Recent Timing at Vancouver US Custom

bottom-dragger

Saturday I had one chance to catch an 0800 out of Vancouver to connect with a northbound to Juneau to catch a southbound to Petersburg. The previous day I had flown into Vancouver from Dawson City via Whitehorse and I was ready to end this traveling thing. I'm going to the airport early.

I got dropped off at 0530, checkin and US customs were a walkthrough, I spent most of the time pushing the baggage cart (free carts, woo-hoo). The counterperson at Alaska commented on how early I was. Most travelers were recreational but I didn't see any cruise coaches offloading groups of people. All flights were full. Just a data point.

And yes shoppers, all the stores on the concourse are open that early.

I flew home on a Monday afternoon recently and it was a breeze. Unbelievable and kudos to Vancouver's airport. Plus - all the employees were extremely friendly!

I remember years ago when you had to haul your luggage through customs but the newer method (which they have probably used for years now) makes it so much easier!

Two comments, one being US customs at YVR does not open until 0500 so B-D was there shortly after they opened the doors. Secondly, while it was just a data point there is no way with a 0700 ship arrival in Vancouver can the cruise lines have a their transfers arriving at YVR much before 0830 so he was home-free so to speak. OK, there points....there are more than 2 dozen US customs stations at YVR...I have never seen more than half of them open.

We're flying home (well to Chicago) from Vancouver with two kids on a 6:30am flight. What time should we arrive at the airport then? Is 5am early enough?

5 am or just before should do it just fine. To save a few minutes you could ask the passenger services desk on your ship for the a US customs form and have it completed before you arrive at the airport....if not they have the forms at a kiosks at the airport but it does take a few minutes to complete one.

5 am or just before should do it just fine. To save a few minutes you could ask the passenger services desk on your ship for the a US customs form and have it completed before you arrive at the airport....if not they have the forms at a kiosks at the airport but it does take a few minutes to complete one.

Great tip... thanks! We'll pick up the first shuttle from our hotel (Holiday Inn near the airport) and I think it's at 4:30am.

Great tip... thanks! We'll pick up the first shuttle from our hotel (Holiday Inn near the airport) and I think it's at 4:30am.

That Holiday Inn (near YVR) is a good choice for an early departure. They will see you out the door in good order. http://www.holidayinnvancouverairport.com/hotelinformation.aspx If you booked the cruise special, you get some extra goodies.

Archived