Menu examples Orion & The Grill on Dream

Can anyone give some examples of what to expect on the menu in the above 2 restaurants please?

We did 2 trips to the Grill but the menu was the same both nights. The menu is supposed to be different on occasion. Main courses were venison, lamb with mustard crust, lobster ravioli, surf & turf and a vegetable risotto. The menu started with a chicken "amuse bouche", then a starter, soup, salad, sorbet, the main, then dessert, followed by tea/coffee.

The Ocean served all manners of meats & fish dishes (lot of chicken or steak dishes) with one vegetarian & pasta main each night. Portions were quite small in the Ocean but you could have as many courses or portions of each course as you wanted. Anything that said it was seafood tended to be mostly white fish with a mussel or two, a couple of shrimp & maybe a bit of crabstick. We did start to crave decent portions of vegetables as it was almost as if they were there for decoration only. The mashed potato brought the Smash adverts to mind. The menu started with a starter, then soup, salad, main, then dessert, tea/coffee.

I think the food was actually better in the Ocean at lunchtime.

You definitely won't go hungry.

If you have any dietary requirements ie lactose intolerant or such, if you speak to the Maitre'D on 1st day he will ensure the kitchen will cater for you.

We did 2 trips to the Grill but the menu was the same both nights. The menu is supposed to be different on occasion. Main courses were venison, lamb with mustard crust, lobster ravioli, surf & turf and a vegetable risotto. The menu started with a chicken "amuse bouche", then a starter, soup, salad, sorbet, the main, then dessert, followed by tea/coffee.

The Ocean served all manners of meats & fish dishes (lot of chicken or steak dishes) with one vegetarian & pasta main each night. Portions were quite small in the Ocean but you could have as many courses or portions of each course as you wanted. Anything that said it was seafood tended to be mostly white fish with a mussel or two, a couple of shrimp & maybe a bit of crabstick. We did start to crave decent portions of vegetables as it was almost as if they were there for decoration only. The mashed potato brought the Smash adverts to mind. The menu started with a starter, then soup, salad, main, then dessert, tea/coffee.

I think the food was actually better in the Ocean at lunchtime.

You definitely won't go hungry.

If you have any dietary requirements ie lactose intolerant or such, if you speak to the Maitre'D on 1st day he will ensure the kitchen will cater for you.

On our 3 week Transatlantic cruise the only people that got steak were the one table that complained in the Orion, their Steak looked lovely, probably from the grill. Very disappointed as on Celebration we could have it every night if we wanted, this time I didn't ask, tried allsorts of fish dishes some were nice others didn't taste of much but I was experimenting so did not complain.

Made a comment one night to our waiter ' really enjoyed the Grouper!'

'Sir, thats not Grouper, its hake, Grouper was last night...whoops':)

Try asking for steak if you want, I always found the waiters will try and get anything for you.

Hi Victoria

How are you feeling about going on the Dream? I'v been following all the reviews and the latest ones have not been great. We have never done a cruise before and choose thomsons as they seemed more casual, but, hopefully not awful.

We are celebrating our 25th anv and have booked a blessing onboard.

Please let us know how you get on when you get back.

I am wondering if they are letting it all go a bit where the ship is going in for a refurb!

Thanks

Jane

Hi Victoria

How are you feeling about going on the Dream? I'v been following all the reviews and the latest ones have not been great. We have never done a cruise before and choose thomsons as they seemed more casual, but, hopefully not awful.

We are celebrating our 25th anv and have booked a blessing onboard.

Please let us know how you get on when you get back.

I am wondering if they are letting it all go a bit where the ship is going in for a refurb!

Thanks

Jane

Hi Jane,

I was wondering the same to be honest. Even up to last night I was still talking to hubby wondering if we should try to change ship but as I've said plenty of times before, your holiday is what YOU make it, no one else. I also find some people just want something to moan about so look for things.

Congrats on your 25th anniversary (12 yrs married for us this year lol). We considered a blessing on board but decided not just yet.

We've only cruised once before on OV2 back in 2008 & absolutely loved it. That was compared to 'Butlins at sea' but it certainly wasn't like that to us (not that I've ever been to Butlins but I know what they were getting at) We loved it & most importantly so did the kids!

Don't worry I'm sure it will be fine, I'll definitely be posting a review etc when we get back anyway. :eek:

We got back last week from on Dream... The food? the buffet if you want a snack and don't mind queing. other wise the Orion resturant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. eat as much as you like if you want to have everything i mean everything off the menu you can, and ask for different if you want . want a steak ? just ask.. the waiters are really good at thier jobs. The Grill ? worth every penny of the £20 suppliment we ended up with 8 courses of fine dinning.

I'll admit there can be an air of butlins a sea but it is what you make of it . if you don't want to play bingo you can go and have a cocktail and listen to a violin solo, or a beer listening to easy music, or a cup of tea doing a jigsaw. whatever you want. it never felt full, always seats so long as you don't mind sharing a table . but isnt that one of the charms of cruising ? actually meeting people.

In our experience on the Dream the menu for the Grill changed from week to week. I think there were only two different menus A,B,A,B but it gave a chance for those doing a b-2-b to have the choice of something different one week to the next.

Thinking about it, as I believe the change is made on the first day of each cruise they could instead change the menu over mid-week then all passengers would have the opportunity to have the two different menus not just those on for two weeks.

I too have read varied reviews re the dream, my first cruise but I'm not worried, I plan on chilling, when people are hungry in this world, and I'm lucky to be going on a fab holiday, any edible food is fine with me! I'll never starve that's for sure, I'm not religious at all, but my outlooko is be thankful for what you have. And the simple pleasur in life, like the sunshine and spending my time with loved ones is all I need x

I've read some reviews that even said the vibrations and noise from the engines are so bad, they're holidaying on a ship for goodness sake! Lol

I hope we all have a fan time, I'm sure we will :)

We go on majesty in a few weeks my husband is fussy with his food, does anyone know if it is the same as the Orion on dream that they will get you something different if you don't like what is on the menu thanks......

hi jane would not worry about the dream you will have a great time .The dream was our first cruise and it was great ,went on celebration on jan this year but we have booked the dream for june next year we preferred it . Enjoy your anniversary and dont worry about the cruise you will love it.

keith

hi jane would not worry about the dream you will have a great time .The dream was our first cruise and it was great ,went on celebration on jan this year but we have booked the dream for june next year we preferred it . Enjoy your anniversary and dont worry about the cruise you will love it.

keith

Thats a huge suprise stating you preferred the Dream? I am a Thomson regular and found the Dream has now put us off, having been on 10 plus cruises with them, it is like Butlins...and it appears that the regulars we spoke to who actually like it are off those Blackpool like ships such as Ocean Village and island escape...at the end of the day it's what you make of it, but serious layout problems in my view, all the bars crammed together.. not for me Horizons anyday for a relaxing holiday :confused:

Thats a huge suprise stating you preferred the Dream? I am a Thomson regular and found the Dream has now put us off, having been on 10 plus cruises with them, it is like Butlins...and it appears that the regulars we spoke to who actually like it are off those Blackpool like ships such as Ocean Village and island escape...at the end of the day it's what you make of it, but serious layout problems in my view, all the bars crammed together.. not for me Horizons anyday for a relaxing holiday :confused:

Blackpool type ships??? I personally loved ocean village 2 & believe me I AM NOT a Blackpool type of girl nor would I ever sail on Island Escape. Can't say I've ever been to Butlins either, couldn't think of anything worse tbh :eek:

You appear to prefer other Thomson ships so out of curiosity are they not like Butlins at sea & if not what's the difference between those & Dream??

Thanks Keith, we will make it great. Just wanted a bit of reasurring. We have actually been to Butlins when the boys were young and even though we wasn't in to all the hidi hi stuff going on, the boys loved it and we made the best and had a great time. Got to say I am looking forward to trying a few cocktails! Victoria, have a great holiday, coming round fast now. Good luck with the packing!

Jane

Thanks Keith, we will make it great. Just wanted a bit of reasurring. We have actually been to Butlins when the boys were young and even though we wasn't in to all the hidi hi stuff going on, the boys loved it and we made the best and had a great time. Got to say I am looking forward to trying a few cocktails! Victoria, have a great holiday, coming round fast now. Good luck with the packing!

Jane

Thanks Jane,

Got hubby's holiday dates for next year today & can't decide what to do, cruise, USA or Cyprus. Done all more than once so think we'll wait till we're back from Dream then decide :confused:

Well I for one am looking forward to my holiday on the Dream! The weather in the UK is the worst this summer it has ever been and I plan to soak up the sun, see some new places and enjoy the fact that someone elsle is cooking and cleaning for me for a whole week! I cannot imagine the ship is as bad as some people make out - and for every person complaining there is another saying it was a 'dream' of a holiday. I agree with Victoria - it is what you make it. Glass half full I say!

Well I for one am looking forward to my holiday on the Dream! The weather in the UK is the worst this summer it has ever been and I plan to soak up the sun, see some new places and enjoy the fact that someone elsle is cooking and cleaning for me for a whole week! I cannot imagine the ship is as bad as some people make out - and for every person complaining there is another saying it was a 'dream' of a holiday. I agree with Victoria - it is what you make it. Glass half full I say!

I'm surprised with this perception that all is not well on Dream. Perhaps things have changed since April when we were last on her but we've been on Dream four times and have really enjoyed our cruises. And I can assure you we wouldn't be going back if we weren't happy with our experiences. Look forward to your cruise - I can tell you are and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Thank you Daisy, I'm sick to death of this weather, just can't wait to go now. Half packed (kids stuff anyway) just ours to do tomorrow then up at 3am Saturday morning :)

When do you go on Dream? Would be great if it was with us few CCers that are meeting up over the next 2 weeks :)

I'm surprised with this perception that all is not well on Dream. Perhaps things have changed since April when we were last on her but we've been on Dream four times and have really enjoyed our cruises. And I can assure you we wouldn't be going back if we weren't happy with our experiences. Look forward to your cruise - I can tell you are and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

I do love your replies Kruzseeka, you never fail to make me smile, thank you.

Maybe one day we'll be on at the same time :)

I'm taking my iPad for the wifi etc so hopefully I'll be able to log on & keep you up to date once in a while of how us CCers are getting on.

I'm also a Thomson regular having cruised many times on Thomson Destiny as well as Thomson Spirit. We cruised on Thomson Dream in 2010, and had an amazing time. Indeed, on August 11, we're cruising on Thomson Dream again for 2 weeks. I had no problems with so many facilities and activities on one deck, it suited me perfectly. It meant that I didn't have to keep walking up and down stairs or taking the lift! It's certainly Thomson's flagship, and the positive reviews are certainly exceeding the negative ones!!

I agree with you kruzseeka. Our first cruise was on Dream last week and it was brilliant! Sure, she is showing her age in places but what a great time we had! Only regret we had was leaving her last Saturday to come home but remedied that by going to the TA on Monday and booked 2 weeks on Dream starting June 8th next year. Can't wait!!

Archived