Tons of ice skating questions

Umm .... wearing a "community helmet" is kind of like kids sharing hats at school :eek:. That sort of freaks me out a bit. That may keep me & my kid off the ice. I imagine the same is true for rock climbing wall too ?

I'm sure that they sanitize the helmets after every use, just as bowling alleys sanitize bowling shoes after each rental. I don't think your analogy is accurate or we would have read many complaints about this aspect of the helmet rentals by this time. If you still have concerns, perhaps a close inspection of the helmet before donning them might resolve your worries.

She may not get in 2.5 hours a day, but any time is likely to be better than none, especially over 9 days and if there are special sessions for advanced skaters, she can probably make the most of whatever time is allowed. Vacation time, or not, the OP has legitimate questions and concerns which most posters have answered instead of just dismissing them as unworthy of consideration because they are on vacation. I believe that the only incorrect answer was the one regarding helmets. As far as I know they ARE required and with so many unskilled skaters on the ice at one time, it is probably a very wise requirement. I hope that even minimal practice time will help the young lady in her subsequent test to move on to her next level.:)

Thank you very much. You understand exactly what we are asking. We know this will not compair to the time she spends on the ice at home with her private coach and so on. But any time that she spends skating just her basic moves / footwork is good. We know it will be no where near 2.5 hours. Even 30 min. would be great. Skating is a huge financial / time investment (private coaches, ice time, entry fee's) and this is an important test for her. Passing her pre-juv test is very important. We will be bringing her skates.

I totally understand no jumps and so on but basic stroking and moves will be fine even on poor ice with lots of people. She understands this is just a bacis public skate on a small rink.

Thanks everyone for your help - it was very helpful.

In line with the thought that a picture is worth a 1,000 words......

2925079380096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2344083590096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2709121720096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2643622780096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

These are from the Explorer, a mostly duplicate of the Navigator (2010 trip)

and a shot from the side in 2009, gives an idea of the width.

2970227670096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Thank you for the cool pictures. OUr entire family will really enjoy the ice shows. I know my daughter will think it is fun to see the shows.

Does anyone know how many different shows they offer on a 7 night cruise?

For some reason I thought, in error, that you were going on the Navigator. In any case, the rink on the Freedom is roughly the same size as the one in my pictures.

One show a week, repeated several times during the week.

Only the ships that routinely do 9 and 10 day cruises have more then one show per trip.

As an experienced skater I would agree the skates are not good. The ice surface will be the same as they kept it the same on all the ships, even Oasis and Allure, so the people in the show can train on one surface. It is a lot smaller than a normal rink. Helmets are mandatory and I would suggest common sense. The ice is full of skaters who are on there for the first time. The program is run by the skaters in the ice show so your daughter can meet the skaters when she goes.

On our last cruise, March 2012, on Explorer, they had to evacuate the ice. One very inexperienced young skater was falling all over the place, trying to get up speed when he should not and could not. He fell into another skater, knocking him over. They had to call in an emergency to the medical centre, send everyone off the ice and close the facility. Very scary and a perfect example why helmets are mandatory.

There are some advanced sessions, usually an hour or so in an around the other times, where thoses with their own skates can go out.

As an experienced skater I would agree the skates are not good. The ice surface will be the same as they kept it the same on all the ships, even Oasis and Allure, so the people in the show can train on one surface. It is a lot smaller than a normal rink. Helmets are mandatory and I would suggest common sense. The ice is full of skaters who are on there for the first time. The program is run by the skaters in the ice show so your daughter can meet the skaters when she goes.

On our last cruise, March 2012, on Explorer, they had to evacuate the ice. One very inexperienced young skater was falling all over the place, trying to get up speed when he should not and could not. He fell into another skater, knocking him over. They had to call in an emergency to the medical centre, send everyone off the ice and close the facility. Very scary and a perfect example why helmets are mandatory.

There are some advanced sessions, usually an hour or so in an around the other times, where thoses with their own skates can go out.

I totally understand why they require helmets. I am so glad to hear they have advanced sessions. That is perfect. It will be less crowded and she can get in a few simple moves. Keep her happy, keep her coach happy that she stepped on ice during vacation. All is good - Thanks

We just got off FOS and one of our friends spent a lot of time at the ice rink. During the "main" sessions, you are not permitted to jump or spin at all. There are advanced sessions to which you can be "invited" and are allowed to spin or jump. The pre-requisite is having your own skates, but exceptions are made for decent skaters (as observed at the mass session) who didn't bring their own skates.

The two "advanced" sessions (45 mins each) were not crowded (3-5 people) but I was told that, given the size of the rink, it was not easy to do much "real" skating even in these sessions. A couple of the professional skaters (performers) showed up at the advanced session but it was more of a meet & greet than a chance to skate together.

The general sense was that it was a nice chance to do some skating but not the place or time to do "serious" skating.

I don't believe there was any charge for skating. Not sure about renting skates since my friend brought hers.

. . . Does anyone know about the "advanced time". I read about on another thread. It said they had it and it was only open if you brought your own skates.

We've been on the Mariner, Voyager and Navigator. Those ships all had "advance time," which was the first morning session. A person had to have his or her own skates for the advance time.

. . . Are they hockey skates (rounded blade) or figure skates (toe pick)?

Both types of skates are available.

How much does it cost to use the rink and to rent the skates?

There's no fee.

Woody

We've been on the Mariner, Voyager and Navigator. Those ships all had "advance time," which was the first morning session. A person had to have his or her own skates for the advance time.

Both types of skates are available.

There's no fee.

Woody

I am sure I know the answer to this but I told my daughter I would ask. Do you have to wear a helmet during the advanced sessions? If so does she need to bring her own (like the skates).

I am sure I know the answer to this but I told my daughter I would ask. Do you have to wear a helmet during the advanced sessions? If so does she need to bring her own (like the skates).

I believe that the helmet requirement is the same for advanced sessions. Only if proper fit is a significant concern, and her own helmet is custom-fitted, is it likely that she would need to bring her own.:)

I believe that the helmet requirement is the same for advanced sessions. Only if proper fit is a significant concern, and her own helmet is custom-fitted, is it likely that she would need to bring her own.:)

Thanks. I think we will just use their helmet. She has not worn a hel,et to skate for years. Once they get to a certain level they can not wear them - it throws their balance off. She will be fine with whatever they tell her to wear. She is going to get to skate while on a cruise whip on vacation - what could be better:)

• 1 month later...

Just got back off DCL Fantasy last week so I still have the cruise bug. Started looking for our next vacation and skating is a priority. Glad to see so many of my initial questions answered.

To OP, would love to hear how things work out. Thinking pre-Juv moves should not be an issue (still have sheet test?) or most dances. We should be working on Juv FS by then which will be tough.

Good luck!

I suggest that serious skaters/their parents try to get in touch with their ship's ice captain (who is probably one of the pro skaters performing in the shows) beforehand or else try to meet them ASAP once onboard.

Here is an interview with one of them: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/behindTheSmiles/profile.do?INTERVIEWID=7

Greetings from a first time poster!

1. Can you bring your own skates? Yes. I brought mine, and glad I did.

2. I heard you have to wear a helmet? Is this true? Yes, no matter what your skating level.

3. How often is the rink open? Always check the Cruise Compass that'll be left in your room by your Stateroom Attendant at night. It's usually opened at Sea, and sometimes after leaving a port. We were on Allure in May. One day at sea because not many showed up, they changed it to continuous sessions for about 3 hrs.

4. I thought I read that there are "advanced" times when people with their own skates can use the ice? While on FOS last year, there was an Advanced session if I remember correctly, for about 1 hr., in the morning. I was the only (adult) skater. Didn't exist when we were on Allure. Again, please check your Cruise Compass the night before.

5. Silly question - how is the ice. Is it like normal ice arena ice?

Depending on the crowd size, it can get pretty chewed up in minutes. Rink's much smaller than what your daughter's used to. Suggestion-be the first one on line. That way she could at least get a few spins in before it gets crowded.

6. How crowded is the ice? DO you need to sign up ahead of time or jsust show up?

Depends. While at sea it can get pretty crowded; while at port it's not usually opened; however still check your Cruise Compass. No sign-up.

IMO the rink wasn't that cold. I skated in a t-shirt, didn't need thermals underneath. Felt weird wearing a helmet, but of course understood policy; however I did a few spins. No objection from Skate personnel (as long as they see you're aware of other skaters. I'm a clockwise spinner and was always cautious before spinning).

Have fun!

Freedom-April, 2011

AllureB2B-May 6 - May 20, 2012

Hi there I was on Indy a fortnight ago and on this 14 day cruise there was only 2 advanced sessions!!

At these sessions there were only 3/4 skaters with there own skates. My daughters practised there jumps and spins.

On previous cruises my daughter have now enjoed the open sessions full of children and adults of all ages most of whom have never put on skates on there life before!!!

I have seen loads of people being injured as a result including me and I can skate. On one such occasion I broke my finger when an inexperienced skater went out of control and crashed into me.

On this recent cruise a 70 year old man ended up with severely bruised ribs as the result of a bad fall.

I am seriously amazed with the amount of folks who think skating is easy and a gentle past-time to be tried whilst on the holiday of a lifetime. Only to end up ruining their holiday and on occasion others too!!

PS - as others who skate say the ships skates are not for Figure Skaters.

Umm .... wearing a "community helmet" is kind of like kids sharing hats at school :eek:. That sort of freaks me out a bit. That may keep me & my kid off the ice. I imagine the same is true for rock climbing wall too ?

Yes, there is the ick factor for sure! Last year, I brought my girls' ski helmets for them to wear on the ice for just that reason. Next time, I think I'll just bring shower caps for them to wear under the rink's helmets to save on space.

Yes, you do have to wear a helmet for the advanced session (or else they won't let you on the ice.) No, you don't have to bring your own. You can wear the ship's helmets and your own skates for the advanced session.

HI,

Background: I have a daughter that skates 2.5 hours a day 5 days a week. She is scheduled to test for her next level 2 weeks after our cruise. The thought of not practicing for 9 days before she does a major level test is killing her. This is where hopefully this ship will be great.

I totally understand. My 9 year old skates at least 3-4 times a week for an hour and the thought of not skating for 9 days straight was unsettling.

Questions:

1. Can you bring your own skates? YES! And she should. The ship's skates are worse than typical rentals IMHO

2. I heard you have to wear a helmet? Is this true? Yes. No matter how good you are. My 9 year old felt ridiculous in a helmet but those are the rules...

3. How often is the rink open? On our past 3 cruises which were all 9 days each, there were only 2 advanced sessions the entire time. :( It was nowhere near enough for our liking. There was one additional advanced/suite guest session but since they allowed suite guests on in rental skates who couldn't even stand up, I don't count this as an advanced session. My advice, do NOT have your daughter attempt to get on the ice during regular public sessions. It's dangerous and she's much more likely to get hurt from someone else than getting any productive ice time in. Stick to advanced sessions only.

4. I thought I read that there are "advanced" times when people with their own skates can use the ice? I feel the need to clarify RCL's terminology "advanced skate." What they mean is "anyone who brought skates from home." On our last cruise, my 9 year old was by far the best skater on the ice during the advanced session (there were probably 6 or 7 people out there.) And she's only passed the pre-preliminary moves test! It was such amateur hour that I ended up letting my 5 year old out on the advanced skate too and she was better than 1/2 the "advanced" people out there. Even on the advanced sessions (where jumps, spins, footwork are allowed) don't expect to get too much done. People were oohing and aaaahing at my daughter and trust me, she's not that good. I can say that here because she's not allowed on CC ;)

5. Silly question - how is the ice. Is it like normal ice arena ice? No. The ice is different. I can't quite explain it. But it's different. And the zamboni is the size of a ride-on lawnmower. The ice never gets truly smooth. I'd equate it to pond skating. Perhaps we're just spoiled by our home rink. I'm amazed and in awe of the performers. I have no idea how they are able to do tricks on such horrible ice! As others have noted, its a very small surface as well. The length of the ship's rink is smaller than the width of a standard rink.

6. How crowded is the ice? DO you need to sign up ahead of time or jsust show up? Our experience with the advanced skates is that you just show up. No preregistration. On our 3 cruises, we've seen anywhere from 2 to 10 skaters during the advanced session. And remember the ice is small.If one or two of those "advanced skaters" are hockey kids tearing up the ice, it's hard to do too much of anything .

Thanks everyone :)

I'm sorry to be such a buzz kill, but I'm thinking it's better if you go in with a realistic expectation. I totally understand that something is better than nothing. Even doing edges and figures will be good for your daughter.

Good luck to your daughter!!!!

Dont forget that one sea days, the ice rink is MOVING...something that likely will not help her and likely frustrate her. You might get better luck during port days.

Heck I would talk to the staff, or even the skaters, and ask if she can practice alone or even with the skate crew...worth a shot.

Don't see why not. On Oasis in March, we saw a little (maybe 6) play his tiny violin with the string quartet in Central Park!

Hope your daughter gets to skate and enjoys herself! Best of luck on the exam!

Helmets ARE required- on Freedom in June they actually called a skater back in to get a helmet over the loudspeaker

(Embarrassing!). I think on Freedom the rink was only open on sea days, and was very crowded. There were designated times for skating if you brought your own skates. Have fun!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Heck I would talk to the staff, or even the skaters, and ask if she can practice alone or even with the skate crew...worth a shot.

On the Oasis we won an auction that included a skating lesson. I don't know if this was just for the auction or if it is something that can't be arranged otherwise. I certainly think it's worth asking though.

I do know that the Flow Rider is rented out after hours. I have to wonder if they would do the same for the ice rink.

Archived