Just Returned from the June 9 Oasis

RPD

We very much enjoyed this cruise. It was awfully crowded, but we expected as much considering it's the first week of summer vacation for Florida schools. I was really surprised by how many foreigners were on it... seemed like English speakers were in the minority. Also, as others said, the shipped only seemed crowded when waiting for an elevator (which was quite often, unfortunately).

My biggest complaint: the seat-saving epidemic is real, and unfortunately, RCI did little to stop it short of an announcement before each show that says "seat saving is discouraged." Really makes things difficult to find good seats when you've waited in line like everyone else. When waiting to see Hairspray, we encountered an aggressive seat saver... she was an embarrassment. She tried to save no less than 10 seats (and only had her daughter helping her) and proceeded to shout the names of the people she was saving seats for into the theater in an attempt to find them. I'm not sure why these people just can't plan on all meeting as a group.

On the positive side, we LOVED Amy Fickert as our CD. She was really funny and you can tell she's very hard-working. Her video (parody) of what cruise directors do on a regular basis was hysterical. I know some folks have been down on her on CC, but we are huge fans.

The food in the MDR got progressively better from night to night. The Lobster was fantastic, as was the filet mingon. My only beef is with the desserts... I have no idea why RCI can't just make normal desserts we're accustomed to, like Apple Pie a la mode, NY Cheesecake, Strawberry Shortcake, etc. Everything seemed to have flavors that made the dessert inedible... they should just stick to the basics.

Another thing: our Junior Suite had lounge chairs, which made spending time on the balcony much more enjoyable. We were in a hump cabin on the port side, and our views of the ports were great!

All in all, a great cruise.

We very much enjoyed this cruise. It was awfully crowded, but we expected as much considering it's the first week of summer vacation for Florida schools. I was really surprised by how many foreigners were on it... seemed like English speakers were in the minority. Also, as others said, the shipped only seemed crowded when waiting for an elevator (which was quite often, unfortunately).

My biggest complaint: the seat-saving epidemic is real, and unfortunately, RCI did little to stop it short of an announcement before each show that says "seat saving is discouraged." Really makes things difficult to find good seats when you've waited in line like everyone else. When waiting to see Hairspray, we encountered an aggressive seat saver... she was an embarrassment. She tried to save no less than 10 seats (and only had her daughter helping her) and proceeded to shout the names of the people she was saving seats for into the theater in an attempt to find them. I'm not sure why these people just can't plan on all meeting as a group.

On the positive side, we LOVED Amy Fickert as our CD. She was really funny and you can tell she's very hard-working. Her video (parody) of what cruise directors do on a regular basis was hysterical. I know some folks have been down on her on CC, but we are huge fans.

The food in the MDR got progressively better from night to night. The Lobster was fantastic, as was the filet mingon. My only beef is with the desserts... I have no idea why RCI can't just make normal desserts we're accustomed to, like Apple Pie a la mode, NY Cheesecake, Strawberry Shortcake, etc. Everything seemed to have flavors that made the dessert inedible... they should just stick to the basics.

Another thing: our Junior Suite had lounge chairs, which made spending time on the balcony much more enjoyable. We were in a hump cabin on the port side, and our views of the ports were great!

All in all, a great cruise.

Which itinerary were you on ? Did the ship dock on port side? I have heard it docks starboard side so I am curious.

Which itinerary were you on ? Did the ship dock on port side? I have heard it docks starboard side so I am curious.

It was the Western Caribbean. At Port Everglades, we faced the port (not very scenic), in Labadee, we faced away from the RCI side of the port with beautiful views of the mountains, in Falmouth, we faced the port and in Cozumel, we faced the port.

One thing I forgot to mention: one the the best benefits of facing the ports is sitting on your balcony, watching the latecomers right before the ship leaves the port. In Falmouth, we actually saw someone who appeared to have been arrested during the day. He was brought to the security area in a police car while the crew paged for his wife/significant other to bring his (and her) stuff off the ship so he could presumably be prosecuted/allowed to pay bail. It held the ship up for about 10 minutes. Had to be a pain for them.

It was the Western Caribbean. At Port Everglades, we faced the port (not very scenic), in Labadee, we faced away from the RCI side of the port with beautiful views of the mountains, in Falmouth, we faced the port and in Cozumel, we faced the port.

One thing I forgot to mention: one the the best benefits of facing the ports is sitting on your balcony, watching the latecomers right before the ship leaves the port. In Falmouth, we actually saw someone who appeared to have been arrested during the day. He was brought to the security area in a police car while the crew paged for his wife/significant other to bring his (and her) stuff off the ship so he could presumably be prosecuted/allowed to pay bail. It held the ship up for about 10 minutes. Had to be a pain for them.

Thanks..guess i will shoot for a port side then. I had read starboard was the best to see the docks when you are in port..but i love watching people run to the ship :D:eek:

My only beef is with the desserts... I have no idea why RCI can't just make normal desserts we're accustomed to, like Apple Pie a la mode, NY Cheesecake, Strawberry Shortcake, etc. Everything seemed to have flavors that made the dessert inedible... they should just stick to the basics.

It seems like a lot of their desserts are gel-based for convenience. Little cooking or fussing required; just blend it all up.

Also it's probably much cheaper to use this base and then just add the inedible flavors as you need them.

Thanks for your review. Could you please tell me which night is lobster night in the main dining room? I keep hearing great things about it and don't want to have a conflict between the specialty restaurant on the same evening.

Thanks for your review! We also enjoyed that CD video...very cute and she's very self depricating, which I always find funny!

We totally agree with your dessert issues, it's fleet wide. I think a pp mentioned that they go with fruit and gel based desserts because they hold up well and are cheap. Chocolate is expensive and crusts don't sit well (get soggy). We've learned to compensate by either " drinking" dessert with a sweet after dinner drink in the theater or bar, or heading to Ben and Jerry's or Johnny Rockets. Usually our ice cream bill is higher than our bar bill.;)

Thanks for your review. Could you please tell me which night is lobster night in the main dining room? I keep hearing great things about it and don't want to have a conflict between the specialty restaurant on the same evening.

If I remember correctly, Lobster was on night #4. It's technically called the "Fisherman's Plate," but it includes two healty sized lobster tails and shrimp. It was sooo good!

Thanks..guess i will shoot for a port side then. I had read starboard was the best to see the docks when you are in port..but i love watching people run to the ship :D:eek:
That's part of the fun of cruising,watching them run or some of them just stroll and take pictures as they are taking up the gang plank.:eek:

If I remember correctly, Lobster was on night #4. It's technically called the "Fisherman's Plate," but it includes two healty sized lobster tails and shrimp. It was sooo good!

?? Mine definitely only included one lobster tail with the shrimp on my Allure sailing two weeks ago. Same on Enchantment last year. You can always ask for an extra though.

Archived