US $$ in Australia/New Zealand

Up until now in NZ , all ATM's have been run by banks and fees are charged according to each banks policy. However , lately "Private" ATM's have been starting to pop up all over the place and while I have not used them , I have heard that their fees are fairly steep.

If you are travelling from the US and want to change to AUS and/or NZ $ check with your bank for the ATMs where you will not be charged an additional fee above the exchange rate. We bank with BofA and they have agreements with banks in AUS regarding this and gave us a list of locations in the airports and different cities. The fees can add up and this is a real savings for us. ~~Judy

We use BofA, too, and always check their website to find their foreign "partners" so we can avoid the fees. We changed about $600 at the bank before we left so that we would have some local money when we arrived. They don't charge a fee to change currency the way travelex does.

Their partner bank in Australia is Westpark or some name like that. (3 months after the trip, and I can't remember, that's pretty sad). We did get $50 bills at an atm at the bank. Fortunately, the bank was open, and I took the $50s inside and asked to get a mixture of bills.

We use BofA, too, and always check their website to find their foreign "partners" so we can avoid the fees. We changed about $600 at the bank before we left so that we would have some local money when we arrived. They don't charge a fee to change currency the way travelex does.

Their partner bank in Australia is Westpark or some name like that. (3 months after the trip, and I can't remember, that's pretty sad). We did get $50 bills at an atm at the bank. Fortunately, the bank was open, and I took the $50s inside and asked to get a mixture of bills.

The "Bank" ATMs will have a list of partner banks on the ATM. You won't pay a fee for partner banks but you will for non-partners. The commercial ATMs are mostly found in clubs, pubs and convenience strores and will charge a fee regardless of the card you use.

To get smaller notes - enter an odd amount in.

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is looking to avoid bank charges, you can also get cash out with any EFTPOS transaction at all our major supermarkets. Most large supermarkets don't have a minimum spend, so you could buy a packet of chewy and withdraw $200 ;)

We have a small business, with most of our takings in cash, and we very rarely see $100 notes. Very few people withdraw cash from the bank (which is pretty much the only place you can get them) because many are starting to charge for the human interaction :p

Cheers,

Carina

We will have an overnight in Auckland before our cruise. My plan is to use the HOHO bus and get a meal or two. Will I be able to use my credit card or will I have to get New Zealand money?

Carolyn

The meals should be no problem unless you choose fast food outlets - most restaurants and cafes will take credit card - usually displayed in window or at cashiers desk - just ask. The Explorer bus is cash only on the bus - credit card OK if you prebook on line and probably if you buy from one of the Information Sites - Just as easy IMO to use your card in a Cash Teller and get enough NZ to cover the Explorer Bus.

We have a small business, with most of our takings in cash, and we very rarely see $100 notes. Very few people withdraw cash from the bank (which is pretty much the only place you can get them) because many are starting to charge for the human interaction :p

The issue isn't dealing with banks, but note availability. $100s are hoarded and they are not circulated much (not that they're not available, but they're just harder to get). I regularly use the bank and prefer 100s when dealing with high transactions, but often $50s is all I can get easily.

We went to Australia and New Zealand in 2009 and I asked the same question. If you have never been there how are you supposed to know.

I asked if they celebrated Thanksgiving all over the world including Australia and New Zealand because we were traveling during that time and got some sarcastic answers back.

No they do not celebrate Thanksgiving because that is an American holiday but we did get Turkey and dressing on board the Sun Princess on Thankskgiving Day. I thought that was pretty cool.

Just exchange New Zealand money and Austrlian money before you leave because most places will not accept the US dollar. Or use your ATM card to exchange or your credit card and just charge.

We used our Capital One card and there was no exchange fee at all.

It was one of the best vacations we ever had sailing from Sydney to New Zealand and back so enjoy.

Happy sailing. :)

The issue isn't dealing with banks, but note availability. $100s are hoarded and they are not circulated much (not that they're not available, but they're just harder to get). I regularly use the bank and prefer 100s when dealing with high transactions, but often $50s is all I can get easily.

Ah, that's why I've never seen a $100 note! You're hoarding them all! ;)

Archived