Celebrity Millennium Singapore to Hong Kong - March 3, 2013

CruisersSFO

Thank you Thom & Adrian,

I am on the Feb 17 cruise Hong Kong - Singapore and having the same questions about visas. It seems that every group is having the same discussion. I called Celebrity today and got a different answer.... actually, no answer. I hope you're right! :)

Hi Everyone -

I just spoke with a representative at Celebrity who informed me that they will obtain Vietnamese visas for passengers for a charge of $50 pp. She recommended for those (like ourselves) who will be spending the night off of the ship and will need to take our passports with us (all hotels require a passport WITH a valid visa to check in) to inform Hotel Services in advance of our arrival in Saigon so that we can get our passports as soon as possible. She DID recommend that if we were able to obtain a tourist visa IN ADVANCE of our departure on the cruise that it might be the best option!

Also - for anyone who lives in the Bay Area: There is a Vietnamese Consulate at 1700 California Street in San Francisco and you can obtain a Vietnamese tourist visa in 1-3 days, which is what we are going to do (seeing is how it's about 10 blocks from where we live!)

Tomorrow marks four weeks until we fly off to Tokyo and on to Singapore! Yee-HAW!

Thom & Adrian

Hi Everyone -

I just spoke with a representative at Celebrity who informed me that they will obtain Vietnamese visas for passengers for a charge of $50 pp. She recommended for those (like ourselves) who will be spending the night off of the ship and will need to take our passports with us (all hotels require a passport WITH a valid visa to check in) to inform Hotel Services in advance of our arrival in Saigon so that we can get our passports as soon as possible. She DID recommend that if we were able to obtain a tourist visa IN ADVANCE of our departure on the cruise that it might be the best option!

Also - for anyone who lives in the Bay Area: There is a Vietnamese Consulate at 1700 California Street in San Francisco and you can obtain a Vietnamese tourist visa in 1-3 days, which is what we are going to do (seeing is how it's about 10 blocks from where we live!)

Tomorrow marks four weeks until we fly off to Tokyo and on to Singapore! Yee-HAW!

Thom & Adrian

Just to be clear, a visa is only needed if you are going to spend the night off the ship in Viet Nam, correct?

Good luck figuring this out. There is a blog that was written by someone who just took the cruise: http://www.27thousandwaves.com/

It seems that EVERY cruise is asking the same question (I am on the 2-17-2013 cruise) and that rules are ever-changing (I was at the Vietnam Consulate in New York yesterday and today). There appear to be different rules depending on whether you are day tripping, over night tripping, or over night tripping more than once. There are also visas on arrival, single entry, and multientry visas.

Unless you are doing something crazy (we are ditching the boat in Halong Bay, flying to Siem Reap, and meeting back in HCMC), I suggest just waiting it out and doing what the cruise line recommends on board. For those of you who are doing something a little crazy, I recommend going to the Consulate or contacting the Consulate. The visas are now 100 for single entry and 150 for multientry from the Consulate. I am not sure how Celebrity gets a discount.... but they seem to.

WhitsEnd - I'm doing the reverse of you. I'm picking up the boat again in HCMC after ditching it in Bangkok. The visa situation is very interesting. I'm happy I'm flying into Vietnam and not coming out of it. I'd be afraid I'd never get out. After hearing how Celebrity excursions bungled the first Bangkok -> HCMC trip I'm hoping they've worked out the kinks with the Thai authorities prior to arrival in Bangkok! Good luck with your quest for answers and please come back and share your stories!

ALL - We are getting closer. The people on the Pied Piper side of the house... we got a list of recommended shore excursions and unfortunately most of the ones I booked don't align with their suggestions. I'm strongly considering changing my shore excursion for the morning of the departure in Singapore. The trishaw excursion seems to be a favorite with a lot of people who have done it. Never been in a trishaw so I think it'll be better then seeing the highlights of the city by day which I'll be doing the night before at night! :cool:

It's so great to finally be in the month that I'm flying out in!! :D

I am a bit curious, what are you guys all doing for local currency? I figured I would just exchange some USD when I am in the actual counties. I know Vietnam will take USD at most places, but I am more concerned with Bangkok (I think it will be easy to find currency exchanges in Singapore and Hong Kong). Any ideas? I know I am using my AMEX card for hotels, etc so this would just be for spending money on food, gifts, etc.

Wow. We are really getting close. Three weeks from now I will be trying to get everything together for our flight!

I am a bit curious, what are you guys all doing for local currency? I figured I would just exchange some USD when I am in the actual counties. I know Vietnam will take USD at most places, but I am more concerned with Bangkok (I think it will be easy to find currency exchanges in Singapore and Hong Kong). Any ideas? I know I am using my AMEX card for hotels, etc so this would just be for spending money on food, gifts, etc.

Wow. We are really getting close. Three weeks from now I will be trying to get everything together for our flight!

I plan to use an ATM card to obtain cash from ATM machines. Don't you have an ATM card that refunds ALL transaction fees worldwide? Charles Schwab Bank is one that I use, and there's no minimuns to maintain the account, BEST ATM card I have.

NEVER had any problems whatsoever. As a frequent traveler, I'm surprised you don't have something like that.

My bank waived the currency exchange fee for me and I got some Singapore Dollars so I can just get to the hotel and check in and be done with it. No running around the airport looking for a kiosk. It seems that Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia all are accepting of USD but Thailand will give you a crappier exchange rate if you hand over USD instead of their currency. I will figure out what I need in Hong Kong. I plan on spending more money between Cambodia and Vietnam but since I'm staying pre-cruise in Singapore I want to be sure I am covered. :)

I am not comfortable using my ATM card outside the country unless it's in Canada. Some suggest using a money card from VISA but that's gone the way side. I'm considering Travelers Cheques. Old fashion but the cruise ships take them with no problems and you get it in US currency. It's good the ship has the USD as it's main denomination and not the local currency like the RCCL immersion ships.

My bank waived the currency exchange fee for me and I got some Singapore Dollars so I can just get to the hotel and check in and be done with it. No running around the airport looking for a kiosk. It seems that Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia all are accepting of USD but Thailand will give you a crappier exchange rate if you hand over USD instead of their currency. I will figure out what I need in Hong Kong. I plan on spending more money between Cambodia and Vietnam but since I'm staying pre-cruise in Singapore I want to be sure I am covered. :)

I am not comfortable using my ATM card outside the country unless it's in Canada. Some suggest using a money card from VISA but that's gone the way side. I'm considering Travelers Cheques. Old fashion but the cruise ships take them with no problems and you get it in US currency. It's good the ship has the USD as it's main denomination and not the local currency like the RCCL immersion ships.

Travelers checks are a hassle and become very expensive because of change fees. They are no longer treated the same way there were 25 years ago. They are not any more convient than cash, and you STILL need to go to a bank and exchange them for local currency, so you have to find one that's open. I travel all over the world and NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER had a problem using ATMs. That includes Russia, Central America, Eastern europe, Egypt

Not sure what you're afraid of, TBH, there's probably MORE fraud here in the US than abroad with regard to ATMs, so your fears are irrational.

Just to be clear, a visa is only needed if you are going to spend the night off the ship in Viet Nam, correct?

Yes, that is my understanding. I'm not sure if you are doing a CCL-sponsored tour that spends the night off of the ship, as I imagine (hope?) that those arrangements would be included in the tour.

The tour manager who booked our cruise said the ship obtains a group visa from the ship's manifest. There will typically be nothing entered into your individual passport, like a stamp, etc. As every hotel requires you to present your passport in order to check in, that is the reason we are obtaining a separate visa.

Thom & Adrian

Yes, that is my understanding. I'm not sure if you are doing a CCL-sponsored tour that spends the night off of the ship, as I imagine (hope?) that those arrangements would be included in the tour.

The tour manager who booked our cruise said the ship obtains a group visa from the ship's manifest. There will typically be nothing entered into your individual passport, like a stamp, etc. As every hotel requires you to present your passport in order to check in, that is the reason we are obtaining a separate visa.

Thom & Adrian

Thanks for the clarification. No, I will not be on the CCL-sponsored tour that spends the night off the ship. Right now I am only singed up for the Ha Long Bay by Boat on the 14th. I was thinking of the Countryside by bicycle and Hoi An Town on the 12th. No plans right now for Saigon, any suggestions? :)

Just want to bump up this private tour I have organized. The group is now 5, and if we get another couple for a group of 7 we can lower the price for all to $175/pp for BOTH days, not including the Bangkok overnight hotel and dinner that night. There are Many reasonably priced hotels of good quality for around $75-$100/nt

I just wanted to repost that I have organized a Private tour to Bangkok AND the city of Ayutthaya (It's an UNESCO World Heritage Site) withspace available. We would visit the city of Ayutthaya the first day, be dropped off in Bangkok for an overnight, then tour Bangkok the next day before returning to the ship. The cost would be around $200/pp for both Days NOT including the Bangkok hotel and dinner that night. Here is the itinerary:

Day 1 Departs: 09:00

09:00 Pick up dockside Laem Chabang Port

We'll be waiting for you when you get off the ship. Your guide will have a sign with your name on it. The sooner you get off the sooner we can leave.

11:30 Arrive at Sacred City of Ayutthaya

It's about two and a half hours from Laem Chabang to Ayutthaya. Once you arrive you can explore some of the ancient ruins within the main city.

12:15 Lunch in a Thai Restaurant

Lunch will be served in a local Thai restaurant

13:00 Wat Mahathat & Wat Lokayasutharam

These are the two best temples in Ayutthaya and each one has its own unique characteristics.

15:00 Long-tail Boat Trip

Mid afternoon you can take a long-tail boat trip around the island of Ayutthaya stopping at the elephant kraal along the way.

16:30 Depart for Bangkok

You can relax in air conditioned comfort while the driver takes you to your hotel in Bangkok.

18:30 Arrive at your hotel in Bangkok

You can expect to be in your hotel around 6:00pm depending on the traffic. Please remember that your overnight accommodation and dinner are not included in the tour cost.

Day 2 Departs: 08:00

08:00 Pick up from your hotel

You'll need to check-out early and then meet us in the lobby at 8:00am. Today is a full day with lots to see so please don't be late.

08:45 Wat Pho Reclining Buddha Temple

Wat Po is considered Thailand's first university and houses the famous Reclining Buddha.

10:00 Grand Palace Wat Phra Kaeo

The Grand Palace incorporates Wat Phra Kaeo or the Temple of the Emerald Buddha which is Thailand's most revered temple. Please dress accordingly.

12:45 Lunch in Thai Restaurant

Lunch will be in a Thai restaurant beside the Chao Phraya River

13:30 Depart for Laem Chabang

You can relax in air conditioned comfort while the driver returns you to your ship at Laem Chabang.

15:30 Arrive back at your ship

You can expect to be back on board by 3:30pm depending on the traffic.

If you're interested, please email me at:

k w o k p o t at a o l dot c o m

Just leave out the spaces and substitute @ for 'at' and . for 'dot'

Trying to get the final details ready. I am sitting down and figureing out exactly what we want to try and accomplish in Singapore and Hong Kong. So much of Singapore depends on how we feel after that flight. We arrive at 1 AM and are headed to a small hotel until the next day where we will transfer to Marina Bay Sands for two nights. I know I want to hit up Gardens By the Bay and Chinatown, Little India, etc. Just not sure when.

I figure if we are using the (still unfinished) terminal in Hong Kong and they provide a shuttle to the Kowloon MRT station, we will hit up Lantau Island on the first day in Hong Kong. We can explore the city itself the next two days. I really want to try and fit in the Dragon's Back hike one day. So much to see and do....

On another note, Wade and I decided to split up after 8.5 years. Everything is good and we will remain great friends. However, this will be our last trip together. We don't argue or fight, but I suspect I will have a lot more free time on the ship now...ha ha. Just thought I would mention it if we show up at the meet and greets, etc.

Got a "definitive" response from CCL - If you are going to be staying off the ship at night while in Vietnam you will need an INDIVIDUAL visa in your passport. And you will need to take your passport with you, as the hotels will need it in order to check in.

CCL will obtain an individual visa for your for $50 pp (let them know AHEAD OF OUR ARRIVAL IN VIETNAM). Or you can obtain one in advance through the embassy, a consulate or through a visa expediting service.

Just thought we should make sure everyone knows this.

Less than three weeks! YEE-HAW! Don't forget the sunscreen/sunblock. It's gonna be HOT 'n SUNNY on this cruise!

Gung Hei Fat Choi! Happy Year of the Snake!

Thom 'n Adrian

:D:D:D:DWell I cant believe that our holiday is so close now. Collected all our travel paperwork last night. Now it feels real. I have been reading with interest comments from those who have completed the earlier cruises and have decided that even though there has been some negative comments I am going to go on board with nothing but excitement and anticipation. I am not looking for faults or problems I am going to have a bloody good holiday. See you all on the 3rd.

P.S Watched a great Australia programe on TV the other night all about Singapore. Gardens by the Bay- all I can say is WOW . Even hubbie was impressed. Also highlighted the Zoo and Marina Bay Sands. :)

Hello , was wondering if there would be theme nights on this cruise. Thought I had packing sorted with clothes for formal nights, humid conditions for Singapore and Thailand and Vietnam, and cooler clothes for Hong Kong then a friend who's just returned from a cruise asked me what the theme nights are on our cruise. Have not had any information with our cruise documents that I collected last week. Running out of suitcase room, looking at excess luggage before I even leave home

Hello , was wondering if there would be theme nights on this cruise. Thought I had packing sorted with clothes for formal nights, humid conditions for Singapore and Thailand and Vietnam, and cooler clothes for Hong Kong then a friend who's just returned from a cruise asked me what the theme nights are on our cruise. Have not had any information with our cruise documents that I collected last week. Running out of suitcase room, looking at excess luggage before I even leave home

Unlike some of the other mass market lines (or charters), Celebrity doesn't do any themed nights or at least none that I have seen while reading about the cruise we're about to embark on together. I'd save any of your white clothes for a cruise on NCL! They have several theme nights on NCL. :D

I wanted to get a sense of what others are thinking about how they will dress for Formal Nights and other nights. Would I be a sore thumb if I packed a dark pen stripe suite for the formal nights:confused: and for those of you who have traveled before on Celebrity for the other nights at dinner is it acceptable to ware a shot sleeve polo shirt or should I bring long sleeve dress shirts and ties for each of those nights and a blazer :confused:

I don't anticipate that I'll be eating many of my meals outside of the dinning room as I really don't like the buffet style of eating.

I wanted to get a sense of what others are thinking about how they will dress for Formal Nights and other nights. Would I be a sore thumb if I packed a dark pen stripe suite for the formal nights:confused: and for those of you who have traveled before on Celebrity for the other nights at dinner is it acceptable to ware a shot sleeve polo shirt or should I bring long sleeve dress shirts and ties for each of those nights and a blazer :confused:

I don't anticipate that I'll be eating many of my meals outside of the dinning room as I really don't like the buffet style of eating.

CCL just does formal nights on their cruises. I believe this one will have three formal nights (usually At Sea nights). Regular attire in the evenings is shirt and slacks. Some people "dress" for dinner every night, i.e. suit and ties and dresses. They discourage shorts, t-shirts and flip flops in the dining room. On formal nights you will see everything from suits and ties and dresses to some in full-on evening wear: tuxedos and gowns!

Since we are going to be sailing pretty much in tropical weather (hopefully!) the entire time, Adrian and I found that wearing guayabera-style shirts (i.e. Tommy Bahamas, etc.) and khakis did the trick last year on our Mediterranean cruise! We both have suits for formal nights! So your pin stripes will definitely fit right in!

Less than two weeks, everyone!

Thom & Adrian

I am bringing a double-breasted suit jacket to use. I'm not going all out with the entire suit as luggage space is at a premium. For non-formal nights I plan on bringing dress pants and long-sleeve shirts. On most ships I've been on the dining room is freezing but I understand it helps the staff stay cool with all the running around they do. However, in reading reports about the dining room on the Millennium having varying temperatures depending on where you sit I am revisiting this! :cool: Go ahead and bring the suit! :D

As for what I will be wearing.... I am (a bit reluctantly) going to bring my suit for formal nights. Other then that, it will be polos and khakis for the most part. I am just thinking of all luggage space issues, etc. We will be gone for three weeks and I know we will have to pay for laundry at least once.

Other then that, we are pretty much ready to go. I went to the store and picked up everything I could need. Of course, I forgot a couple things but I will grab them soon enough. We fly out Wednesday morning. I am actually off Sun, Mon and Tues though. Pretty nice to have all that time to get ready. Usually I am scrambling at the last moment to get it all done.

Not much longer!

Just in time for the trip Mother Nature is making an active weather pattern on the East Coast! Joy for anyone trying to fly out mid-week! :eek:

Luggage constraints are going to be a pain... literally in the wallet. I've done simulation packing of clothing to one piece of luggage and it's just not happening. The luggage is overweight so you'll pay for that and it's more on the airline I'm using versus just bringing a second bag. Plus with over packing the first piece of luggage there's no room for souveneirs! :cool:

On a lighter note... this is the last weekend before flying out! Two more working days left! :D

:) Holidays offically started last pm at 5pm. Spent the night in Emergency Dept with hubbie, ( so really was back at work, so to speak), Hubbie now home and feeling better, knows I will be going without him if he gets sick again, Only kidding. Have planned this holiday for over 2 years and cant believe he got sick. Have worked well on keeping self and Mitchell well. Fingers crossed,

I have decided to pre purchase additional buggage allowance , was going to buy another suitcase in Hong Kong but noticed our transfer from hotel to airport does not allow for additional luggage. Am packing a suit each for Allan and Mitchell, with crisp white shirts and a variety of different coloured neck ties. I figured on this curise we will all have the same problems of luggage limitations and weather variations. So hope everyone will be understanding of us Aussies who will be doubling up on wearing the same clothes a couple of times on the cruise. We fly out Wed night, I am so excited, just got to keep hubbie, who never gets sick, well.:rolleyes:

See you all on the 3rd March. Hope everyone else is this excited. xxxxx

Can you tell we dont do things like this, we as a family we have concentrated on Australian holidays, enjoyed our wonderful outback and beyond, so to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary I booked this and then told Allan and Mitchell. They are both excited now as well.:eek:

Archived