British Isles Trip Review w/Pics: A Thesis :)

DeloreanGirl

Thank you! Is that for anyone or just new Shutterfly accounts? I just ordered my free one, which I made from my trip to D.C. last year, but I'm working on my second one from my recent cruise photos. I wonder if they will let me get two free ones? I think I am getting addicted.

Nevermind, I just looked and it is for new customers only. Oh well, I still think Shutterfly is a great deal, and so much fun! I can't wait to get my book that I ordered yesterday!

Technically, yes, it's free for first time users. I suppose if you use another e-mail address they'd never know the difference. ;)

I've come late to reading your review, but thanks for taking the time to do it.

It's always interesting to see your home country through the eyes of others; I loved your enthusiasm for our quaint little ways

(aside: I suspect if I ever came to California I'd be all "Wow! how cute, they're all wearing flip flops!" :p)

Glad you enjoyed it, hope you get to visit us again someday.

I just wanted to thank you for sharing your shutterfly book on here, it gave me the impetus to put mine together and I just received it in the mail today - it's beautiful and I love it!

That's great! It gets addicitive by this point.... ;)

I've come late to reading your review, but thanks for taking the time to do it.

It's always interesting to see your home country through the eyes of others; I loved your enthusiasm for our quaint little ways

(aside: I suspect if I ever came to California I'd be all "Wow! how cute, they're all wearing flip flops!" :p)

Glad you enjoyed it, hope you get to visit us again someday.

Ha! That is funny. We DO all wear flip flops! Okay, at least I do. Want to trade? I'd love to up and move to Ireland or England at a moments notice. One can dream... :o :rolleyes:

I Sad to see that Liverpool is not on the 2013 list, as we thouroughly enjoyed her even though it rained and was windy the whole day we were there.

Cheers!

Hi

Just re-reading Emily's post as we're doing Dublin & Greenock in August so looking for hints and tips. Spotted your comments about missing Liverpool next year, actually Caribbean Princess in coming 3 times, on the 29 June, 23 July and 16 August sailings so hopefully people will be able to enjoy visiting as mush as you and Emily did :)

Maureen

Hi

Just re-reading Emily's post as we're doing Dublin & Greenock in August so looking for hints and tips. Spotted your comments about missing Liverpool next year, actually Caribbean Princess in coming 3 times, on the 29 June, 23 July and 16 August sailings so hopefully people will be able to enjoy visiting as mush as you and Emily did :)

Maureen

We are on the August 16, 2013 Caribbean Princess docking at Liverpool. They have us in port from 4am - 3pm. We won't have much time to enjoy Liverpool as most places don't open until 9am(?) and we will have to be back onboard by 2:30pm.

How far is the Beatle museum and other places to the dock?

What would you suggest to see for shuck a short time?

We are on the August 16, 2013 Caribbean Princess docking at Liverpool. They have us in port from 4am - 3pm. We won't have much time to enjoy Liverpool as most places don't open until 9am(?) and we will have to be back onboard by 2:30pm.

Glad to hear it Maureen! It was a great port!

As for the short stay, we used the HOHO bus right from the dock to get all around once, then picked the places we wanted to get off and see on the 2nd time around. The whole trip was less than an hour around. Worked very well! Enjoy Liverpool, neat city :)

I am so enjoying your British Isles review and will be re-reading it again as our trip gets closer (June 5, 2013). I'm only up to Day 7 right now but wanted to just thank you for sharing your trip with us.

Sharon

Hi

Yes, seen you're arriving at stupid o'clock in the morning, what on earth???.........

Beatles Stoty at Albert Dock is literally 10 mins walk frpm where the ship docks and is open from 9 a.m. If you're upto it you could always walk to Mathew St, again a leisurely 10 mins, you can see some of the sights without them being open, The Cavern, statue of John Lennon, the staue of 4 lads who shook the world, walk down a bit further, turn left into Stanley St and see the statue of Eleanor Rigby.

Still can't believe they get you in that early but someone posted it maybe because of the tides.

vacation-work-family-trip-farewell-ecards-someecards.png

We always need a vacation to recover from our vacation! Our philosophy is that if we're not completely exhausted at the end of a vacation, the trip hasn't been a total success!

Thanks for the most excellent review. We are taking the transatlantic trip on the Caribbean Princess at the end of August, making a few of the stops you did, but especially looking forward to visiting Qaqortoq, Greenland. Who goes there?

You are such a good writer...like the woman who wrote Julie and Julia (can't recall her name at the moment), I hope you can find a way to make money doing something you do so well.

Oh, please! I'm sooo fed up of the rain. :)

And we're so fed up with the boring 360 days of sunshine (truly!) :o

Emily, have enjoyed your travelogue tremendously! Love your sense of humor and your gift with details and feelings.

Hoping you'll have another great adventure soon!

Debbie & Mike

Thanks, glad it could be of some help. :D

I am so enjoying your British Isles review and will be re-reading it again as our trip gets closer (June 5, 2013). I'm only up to Day 7 right now but wanted to just thank you for sharing your trip with us.

Sharon

Ooooo a whole 10 months to wait. Planning really is the most fun part. Despite some wind and rain, I promise you'll have a great time! :cool:

Emily, Thanks so much for your INCREDIBLE review. I found it right after you started it, read as much as was ready at that time, and then promptly got busy with other stuff and didn't get back to it until today. Thankfully, I had all kinds of time today and was able to read it all.

As others have said, you have a knack for writing and "bringing us all along." I never really had an itch to do a British Isles cruise, but I started looking up the Princess website as soon as I finsihed. I know we won't be able to do one for a couple of years yet, as we are taking my parents to Hawaii next year, but when I am ready to plan I will be returning to this post to figure out all the stuff I need to know. Thanks again....it truly was the best review I've read on cruise critic (no offense to others).

Take care and I'll be waiting for your next report....do you have any vacations in the hopper?

Emily' date=' Thanks so much for your INCREDIBLE review. I found it right after you started it, read as much as was ready at that time, and then promptly got busy with other stuff and didn't get back to it until today. Thankfully, I had all kinds of time today and was able to read it all.

As others have said, you have a knack for writing and "bringing us all along." I never really had an itch to do a British Isles cruise, but I started looking up the Princess website as soon as I finsihed. I know we won't be able to do one for a couple of years yet, as we are taking my parents to Hawaii next year, but when I am ready to plan I will be returning to this post to figure out all the stuff I need to know. Thanks again....it truly was the best review I've read on cruise critic (no offense to others).

Take care and I'll be waiting for your next report....do you have any vacations in the hopper?[/quote']

Hi there,

Thank you -- wow! So glad you enjoyed it! That really made my day.

Unfortunately no vacations in the hopper just yet. Trying to start a family so that should take plenty of our time and money - ha. :rolleyes: But if that doesn't work out, then Hawaii or Pacific Coastal is on my list! :D

Just had to add my thoughts also. Emily, this is the absolutely best review I have ever read on CC. I logged on the other day to see what I could find out about the British ports and I found your review. I loved how detailed it was and it was SO amusing to read. I absolutely agree with everyone else that you should be a writer. You definitely have the talent. We have been to England, Scotland and Ireland before, but it was awhile ago and we have been really thinking about doing the British cruise. Hoping to do it in 2013 for sure and it was so much fun reading this review. I almost felt like I was on that cruise with you. We have been to Paris, so I had looked up other places to go and had read about Honfleur and had already decided that that would be a great place to visit, so was happy to see that others liked it. I hope that you are planning another cruise now. It helps so much to have something to look forward to. I also am planning to print this out so I can read it again before our cruise. Thank you so much. --Karen

Just had to add my thoughts also. Emily, this is the absolutely best review I have ever read on CC. I logged on the other day to see what I could find out about the British ports and I found your review. I loved how detailed it was and it was SO amusing to read. I absolutely agree with everyone else that you should be a writer. You definitely have the talent. We have been to England, Scotland and Ireland before, but it was awhile ago and we have been really thinking about doing the British cruise. Hoping to do it in 2013 for sure and it was so much fun reading this review. I almost felt like I was on that cruise with you. We have been to Paris, so I had looked up other places to go and had read about Honfleur and had already decided that that would be a great place to visit, so was happy to see that others liked it. I hope that you are planning another cruise now. It helps so much to have something to look forward to. I also am planning to print this out so I can read it again before our cruise. Thank you so much. --Karen

Hi Karen,

Thanks so much for the kind compliments! I'm glad you liked the review. I never in a million years had writing come to mind as an actual occupation. I suppose the words flew out of my brain and onto the screen as quickly as I was re-living all of the memories of this trip. I typed it up so quickly that there are still spelling errors all over the place!

Yes, please do Honfleur! I really regret not going and would definitely go if I were to be back in that area.

If you want me to e-mail you the text (Word) file of the trip for easier reading without the photos, you can e-mail me below. Otherwise, enjoy -- and thanks again! *blush*

:D

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are considering this cruise for next summer. Can you recall in which ports you tendered. We are trying to travel with my 80 year old mother. While she is able and mobile, I am concerned about tendering.

If you're going on the 12-day itinerary similar to mine, you will only tender into Guernsey and South Queensferry (Edinburgh day). Both journeys are short, but the process of stepping off the ship and onto the tender is a bit much for some. There are many crew members to hold onto you and help you. Your safety is their highest concern.

I saw many folks in their 70's and above get onto the tenders.

Hope this helps!

I gotta say, this was one of the most enjoyable and thorough reviews I've ever read. I'm about to embark on a similar British Isles (except it doesn't stop in Liverpool and whatnot) in about 6 days and now I'm even more excited! Since this is my first "real" cruise, I want to max out every day and afte reading your itinerary, I don't foresee that being an issue!

Beautiful pictures, amazing attention to detail and great hints/tips! I think I'm ready to go!

Dear Emily,

I loved your reviews!! The enthusiasm you showed so overshadows those that post complaints about minor things.

I think your postings are great for any new cruiser to help them enjoy their first cruise!

I do have one question, however, unless you got a deal on American Airlines, I would fly British Airways direct from Los Angeles to London in 10 hours.

They are partners, and I think you can use your AA miles on BA.

If you're going on the 12-day itinerary similar to mine, you will only tender into Guernsey and South Queensferry (Edinburgh day). Both journeys are short, but the process of stepping off the ship and onto the tender is a bit much for some. There are many crew members to hold onto you and help you. Your safety is their highest concern.

I saw many folks in their 70's and above get onto the tenders.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. My mom has been to Edinburgh so if she can't get off that day she'd be okay.