Oceanview steak?

39august

One of my friends has cruised on Eclipse and Infinity and told me that in the Oceanview Cafe at dinner, you can have a steak cooked to order. But when I posted a question about food there for dinner, no one mentioned this. Is she correct or not, please?

They used to have it on the M class ships. It was a nice alternative to buffet food. They set up tablecloths etc. in an area of the buffet. You went in line, picked up salads etc and ordered a dinner. The waiters would bring you your main meal. The steaks were pretty good. I was under the impression that they stopped this. At least it was not offered on my last Equinox and Eclipse cruise.

That was the "casual alternative dining" and it has been discontinued. But, at least on Constellation, there is a small grill area all the way aft (where the waffles are in the morning) where you can get a steak or a piece of chicken or a piece of salmon cooked in the evening. Not the best quality steak, from my observation, but it can be an alternative if you don't want to eat in the MDR or one of the specialty restaurants. Don't know about the grill offerings on S-class ships as I never went there of an evening.

After the casual dining option was discontinued, I have also seen the "grilled to order" evening options on the Infinity in the far aft (where sandwiches are made to order at lunch). In May, 2011 we had dinner there following a very tiring shore excursion. My recollection was that there was a pork roast in addition to grilled to order steak, chicken breasts, pork chops and a fish offering. In addition, there were steamed and grilled vegetables. There were also pizza, stir fry and pasta stations.

We were on the Infinity last month, but were in Blu and, quite frankly, never wandered through the Oceanview area during dinner.

Dining in Oceanview on Infinity last March was below ordinary but so was breakfast and lunch. The lettuce and fresh fruit was OK and the sushi in the evenings also. Most offerings had the taste and texture of a food court in a budget shopping mall.

Cooked to order was to the order of the accountants.

Archived