British Isles Trip Review w/Pics: A Thesis :)

DeloreanGirl

Hurray! Another "Binder Buddy"! :p

Seems like a lot of people have Celtic roots which is why I think this itinerary is so fantastic. :rolleyes:

Yes, but the cruise doesn't stop in Wales, where my paternal ancestors came from.

Hurray! Another "Binder Buddy"! :p

Seems like a lot of people have Celtic roots which is why I think this itinerary is so fantastic. :rolleyes:

This is indeed one of the best reviews and pictures I have ever seen. Princess will and should be very proud of you young lady.

Although not travelling with Princess next year to the British Isles but Carnival. It gave me super ideas and will use these ideas.

Originally from England and now a resident in Canada for 43years my husband wondered why we were going to the British Isles to which I replied when at our age are we going to see all those places at one time. He is fine now and I quoted and showed him a lot of your article.

We will however be travelling on Princess next February on a 38day cruise and nine day land tour with CC members to Australia,NZ and Asia. Could you possible do this itinerary before we go and write another great report.

Thank you once again.

Val.

This is indeed one of the best reviews and pictures I have ever seen. Princess will and should be very proud of you young lady.

Although not travelling with Princess next year to the British Isles but Carnival. It gave me super ideas and will use these ideas.

Originally from England and now a resident in Canada for 43years my husband wondered why we were going to the British Isles to which I replied when at our age are we going to see all those places at one time. He is fine now and I quoted and showed him a lot of your article.

We will however be travelling on Princess next February on a 38day cruise and nine day land tour with CC members to Australia,NZ and Asia. Could you possible do this itinerary before we go and write another great report.

Thank you once again.

Val.

Hi Val,

Wow, 38 days! If I could muster through 12, whats 26 more? :D Australia and New Zealand look AMAZING but I might hang out in the pool during Asia. But, you never know.... ;)

And yes, please tell your hubby that you get quite a good smattering of the British Isles via cruise ship! Another member is going on Carnival and I had no idea Carnival hit the UK which is good to know.

Edited by DeloreanGirl

Yes, but the cruise doesn't stop in Wales, where my paternal ancestors came from.

We were on the same cruise as DeloreanGirl. Ship stopped in Liverpool, which is just a few minutes drive away from Northern Wales. We did a tour of Northern Wales, with BusyBus. Had great weather and loved the scenery!

Hi Val,

Wow, 38 days! If I could muster through 12, whats 26 more? :D Australia and New Zealand look AMAZING but I might hang out in the pool during Asia. But, you never know.... ;)

And yes, please tell your hubby that you get quite a good smattering of the British Isles via cruise ship! Another member is going on Carnival and I had no idea Carnival hit the UK which is good to know.

Yes, Emily. Carnival is cruising from Dover, England next year with a British Isles cruise in there. The Baltic cruise also has a good live report from a Princess cruiser which has taken my interest.

Thanks once again for contributing.

Val.

Yes, Emily. Carnival is cruising from Dover, England next year with a British Isles cruise in there. The Baltic cruise also has a good live report from a Princess cruiser which has taken my interest.

Thanks once again for contributing.

Val.

FYI: Celebrity also has a British Isles cruise, but not the same ports as Princess or Carnival.

Emily,

Thanks so much for your day to day postings you did on the June 7th thread while you were on the trip as well as these review installments!!! We're on the July 8th trip and it has given us both alot of information as well as get us more excited than ever. Again, thanks so much. Hope we'll be on a future cruise with you.......:)

I couldn't agree more, I've found it immensely helpful and am on the same cruise as Andy July 8th. We're from Foster City, CA Hope to see you both on another Princess cruise Cheers, Joyce

Edited by Joyfulness

I have wanted to take this cruise for a long, long time. This is absolutely the best review I have ever read. Thank you so much for taking the time to create and post this.

Anita

I couldn't agree more, I've found it immensely helpful and am on the same cruise as Andy July 8th. We're from Foster City, CA Hope to see you both on another Princess cruise Cheers, Joyce

Anita,

Thank you for your kind words! Hopefully the review will encourage you even more to hop on this itinerary. You really see some amazing places. I keep forgetting about the ship parts because the trip was so port-heavy.

Joyfulness,

Thank you for the kind words! Glad that the report could get you excited about your upcoming cruise! Wish I could go again soon!

Anita,

Thank you for your kind words! Hopefully the review will encourage you even more to hop on this itinerary. You really see some amazing places. I keep forgetting about the ship parts because the trip was so port-heavy.

Joyfulness,

Thank you for the kind words! Glad that the report could get you excited about your upcoming cruise! Wish I could go again soon!

Hi Emily

I want to thank you for an excellent review of your cruise of the British Isles. It was so informative and very well written and I loved your sense of humour.I am originally from a town called Bangor which is 12 miles from Belfast. I went to college there and worked there as well. Your review of the Titanic Exhibition was excellent and I look forward to going there next time we are in N. Ireland. Why dont you take a cruise to Bermuda and we can give you a guided tour. I feel like I know you now after reading a chapter a day of your wonderful review.

Best wishes to you both,

An Irish Bermudian.

Hi Emily

I want to thank you for an excellent review of your cruise of the British Isles. It was so informative and very well written and I loved your sense of humour.I am originally from a town called Bangor which is 12 miles from Belfast. I went to college there and worked there as well. Your review of the Titanic Exhibition was excellent and I look forward to going there next time we are in N. Ireland. Why dont you take a cruise to Bermuda and we can give you a guided tour. I feel like I know you now after reading a chapter a day of your wonderful review.

Best wishes to you both,

An Irish Bermudian.

Wow, Irish in Bermuda -- that's a combo I never thought I'd see!

I do remember seeing Bangor on the map. I chuckled because my in-laws live near Bangor, Maine and I swore I'd never see another city named that.

The museum is great! It doesn't take as long to go through it as I thought. No more than 2 hours, I'd say. It was quite interesting to hear their take on it. We're still watching lots of Titanic DVD's that have surfaced at the 100-year anniversary. Right now it's about a town in Ireland that lost a family of 14. Interesting stuff.

http://tv.ibtimes.com/queen-visits-the-titanic-exhibit-in-belfast-ireland/6396.html

The Queen on the Titanic's museum "Shipyard Ride" on June 27th. I can assure you that:

a.) It's much more exciting than she makes it look

b.) Having the lights on and cameras flashing kinda ruins the experience

Nonetheless, a neat video. :)

I didn't book the airfare through Princess. I used Kayak to get the best price I could (and ughhhh the prices are steep). I wanted flexibility of leaving out of Ontario, CA instead of crazy LAX as well. So to answer your question, yes, you can still book the transfers even if you don't use their EZ Air. Just fill in your flight number on the Princess Cruise Personalizer page online and they will know when you've landed and that you're going on the bus.

I take it you don't live in Santa Clarita anymore? Ontario seems out of the way.

I take it you don't live in Santa Clarita anymore? Ontario seems out of the way.

we live much closer to ontario but can never find non stop flights to places we go- so, even tho it's abt 220 RT for van, we get super shuttle to and fro lax to boston or ft laud or miami - and, even for next year, we can fly nonstop to london from lax on air new zealand

it's worth it to us to go non stop - only 1 up and 1 down plus no fear of our luggage going to the wrong plane :eek:

We still live in Santa Clarita, but we try to avoid LAX (and the 405) whenever possible. My parents live near Ontario and they drop us off and watch our dog. So before vacations, we simply spend the night out there and they take the dog and drop us off. Saves on dog-sitting and airport parking $$$. :) Plus Ontario is small and AWESOME!

I didn't see taxis, but the port city provides bus rides to Edinburgh for 10 GBPs round trip, that's what we did. And, it's there right on the port.

Nostalgiaguru,

I hope you're still monitoring this thread. Can you provide more info on the bus to Edinburgh? Where did it drop you off, and how often did it run? I wouldn't mind the stairs, but my husband wouldn't be able to make it. We embark one year from tomorrow!! Thanks.

Lynn

Nostalgiaguru,

I hope you're still monitoring this thread. Can you provide more info on the bus to Edinburgh? Where did it drop you off, and how often did it run? I wouldn't mind the stairs, but my husband wouldn't be able to make it. We embark one year from tomorrow!! Thanks.

Lynn

A number of us arranged Vision Tours coach (May 26 cruise arranged by In Retirement) for 10GBP per person round trip - picked us up at South Queensferry pier just after 8 am and dropped us off as close to Edinburgh Castle that buses are allowed. We were picked up around 4:30 at the bottom of the Royal Mile adjacent to Holyrood Palace -- the August 2012 group followed my advice and have arranged a similar group --- it was convenient and relaxing --- Bruce Nelson (Neilson) runs a tour company out of the area and it was via him that we saw Inverness and area as well as doing the Edinburgh coach. The problem with shuttles that don't have a set group and time is that may be everyone gets to the shuttle for the return at the same time.

We still live in Santa Clarita, but we try to avoid LAX (and the 405) whenever possible. My parents live near Ontario and they drop us off and watch our dog. So before vacations, we simply spend the night out there and they take the dog and drop us off. Saves on dog-sitting and airport parking $$$. :) Plus Ontario is small and AWESOME!

that is so nice your parents live near ontario and can watch the dog too !! ;)

You are a wonderful writer. You must travel more..I want to read more of your reviews...I really love what you said about cruise critics...it is am amazing web site and we have made more than a few good friends on it!

Hope we meet up with you someday!

I love Great Britian too..note my name..Harrodsfan!

Nostalgiaguru,

Lynn

They're right at the port, they run all day, so you're not tied down to a specific schedule - you can come and go as you please.

As a side note, buy your castle tickets online before you leave - very long lines otherwise.

They're right at the port, they run all day, so you're not tied down to a specific schedule - you can come and go as you please.

As a side note, buy your castle tickets online before you leave - very long lines otherwise.

i need to make another list of all the tickets we need to buy on line before cruise !!!:D