Sail and Sign in the 80's

angel2wyld2

Just going down memory lane and wondered if anyone knows when they started sail and sign program. On my cruise in 1985 we paid cash and I surely don't remember what our "ticket" looked like but it was way easier to get on and off the ship. Thanks! :)

Just going down memory lane and wondered if anyone knows when they started sail and sign program. On my cruise in 1985 we paid cash and I surely don't remember what our "ticket" looked like but it was way easier to get on and off the ship. Thanks! :)

My first cruise was on the NCL Southward in February 1989 and these are some of my recollections.

I do remember having an onboard account, that was manually updated each evening, from paper tickets that I signed each time I purchased something.

The price of a drink was $1.95 plus gratuity (the same drink is now $6.75, which is 3 1/2 times as much).

Going to dinner each evening was an "event" which everyone dressed for.

The Captain's Party was really the Captain's party. He and his officers mingled with the guests for the duration of the party.

I'm sure people will have more to add.

My first cruise was on the Carnivale in 86. Then they had an option to charge your drinks to a credit card, but it wasn't mandatory. On board purchases were in cash, except for the drinks if you chose the option.

On NCL in 88, the sign and sail was in full effect IIRC.

Wow - Our first cruise, our honeymoon, was on the Southward also! I have the same recollections as you - dress for dinner, Captain's dinner especially, and he stood at the entryway greeting everyone. The one Midnight Buffet was a huge deal! I do remember being able to sign for everything onboard. One memory stands out ---- the groomsmen thought it would be funny to steal all my husband's underwear out of his suitcase, which we didn't realize til we were onboard - and unfortunately, the shop did not sell any, we had to wait days to reach a port where we could purchase some!!! Ahhhhh... Fun Times!!!!

I remember that the boarding pass was just a piece of paper that you had to show every time you re-boarded in the ports. They really didn't look at them very closely. I always wondered what would happen if someone tried to board the ship with an old boarding pass from a previous cruise or what if 2 Carnival ships were in port at the same time and someone boarded the wrong ship.

Our first cruise was on the Britanis out of NY city in the summer of 1985. It was cash mostly. You could leave a credit card at the bar and pay with it. You had to settle up at each bar at the time you were there. So you had to pay your tab every night.

The first sail & sign I remember was on the Holiday in 1992. Which was our first Carnival cruise. Do you remember the old plastic room keys with the grid of holes? The sail & sign had your room number printed on it. Much easier to find your room when you were new to the ship then.

Archived