hybrid esspresso going on yet without any bitterness, best of all at Plaza Mar it is about $2.50 US for a bag

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We bought this coffe back from Roatan last year. My husband loves coffee, but not this one. He said it tasted sweet. My daughter came to visit and she speaks and reads spanish. She said it had sugar cane in it. Mydh is a diabetic.

I wish I could remember details such as the name of the operation, etc but if you're determined you can find this. On West Bay beach, roughly in the middle, there is a roastery that roasts and sells their coffee right there. We brought back a couple of pounds from them last year, it was really good coffee. You can't see the roastery from the beach, it's set back a little from the beach.

• 7 months later...

We bought Cafe Oro and Cafe Maya at a grocery store right next to the port (too far to walk). I don't know what the store was called but we asked the cab driver to stop at a local grocery store so we could buy some coffee. We stopped at a place really close to the port and bought 6 bags that hold the mini bags of the coffee for less than $20. Unfortunately I didn't see any whole bean coffee.

The most disappointing thing to me is that it's hard for us tourists ("traveler" if that makes people feel better about themselves) to buy good coffee in coffee-growing countries. They tend to reserve the best for specialty coffee exporting because it brings in cash. The lesser-quality beans are what the locals drink and is commonly available to purchase.

That being said, in Roatan they have mostly Arabica beans, which are still generally better than the Robusta beans used in Folgers, etc. So even mediocre coffee there tends to be better than Folgers, Maxwell House, etc.

That coffee roastery in West Bay is a great tip! Next time I'm in Roatan, I'm looking for it.

• 2 weeks later...

We bought some Cafe Oro in Roatan at Eldon's - it was really inexpensive.

I like it - even though it has a little cane sugar in it it did not taste sweet to me. Our tour guide, Francisco, said that is what his family drinks.

There really wasn't much variety in the coffee in the store there.

• 3 weeks later...
In July I'll be in Roatan on a Carnival cruise and want to buy some coffee to bring back as gifts. I read to shop in a local grocery store. Anyone know where I go? Where is a grocery store? Walk there? A cab? What money do I use? USD? Where if need be can I exchange money? Yeah this is my first crusie lol. Thank you.

At the NEW grocery store, Cafe Oro-brown bag, $2 lb used US got US change back, be sure an ask if US chg on hand.

We bought this coffe back from Roatan last year. My husband loves coffee, but not this one. He said it tasted sweet. My daughter came to visit and she speaks and reads spanish. She said it had sugar cane in it. Mydh is a diabetic.

It has 0 sugar & makes no mention of sugar cane on the bags I bought & not sweet, maybe different versions.

• 2 weeks later...

Be cautious when buying local grocery store coffee in Central America of the sugar thing other posters mentioned. It's commonly mixed into the grounds for local consumption.

I've bought the Café Pasion whole bean light roast (Central American coffees do really well with light roast plus light has more caffeine than dark roast) at the Mahogany Bay pier the last several visits. Not much cheaper than I can get a pound of good coffee for at home, but wonderful coffee and VERY freshly roasted. I think the price was about $11 a pound this past Jan. I'm kind of a coffee snob, though, and would rather pay for quality coffee. :p

Archived