Umbrellas yes/no

ChelseaSailor

For those of you who say NO umbrella: What do you do about it being hot and steamy when you wear a raincoat?

Seriously - do want advice on how to avoid hot and steamy in a rain poncho or coat.

Move!

I don't "do" humidity and wonder how people can live in it, but then I'm a PNW native..............the coolness of light sprinkles is refreshing.

I DO get off the ship in humid places, yes, but reboarding is always wonderful...............yea for A/C....and showers.:)

We are grateful that Princess took care of the one thing other passengers did that we objected to - forcing 2nd hand smoke on their neighbors from a balcony.

What does this have to do with umbrellas??? Why don't you stick to the subject instead of trying to stir it up!

Move!

:DBelieve me - we have considered it! Just can't bring ourselves to move away from all our children and grandchildren. In order to stay on topic here - I'll say that umbrellas work well in the Houston area.

originally posted by cellyml12: What does this have to do with umbrellas??? Why don't you stick to the subject instead of trying to stir it up!

Obviously that statement stirred you up! You have taken it out of context - are you trying to stir something up? :eek: What are your thoughts about the use of umbrellas in Alaska? Umbrellas yes/no - whatever your opinion - it is OK with us. We don't worry about the choices other cruisers make - but do find their opinions interesting and often learn from them.

We're going with light raincoats. I have to agree that umbrellas are really annoying when in a crowd.And unless the people using them are tall (which is all relative since I'm 5'10 & soon to be DH is over 6') umbrellas get in our way. We are of the opinion that it's Alaska and if a concern is keeping hair and makeup in place by using umbrellas, you're probably on the wrong vacation.

I'll say that umbrellas work well in the Houston area.

This may be true. I've never been to Houston so I wouldn't know, and I'd certainly consider that bit of info if I ever went there. But the question was whether to bring an umbrella to ALASKA, and all/most responders from AK and the PNW have said NO to umbrellas, so there's your answer. :D

This may be true. I've never been to Houston so I wouldn't know, and I'd certainly consider that bit of info if I ever went there. But the question was whether to bring an umbrella to ALASKA, and all/most responders from AK and the PNW have said NO to umbrellas, so there's your answer. :D

I was not looking for an answer but I'm sure the OP appreciates that you have summarized the responses. I must admit I am now sorry I ever expressed my opinion - which was not the same as all/most responders. I KNOW the question was asked for ALASKA! I threw the bit in about Houston to make an attempt to please the person who said I was off topic.

I'll pack our umbrellas and our rain jackets for our upcoming month in AK. We aren't concerned about the weather there - just look forward to the beauty - rain or shine.

I was not looking for an answer but I'm sure the OP appreciates that you have summarized the responses. I must admit I am now sorry I ever expressed my opinion - which was not the same as all/most responders. I KNOW the question was asked for ALASKA! I threw the bit in about Houston to make an attempt to please the person who said I was off topic.

Did you see the great big smiley? Maybe I needed a few more. :D:D:D:D:D:D

I brought one, but never used it. It was always a light rain or mist that my rain jacket with a hood could take care of. Plus, how are you going to take all of those amazing pictures holding an umbrella? :) Just make sure your camera doesn't get wet...

Did you see the great big smiley? Maybe I needed a few more.

Oops! Sorry I'm :o that I did not know your comment was funny. :rolleyes: Your emphasis on ALASKA :confused: me.

I thought you thought I was adding unnecessary info about Houston and I thought you thought I asked about whether or not to take an umbrella to AK. After 6 cruises to AK, with #7 and #8 coming up as well as a 2 week driving trip in AK beginning soon - we already knew the answer (FOR US) to the OP's question. Please note emphasis on FOR US!

:cool: I guess adding :D explained what you meant and I was not smart enough to pick up on that.

I keep telling myself I am not going to post on this thread again - I think I really mean it this time!:)

We also vote no umbrella. Considering the number of ships in Alaska ports these days, you are pretty well assured you'll be shoulder-to-shoulder with people on some narrow sidewalks at some point. While many people are courteous in crowds, we have been bonked by oblivious umbrella people so apparently umbrellas work great for them, just not for those around them ;). They can also create jams in doorways while being opened or closed, as not all of us as as nimble with our hands as we used to be. Personally, we like to save the weight and suite case space for something wonderful, like more tee shirts...

Archived