Trip Insurance and Amsterdam activities

vacavoyagers

Can anyone recommend a good hotel in the historic district and some not to miss activities?

We just got back and I would recommend the Scheepvaartmuseum (Maritime Museum) if you are interested in boats. It is not far from the Central Station.

I always consider NOT buying insurance, and then I always do. It's peace of mind. Make sure it includes comprehensive emergency medical care. I've been buying CSA Freestyle for a while.

As for Amsterdam, the historic district is not tiny, although you can walk from one end to another in probably about 40 minutes. It's a big horseshoe-shaped area. Some of the areas that are really central, near Dam Square are quite touristy. If you want a large, 5-star that's where you will be.

If you want a quieter area where you can see more of the city as a whole, the Museumsplein district is very nice. It's very close to the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum. It's lovely out there. Keep in mind that the public transit system is very good--the tram system will get you around the historic center very nicely.

Another lovely neighbourhood to stay in, that's close to many sights, is the Jordaan. Ann Frank house is nearby.

If you go for a smaller hotel, remember that they tend to be very vertical--narrow, several storeys high. So an elevator is a good thing to ask about.

We travel many times a year and would never go without travel insurance. So far the best pricing we've seen (for us, anyway) has been through TravelEx. I would agree, those who tell you not to bother must never have needed it.

I would just second (or is it third) the suggestion to purchase Ann Frank House tickets in advance. We arrived at 9am and the queue for tickets was around the block and down the street. Literally. :eek: We walked right in.

Can also recommend the fun Old Mill, a restaurant inside a windmill. Thoroughly enjoyable!

We actually purchase a yearly travel insurance plan. And then top it up if necessary if we plan a high dollar vacation. I can travel any number of times/year - for up to 16 days on each trip. This means I don't have to stop on my way across the border when I go to visit my friend in Kentucky!!!

In Amsterdam - I agree about the tickets for the Anne Frank house. We also did a canal cruise, a walking WWII history tour that was very interesting, and did manage to see the Dutch Resistance Museum. We wandered around the red light district on our own one afternoon - and dodged all of the people (and the smoke) from the coffee houses...

Just in case someone isn't aware - it isn't coffee that people go to coffee houses for...There was a huge haze surrounding the outdoor patios connected to the coffee houses - so can't even imagine what the inside was like!!

Fran

We actually purchase a yearly travel insurance plan. And then top it up if necessary if we plan a high dollar vacation. I can travel any number of times/year - for up to 16 days on each trip. This means I don't have to stop on my way across the border when I go to visit my friend in Kentucky!!!

In Amsterdam - I agree about the tickets for the Anne Frank house. We also did a canal cruise, a walking WWII history tour that was very interesting, and did manage to see the Dutch Resistance Museum. We wandered around the red light district on our own one afternoon - and dodged all of the people (and the smoke) from the coffee houses...

Just in case someone isn't aware - it isn't coffee that people go to coffee houses for...There was a huge haze surrounding the outdoor patios connected to the coffee houses - so can't even imagine what the inside was like!!

Fran

Hi may I as the name of the insurance co. ? That would be great for us because we travel so much .

I also get an annual insurance policy so I can travel anytime. It is good for up to 35 days for each trip.

The last couple of years I have gone to NZ for two months so I just call the insurance company and they add the extra days on to the policy.

Hi may I as the name of the insurance co. ? That would be great for us because we travel so much .

Our policy is through RBC Insurance... This is a Canadian company, so not sure if you could purchase. But, if you have a TA, her/she should be able to assist.

Fran

I agree with the value of Trip Insurance. We had to cancel a cruise due to illness and were very pleased we had insurance.

Has anyone looked into annual umberella trip insurance versus trip by trip insurance ?

It covers medical and evacuation only and not trip cancellation but we carry a yearly policy with very high limits that covers us for those 2 possible losses. It even covers us when we are in the US and more than (I think) 100 miles away from home,

It only costs about $400 for the 2 of us.

I chose to self insure for trip cancellation.

DON

I don't quite understand this travel insurance thread. Maybe it is different in other countries. We always purchase travel insurance. It covers cancellation costs ( within reasonable guidelines), interuption of travel, all medical costs including needing to be transported home as well as a host of other things like travel delay, car rental excess, luggage lost or delayed, stolen belongings and missed connections.

For our up coming trip our gold card covers the insurance. I checked this policy carefully with the insurance we usually take and the only real difference is the gold card has a slightly higher excess. $100 I think. Even if we bought our usual insurance it was less than $450 for both of us for 5 weeks away. If we couldn't afford the insurance we wouldn't travel overseas. Have heard of too many awful non insurance situations from friends. I was in Las Vegas a couple of years ago and had to visit the drs twice and go on a drip. I had managed to get dehydrated of all things. Cost about $1200 plus a $200 pre booked helicopter tour I couldn't go on. I received it all back less about $200 excess.

Maybe I have missed something and you are talking about extra travel insurance on top of this?

Hmmmm...couldn't find a US annual plan on the three insurers I clicked on following that link. I called TravelEx (the company I normally use, and one that is a link on that site) and they say they don't carry a US annual plan. :confused:

Is that link just an article explaining how annual plans work? It doesn't seem to link to a US site that carries annual plans (unless I just missed it!).

We have been paying 6.5% for Insurance 57 & 58 .

That means that you are betting that there is a 1 chance in about 15 that you will have to cancel your cruise. How many have you actually cancelled?

Just asking as we self insure on cancellation.

DON

As far as I know there are no travel insurance companies in the US that offer a yearly policy. If anyone knows of one I'd be interested in knowing who you use.

I found this website.

www.travelguard.com/

Travel Guard is travel insurance and assistance that travels with you. ... This annual plan is ideal for individuals who take frequent international trips. ... Provides coverage for trip cancellation, travel delays, lost luggage, medical emergencies ...

That means that you are betting that there is a 1 chance in about 15 that you will have to cancel your cruise. How many have you actually cancelled?

Just asking as we self insure on cancellation.

DON

So far we have cancelled 4 times Yes we cruise a lot .Broken Ankle, 2 deaths. work problem..

So far we have cancelled 4 times Yes we cruise a lot .Broken Ankle' date=' 2 deaths. work problem..[/quote']

Based on the total number of cruises you have done, I guess that you have come out ahead.

DON

I found this website.

www.travelguard.com/

Travel Guard is travel insurance and assistance that travels with you. ... This annual plan is ideal for individuals who take frequent international trips. ... Provides coverage for trip cancellation, travel delays, lost luggage, medical emergencies ...

I called them up,Using my TA insurance Co. We pay 6.5% per trip [cruise & air ] and that is still the best way to go .

Hmmmm...couldn't find a US annual plan on the three insurers I clicked on following that link. I called TravelEx (the company I normally use, and one that is a link on that site) and they say they don't carry a US annual plan. :confused:

Is that link just an article explaining how annual plans work? It doesn't seem to link to a US site that carries annual plans (unless I just missed it!).

http://www.travelguard.com/travelinsurance/annual.asp?intcmp=clc-001-Nav-2-Annual

http://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/AA/SelectAPlan.aspx?001000252&Product=001000143

http://www.travelexinsurance.com/travel-insurance/travel-insurance-plans/business-traveler/

As far as Travelex is concerned their annual business traveler plan has medical, emergency evac, trip delay, trip interruption, and missed connection coverages with the option of adding trip cancellation coverage on a trip-by-trip basis. It can be purchased on a multi-trip annual basis

The problem I think I have with them is there is either a $2000 or $5000 max amount you can claim pr contract 12 months Meaning by the time you do air and cruise you are over $5000 and you could not put another claim that contract. So is 6.5% better ?

Travel Guard lets you add additional cancellation coverage on a trip by trip basis to supplement the annual plan. I believe Access America (Allianz now) does the same.

We are from Canada and we have year round travel insurance for Medical. It is part of my benefit pacckage at work. We used to purchase it as a family from Blue Cross for about $100/year. We have used the medical portion at least 6 times in both the U.S. and in Mexico. I wouldn't consider travelling without it. As for cancellation insurance, we did buy it the last couple of times we have travelled and booked ahead, never for a last minute type of thing. Used it once to get my daughter out of Bangkok when the riots were going on a couple of years ago.

Everybodies circumstances are different. My parents are older and it is very possible that I may have to cancel a trip or come home on short notice. The piece of mind is worth the $300 I paid. We have our cancellation insurance thru RBC. We also have our home and vehicles insured thru RBC. They have been fantastic to deal with.

Archived