Discount for Avis?

MeAgain2222

There are several Avis discount codes, etc. through the Entertainment book and others. Do these work with the Avis companies in Alaska? Since they have such a "captive audience" and limited competitors, they probably don't need the customers that the coupons bring since they can have full price fares, but I am curious. We need to rent a car since we will be in Anchorage area for an additional day after our cruise. We plan to drive up to Mendenhall Glacier and go trekking :-)

There are several Avis discount codes, etc. through the Entertainment book and others. Do these work with the Avis companies in Alaska? Since they have such a "captive audience" and limited competitors, they probably don't need the customers that the coupons bring since they can have full price fares, but I am curious. We need to rent a car since we will be in Anchorage area for an additional day after our cruise. We plan to drive up to Mendenhall Glacier and go trekking :-)

I haven't bought an Entertainment Book in ages, but I seem to remember there being a disclaimer on the back of the coupon about Alaska and Hawaii.

BTW - I hope you aren't driving to Mendenhall in one day - Mendenhall Glacier is near Juneau! :eek: I assume you meant the Matanuska Glacier? If so, let me know how the trek was as we plan to do the same thing when we are up there next year.

BTW - I hope you aren't driving to Mendenhall in one day - Mendenhall Glacier is near Juneau! :eek: I assume you meant the Matanuska Glacier? If so, let me know how the trek was as we plan to do the same thing when we are up there next year.

Duhhh! Yep, I meant Matanuska :rolleyes: I'll try to get back with you after we're back. My 17 yr old son has this as his "must do" excursion. We're renting a car, currently reserved at Anchorage airport and driving up the day we dock in Whittier. We'll have a 4:30 (last for the day) start time. After a 3 hour hike, we'll drive partway back to Wasilla area and stay at a B&B. Getting excited - 25 days and counting!

I assume you meant the Matanuska Glacier? If so, let me know how the trek was as we plan to do the same thing when we are up there next year.

This is an excellent trekk for a walk in. It can be of great benefit to book a private guide, then you aren't bogged down with slow people- group tours only go as fast as the slowest person. Very reasonable costs I have paid with MICA guides.

Duhhh! Yep, I meant Matanuska :rolleyes: I'll try to get back with you after we're back. My 17 yr old son has this as his "must do" excursion. We're renting a car, currently reserved at Anchorage airport and driving up the day we dock in Whittier. We'll have a 4:30 (last for the day) start time. After a 3 hour hike, we'll drive partway back to Wasilla area and stay at a B&B. Getting excited - 25 days and counting!

If you can trekk earlier it could be of benefit to do so. A three hour trek is short and by that time, the guides don't usually extend anything. You'll go out and come back. There is so much more to consider. I've never gone out for this short and time always flys by.

The only way you are going to find out if any of your codes work is to try them.

I bought an Avis coupon onine for a free day rental. The Avis in Skagway would not take it. Blackout dates - May-September!

Hopefully, I'll get a refund for the coupon.

Those are their only months of operation. Skagway Avis has never accepted any coupons and most discounts aren't valid at that particular office. Several years ago, there was a run on a travel industry code, people were raving about the rates- a few of us online were qualified, most were not. The codes were voided, at their office if you couldn't show the required proof- put an end to that attempt in a hurry when reporters come back on this board. There hasn't been any reports of general public codes that are accepted in a few years.

This is an excellent trekk for a walk in. It can be of great benefit to book a private guide, then you aren't bogged down with slow people- group tours only go as fast as the slowest person. Very reasonable costs I have paid with MICA guides.

I think MICA is who I was looking into. I have to go back and check my notes, but I think they also have a coupon in Travelsaver or Northern Lights too.

If you are a Costco member they have a discount code. We used it in Whittier and it saved us a few dollars...but not a huge amount.

I've had no problem getting the discounts in Fairbanks and Anchorage, Skagway is another story.

I think MICA is who I was looking into. I have to go back and check my notes, but I think they also have a coupon in Travelsaver or Northern Lights too.

I have gone with both MICA and Nova.

• 1 month later...
I've had no problem getting the discounts in Fairbanks and Anchorage, Skagway is another story.

I just called to book and the rep stated that they are blacked out from every code except one corporate code through something like Petrol Alaska, so not to bother wasting my time searching.

I tried several codes i found online plus all the codes for the companies I deal with. No luck for skagway. I have checked the price every few days for the past month and the price had not changed.

Sorry, it will not go down, the prices do go up.

All the cars have to be brought in from Anchorage, and they have only a small fleet. They are frequently sold out. Over the past several years, every time I've rented, there have been people stopping by, only to be told no cars available.

We rented our car with Avis at the location on B street in Anchorage (away from the airport and cheaper-even with Taxi cost to rental center from airport) and booked it through my corporate discount site and got a really good discount (I checked several options and found this was the best and may be worth checking out for you if either of you have a corporate discount program). Book early! Also, if you can be sure to drive about 10 minutes past the Matanuska Glacier - we saw some of the most breathtaking scenery of our 2 week trip! Have fun!

Archived