Tons of ice skating questions

We are just back from Independence and there were advanced skating times where you needed your own skates. My daughter skated then and there were 4 people on the ice but even at that number it was difficult to do anything. She did manage a couple of doubles within the time (30 mins). Helmets were compulsory.

• 3 months later...

Hi. We are a very experienced ice skating family. This information below is addressed only to experienced ice skaters, USFSA and ISI. (If you know what those abbreviations mean and/or you plan on being in Anaheim in July - if you know what I mean - then you can keep on reading. :))

1. Bring your own skates. The rental ones are fine for rentals, but you will be disappointed if you leave yours at home. Check in only, can't carry on plane.

2. Regardless of your skating ability, on Allure last year we were required to wear helmets.

3. There was a short period of time where people who brought their own skates were allowed to skate. I believe it was only about 30 mins on one or two days.

4. I do not remember the rink being open every day.

5. The rink is about 1/2 to 1/4 the size of regulation. No, I am not kidding. When you add a few people it gets crowded.

6. Mondor or yoga pants are fine with tights or socks. Didn't see anyone in skating dresses.

7. And I am sure you know this if you travel compete: Zucas and overhead airplane compartments don't mix well, so if you are bringing yours don't plan on checking it in.

You are going to have an amazing time. Remember that you are skating in the middle of the ocean!!!

Archived