Mykonos Review - DIY

CM2J2R2S

We were tendered in Mykonos and got off our ship fairly early. Being on one of the first tenders, we wandered through the town; took photos of the windmills without hundreds of people there and continued to meander until we found ourselves in front of another scooter rental shop (see Santorini review) and decided to give the scooter another whirl. We figured we were now experts so why not? The shop was a little sketchy and the scooter was okay but the gauges did not work so that worried us a bit, but it all turned out fine. There were a couple of hills that the scooter would not take both of us up, so one of us (me) walked while the other (DH) got to ride....!

If you look at a map of Mykonos, we accidently headed southwest and ended up at Agios Ioannis and found that there were a bunch of tourist buses, so we turned around and headed back a different direction. Truth be told, we were not sure why there were so many buses and people there, there was not a lot to see. There was a farmer with his sheep around a corner and there were hundreds of people just taking photos of him. Poor guy! I cannot post the google map overiew link - but we hit Agios Ioannis, Ano Mera, Kalafati, Kalo Livadi, Elia Beach, Agrari and back to Mykonos.

We decided just to tour and see as much as we could and drove out to the outlying beach communities. We stopped for the best lunch at Agrari Beach restaurant. We were two of four people there, and they took us into the food area and showed us all that they had and prepared a plate for us based on what had been cooked that day. The food was outstanding, the service was excellent and the enclosed shady garden was a nice reprieve from the sun.

We headed back to Mykonos with enough time to shop, wander and have a glass of ouzo before getting back onto our tender.

The scooter was 20 Euro, 5 euro worth of fuel and lunch for two.... The day cost us about 45-50 Euro - including a stop at the waterfront for a drink.

Very easy to navigate with a good map, very friendly people. Everyone speaks English in the tourist areas. No problems at all. There is so much more to Mykonos than the little shops. Go see! :)

We did not need any special license for any of the islands.

And.. you're welcome for the posts - we posted these because there is not a lot that shows the ease of DIY for the Greek Islands. Also, cabs and buses are talked about but not often seen and personally, I would not rely on it, I would sweat it all day wondering if we were going to make it back on time. Scooters just made the island limitless.

We did not need any special license for any of the islands.

And.. you're welcome for the posts - we posted these because there is not a lot that shows the ease of DIY for the Greek Islands. Also, cabs and buses are talked about but not often seen and personally, I would not rely on it, I would sweat it all day wondering if we were going to make it back on time. Scooters just made the island limitless.

I would agree with you about taxis; however I've never had problems with buses in Mykonos. They've always been very reliable in my experience.

As regards scooters & ATVs: well, I live in the UK and a lot of people from here holiday in Greece, and have done for years. During that time I've read so many stories in the newspapers about inexperienced riders coming off scooters, bikes & ATVs while on holiday in Greece and suffering significant injuries. Then they've found that their travel insurance didn't cover it ('hazardous sports or activities') and the hire didn't include it.

I'm sure most people will have an enjoyable & injury-free hire, but it's not something I would do.

Archived