Celebrity Millennium Singapore to Hong Kong - March 3, 2013

CruisersSFO

We are paid in full as well. I simply cannot wait for this trip. I got back from a Disney cruise the other day and it was alright, but this is the trip I have been waiting for. I pretty much have everything in place.

A ship full of kids... I don't know how you did it! :eek: I am looking forward to this trip too because I want to see the sights. It will also be nice to see the difference between the old Millennium and the Solsticizing of her. It doesn't look like all that much has changed on her for public spaces with the exception of the addition of a specialty restaurant up top (Q-sine). Olympia Restaurant was the best dinner I've had in specialty dining with table-side cooking and all that. I ate there both times I was on the ship. The itinerary really has me excited. I'm more excited about Cambodia then any other stop! The temples at Angkor Wat are going to be STUNNING! It's like the pyramids of Southeast Asia!! :)

Geez... I'm getting excited just typing about it.

Hi Everyone - So final payment has passed and the ship is STILL almost sold out! This is a POPULAR cruise, to say the least! We booked our Concierge cabin 15 months ago (while on Celebrity Equinox in the Eastern Mediterranean) and we got the last stateroom available in our class!

I've been doing some research on private shore excursions: In Bankgkok there is a highly-recommended tour company called Absolute Bangkok and I'm planning on arranging two one-day tours with them, as it's almost impossible to see all of the highlights in one day: Wat Po, Royal Palace, Wat Arun, Chao Phraya river, Jim Thompson's house (highly recommended if you want to see a classic example of Thai architecture), Vimanek Mansion, etc. We are using points and getting a room at the Renaissance (only 20,000 points with Marriott Rewards - CHEAP!) for the night in the heart of Bangkok. That way we can sample a good Thai restaurant AND maybe see one of the drag cabaret shows and The Patpong! And it's about a 1.5-2 hour trip EACH WAY to/from the cruise port to central Bangkok, so that will save a lot of traffic time (Bangkok can have some notorious traffic jams!)

In Saigon (most of the locals still use this name, though technically it's HCMC), there is a company called TIGER Tours with whom I have been in touch. We were thinking of a day tour to the Cu Chi tunnels and Black Mountain and Cao Dai Temples outside of Saigon the first day, and then they do a very cool motor scooter day tour of Saigon (each person drives their own scooter) - which would be a GREAT way to experience the city (almost everyone there rides scooters!) If you're game, this should be a HOOT! A fun thing to do at night (or at least it was the last time I was there) is to go to the roof of the Rex Hotel for sunset cocktails...

Will probably just do a something low-key in Hue and still doing my research on Hanoi. If anyone is interested in any of these tours, please let me know, or if you have any feedback or information as well.

Hope everyone is well and looking forward to the holidays! March is just around the corner!

Woo-hoo! Thom & Adrian

Well the first Asia cruise for the Millennium is underway. They are doing our same Northbound run. I am anxious to hear back from people on it. I finally nailed down all the info for our last private tour. I have nothing left to do except maybe figure out more details on how to spend our time in Hong Kong.

Now we wait.....

Hi Everyone - So final payment has passed and the ship is STILL almost sold out! This is a POPULAR cruise, to say the least! We booked our Concierge cabin 15 months ago (while on Celebrity Equinox in the Eastern Mediterranean) and we got the last stateroom available in our class!

Woo-hoo! Thom & Adrian

The cruise has a few cabins that keep opening up everyday but the price point for our sailing is nothing like the price for the ones who sailed today and the ones who are on the other northbound sailing. I kept hoping for a price decrease so I could move out of the broom closet but alas, that's NOT going to happen! :( Besides, I only need it for freshening up and sleeping. I'll be in the cabin so little this trip I probably will not even need the ice! :eek::D

Have booked shore excursions and all paid, now just deciding on drinks packages. Feeling will get soda package for son and still thinking about hubbie and myself.

I was looking at the bottled water package since it is well advised that you use bottle water in most of these countries - especially Cambodia and Vietnam. I hope to decide soon! So many last minute decisions to make... ok not really last minute but I feel like this cruise should be here already! I booked it so long ago. Usually I book a cruise close in - 3 months or less! :eek::)

All this time for planning is making me nuts! :D

Well, we are already packed! really for the South China sea, we believe in packing early althrough it does only leave us with a couple of shirts and a pair of trousers each to wear for the next 3 months but there is a thing called Eau De Toilette!:rolleyes:

Wow... now that's quite the ambitious packing schedule. I have compiled a bag full of necessities for this trip but none of them are clothing. That doesn't happen until a week prior to sailing if I'm lucky! Not to mention I need new luggage... again... courtesy of airline mishandling. :eek: Just another reason to go shopping this holiday season! :D

Well the first Asia cruise for the Millennium is underway. They are doing our same Northbound run. I am anxious to hear back from people on it. I finally nailed down all the info for our last private tour. I have nothing left to do except maybe figure out more details on how to spend our time in Hong Kong.

Now we wait.....

I can't wait to see the reviews, tips and hints. The only thing is if the current cruise doesn't have a large roll call then we probably will not get any info! :cool: Let's hope we get tons of info!! I am awaiting it with baited breath!! :D

If you haven't already done so, you might want to find a travel clinic and make sure you have your immunizations in order for visiting these countries. Bangkok isn't that much of an issue and Singapore is fine. Vietnam is the concern and if anyone plans on visiting Cambodia, it's also recommended to have certain vaccines for there too.

Here's a small list but CDC.gov has the entire list for each country. There's also been an up-tick in Dengue Fever. Make sure to pack mosquito repellant with DEET!

Recommended Immunizations:

Typhoid

Polio

Hepatitis A

Also it's recommended to bring anti-malarial drugs for Cambodia/Vietnam.

I received one vaccination that I was missing for this trip today so I will be covered by sailing! AWESOME!!! :D

So after a long hiatus (a transatlantic & caribbean cruise later) I am looking to finish booking private tours. I'm currently looking at the Bangkok port stop, and looking at an interesting 2 city over night tour - Ayutthaya - Bangkok.

Ayutthaya is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and looks to have some AMAZING temples and ruins. There is a Thai touring Co. that has a prearranged overnight tour from our Bangkok port stop. Here is the itinerary:

Day 1 Departs: 09:00

09:00 Pick up dockside Laem Chabang Port

We'll be waiting for you when you get off the ship. Your guide will have a sign with your name on it. The sooner you get off the sooner we can leave.

11:30 Arrive at Sacred City of Ayutthaya

It's about two and a half hours from Laem Chabang to Ayutthaya. Once you arrive you can explore some of the ancient ruins within the main city.

12:15 Lunch in a Thai Restaurant

Lunch will be served in a local Thai restaurant

13:00 Wat Mahathat & Wat Lokayasutharam

These are the two best temples in Ayutthaya and each one has its own unique characteristics.

15:00 Long-tail Boat Trip

Mid afternoon you can take a long-tail boat trip around the island of Ayutthaya stopping at the elephant kraal along the way.

16:30 Depart for Bangkok

You can relax in air conditioned comfort while the driver takes you to your hotel in Bangkok.

18:30 Arrive at your hotel in Bangkok

You can expect to be in your hotel around 6:00pm depending on the traffic. Please remember that your overnight accommodation and dinner are not included in the tour cost.

Day 2 Departs: 08:00

08:00 Pick up from your hotel

You'll need to check-out early and then meet us in the lobby at 8:00am. Today is a full day with lots to see so please don't be late.

08:45 Wat Pho Reclining Buddha Temple

Wat Po is considered Thailand's first university and houses the famous Reclining Buddha.

10:00 Grand Palace Wat Phra Kaeo

The Grand Palace incorporates Wat Phra Kaeo or the Temple of the Emerald Buddha which is Thailand's most revered temple. Please dress accordingly.

12:45 Lunch in Thai Restaurant

Lunch will be in a Thai restaurant beside the Chao Phraya River 13:30 Depart for Laem Chabang

You can relax in air conditioned comfort while the driver returns you to your ship at Laem Chabang.

15:30 Arrive back at your ship

You can expect to be back on board by 3:30pm depending on the traffic.

For a group of 6, it would run about $175/pp for both days, not including hotel. The more people, the lower the cost. My group is 3, would anyone else be interested in joining?

I am arranging another private tour, this time for our Hanoi port stop, and here are the details:

ITINERARY

Day 1 (13 Mar): Halong Bay Cruise

13:00 Pick up and transfer to Halong wharf, you will get on a traditional wooden boat cruising around this magnificent Halong Bay and among thousands islands that jut out of the sea with its spectacular natural environment. The first stop on this four-hour cruise is Dong Thien Cung (Heavenly Palace Grotto), Dau Go Cave with History of Vietnam’s fight against Mongolian 13th Century. Then we continue cruising to the southern part of the Bay, where we will admire view of many strange-shaped islets - Fighting cock, Dog Rock and Incense Burner islets… Cruise back to habor, get on car and return to cruise ship at about 18.00.

Day 2 (14 Mar): Halong – Hanoi (Lunch)

7.30 Pick up at your place and head out for Hanoi capital (3.5hours drive).

11.00 Arrive in Hanoi, start visiting some highlights of Hanoi City with the Temple of Literature, the first university in Vietnam dating back to the 11th century; and a popular attraction, as is Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum, his simple stilt house where he lived and worked, One Pillar pagoda nearby. Have lunch at local restaurant.

Afternoon, experience sitting on a cyclo, enjoying views of what is happening on the streets of the Old Quarter, visit Hoan Kiem Lake with Ngoc Son temple and then enjoy a performance of traditional Water Puppettry (an art form unique to northern Vietnam, and an interesting, light-hearted introduction to its rural culture)

16.00 leave Hanoi for Halong and see you off at 20.00 on your cruise ship.

TOUR PRICE in USD per person:

Group of 3 pax: US$173/person

Group of 5 pax: US$120/person

Group of 7 pax: US$95/person

Tour includes:

• Transportation as per program, pick up and drop off at a place in Halong City

• Entrance fees, cyclo riding, water puppet show

• Boat cruising on Halong Bay (Image Cruise)

• 1 lunch in Hanoi

• English speaking guide

• Drink water on car

Tour excludes: personal expenses, berevage, travel insurance, tips

Anyone interested in joining our group of three?

I am arranging another private tour, this time for our Hanoi port stop, and here are the details:

ITINERARY

Day 1 (13 Mar): Halong Bay Cruise

13:00 Pick up and transfer to Halong wharf, you will get on a traditional wooden boat cruising around this magnificent Halong Bay and among thousands islands that jut out of the sea with its spectacular natural environment. The first stop on this four-hour cruise is Dong Thien Cung (Heavenly Palace Grotto), Dau Go Cave with History of Vietnam’s fight against Mongolian 13th Century. Then we continue cruising to the southern part of the Bay, where we will admire view of many strange-shaped islets - Fighting cock, Dog Rock and Incense Burner islets… Cruise back to habor, get on car and return to cruise ship at about 18.00.

Day 2 (14 Mar): Halong – Hanoi (Lunch)

7.30 Pick up at your place and head out for Hanoi capital (3.5hours drive).

11.00 Arrive in Hanoi, start visiting some highlights of Hanoi City with the Temple of Literature, the first university in Vietnam dating back to the 11th century; and a popular attraction, as is Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum, his simple stilt house where he lived and worked, One Pillar pagoda nearby. Have lunch at local restaurant.

Afternoon, experience sitting on a cyclo, enjoying views of what is happening on the streets of the Old Quarter, visit Hoan Kiem Lake with Ngoc Son temple and then enjoy a performance of traditional Water Puppettry (an art form unique to northern Vietnam, and an interesting, light-hearted introduction to its rural culture)

16.00 leave Hanoi for Halong and see you off at 20.00 on your cruise ship.

TOUR PRICE in USD per person:

Group of 3 pax: US$173/person

Group of 5 pax: US$120/person

Group of 7 pax: US$95/person

Tour includes:

• Transportation as per program, pick up and drop off at a place in Halong City

• Entrance fees, cyclo riding, water puppet show

• Boat cruising on Halong Bay (Image Cruise)

• 1 lunch in Hanoi

• English speaking guide

• Drink water on car

Tour excludes: personal expenses, berevage, travel insurance, tips

Anyone interested in joining our group of three?

Hi - Yes, my spouse Adrian and I would be interested in joining this tour. This is exactly what we were looking to do in Hanoi! Contact me at:

ThomasACross3@gmail.com

Cheers, Thom & Adrian

Just joined this forum looking at last minute options for cruises in Asia. For this Pied Piper cruise, is it too late to try and book for something?

Last minute trip to Asia and thought I could spend some of the time on a cruise. Through my research, I found this PP one, the Atlantis (seems overpriced) and one being done by Holland America (Hong Kong to Japan).

My husband and I are booked through PP for this cruise. Definitely quite excited about it.

We managed to find Cathay tickets in business using AA points for the flights there and back. We will be staying 2 days prior to embarkation at the Marina Bay Sands hotel (a bit of a bank breaker, but we REALLY want to swim in that pool!!!). And we have one night booked in HK after the cruise before flying home.

We are still deciding what to do in the ports. I was hoping to get further information from PP as to if they are planning their own overnight tours at the overnight stops (at an additional cost of course), or if I should begin researching booking on my own or through Celebrity directly.

Thomas, I was wondering if you were able to find out if PP was doing any special tours for their group. My friend and I will be traveling with them on the March 3 departure and are excited but somewhat overwhelmed at all the options available.

Just joined this forum looking at last minute options for cruises in Asia. For this Pied Piper cruise, is it too late to try and book for something?

Last minute trip to Asia and thought I could spend some of the time on a cruise. Through my research, I found this PP one, the Atlantis (seems overpriced) and one being done by Holland America (Hong Kong to Japan).

Hello and welcome to Cruise Critic.

You are correct about Atlantis being over priced and highly disorganized with their Asian cruise product. I switched from Atlantis to PP because the price point was excellent (back then it was) and the itinerary is longer with more port time. It's not too late to book Pied Piper. They still are showing cabins available on their website. Just be aware that the cruise is past final payment now so when you book you will be responsible for the entire payment up front. Not sure if you're new to cruising in general or not but final payment occurs at 75 days prior to sailing.

If you are looking at booking this cruise and want to do organized excursions through the ship, you'd best not wait. Now that people know they're going those will go quickly and inventory was already limited when I booked a couple months back. Whatever you decide... good luck and bon voyage to you! :)

PS... I'm not sure of your age but Holland America is slanted to really old clientele and their ship rolls up at about 10PM for entertainment and other stuff. Something to consider there.

Thomas, I was wondering if you were able to find out if PP was doing any special tours for their group. My friend and I will be traveling with them on the March 3 departure and are excited but somewhat overwhelmed at all the options available.

I was told by a PP representative if they decided to do tours on their own they would be announcing the details in January 2013. I chose not to wait and booked my excursions with Celebrity. However, if PP comes out with something better I can always cancel and go with them. Hope this helps!

For the Bangkok and Ho Chi Min ports, we have booked our own hotel using SPG points and plan to explore those cities on our own. Our main concern is transportation to and from the ship (and mainly on not missing the boat on the way back), so we plan to pay for the cruise lines' transportation. (They offer "night on your own" transportation). I'm sure there are much cheaper options, but going with the cruise line does provide some piece of mind.

We are still trying to decide what to do in Hanoi. We are torn between spending the night there (giving us more time to explore the city given the 7 hours return travel time), but that would mean no time for Halong Bay, which we have been told is a MUST see. (The itinerary which SFOTraveler posted does seem very tempting -- it's the 7 hours of travel time for 5 hours of tour on the second day that isn't as appealing!)

Hey Guys!

I don't know if any of you guys have been keeping tabs on the returning cruisers from the first Northbound run but those booked on independent tours were getting off the ship much later than those booked on Celebrity tours. I know quite a lot of you are doing overnights in cities so that'll increase your time there but I just wanted to pass along the information I'm finding.

Seems as though the food has run quite salty according to one report I've seen. The Cruise Director is some chap from Canada named Steve (ironically not my friend who also lives in Canada and loves cruising)! :)

Hopefully as we scour the sites to get more info we can share it with each other here.

Thanks and hope everyone had a safe, happy and healthy Christmas and best wishes for a great New Year!

Hey Guys!

I don't know if any of you guys have been keeping tabs on the returning cruisers from the first Northbound run but those booked on independent tours were getting off the ship much later than those booked on Celebrity tours. I know quite a lot of you are doing overnights in cities so that'll increase your time there but I just wanted to pass along the information I'm finding.

Seems as though the food has run quite salty according to one report I've seen. The Cruise Director is some chap from Canada named Steve (ironically not my friend who also lives in Canada and loves cruising)! :)

Hopefully as we scour the sites to get more info we can share it with each other here.

Thanks and hope everyone had a safe, happy and healthy Christmas and best wishes for a great New Year!

Where are these reports? I can't seem to find anything in the Asia, Millennium reviews or Celebrity sections. Can someone post a link?

Eek! Hopefully they get most of the immigration mess worked out before our cruise. (And that review cemented my decision to get our visas for Vietnam directly from the Embassy in Ottawa rather than trying to get them on the ship. While they ultimately will be more expensive this way, it sounds like it will save hours of aggravation and worry while on board, which means money well spent!)

Archived