Umbrellas yes/no

ChelseaSailor

In pictures of Alaskan Shore Excursions you see very few umbrellas. Is it because of windy conditions or you only see pictures of sunny days?

I guess my question is do most people use umbrellas in Alaska? What are the pros and cons.

ChelseaSailor

I had a very small collapsing umbrella which I kept in my pack. I actually used it several times, and it was nice to keep the rain off my head and face. However, it certainly wouldn't keep you dry if you didn't have on your rain jacket!

Never. Always come prepared w/waterproof rain gear, preferably with a hood. I've almost had my eye poked out w/folks using umbrellas on crowded port streets. Plus if there is wind, umbrellas are rendered useless and really won't keep the rest of your body dry. Probably one of the reasons we always get out of town for our excursions - no crowds, no people, just beautiful views and amazing wildlife!:D

Never. Always come prepared w/waterproof rain gear, preferably with a hood. I've almost had my eye poked out w/folks using umbrellas on crowded port streets.

When we were walking in Juneau I felt something hit the back of my head and when I looked, it was an umbrella.

Never. Always come prepared w/waterproof rain gear, preferably with a hood. I've almost had my eye poked out w/folks using umbrellas on crowded port streets. Plus if there is wind, umbrellas are rendered useless and really won't keep the rest of your body dry. Probably one of the reasons we always get out of town for our excursions - no crowds, no people, just beautiful views and amazing wildlife!:D

I absolutely agree with the above! Umbrellas are more annoying than useful. I live in the Seattle area and we joke that only the tourists use umbrellas. A good rain jacket with hood is much more useful.

I wish I'd had my camera with me last year while strolling the forward upper decks on the Golden Princess. There was a woman with an umbrella, flipped inside out, and she was struggling to keep hold of the darn thing and trying to turn it right side out. It would have been the perfect picture to post here every time someone asks about umbrellas!

Totally agree. Umbrellas take up the use of one of your hands, which is also a pain. Quality rain gear is a much better choice.

My vote: No umbrella

Instead my vote lies with waterproof outer layers. With proper clothing you will keep dry, have both hands free to operate a camera or anything else you may want to do with your hands. Umbrellas are a nuisance. Since I travelled to Alaska I rarely use an umbrella at home either. Instead I just put on the waterproof jacket I bought for my Alaska vacation. The only time I can see a use for an umbrella is if you are in formal clothing, with your hair all done up and you need to keep your hair dry as you move from house to car, etc.

another resounding NO!!!!!! The ports are too busy... too crowded... and people are not courteous with them....Living in Juneau if a trip to town was unavoidable during cruise ship days I dreaded it because I knew I would be run over more than once by someone with an umbrella... Rain won't make you melt... wear a raincoat!!!!

For those of you who say NO umbrella: What do you do about it being hot and steamy when you wear a raincoat? Maybe in AK it is always cool enough when it rains that hot and steamy are not a problem. We live in the Houston area and there is no way I could stand wearing a jacket during a summer rain. I can't remember the last time I saw someone in a raincoat.

Having said that - if I carried a raincoat along with me in case of rain, that is exactly what I would be doing most of the time - carrying it. I'd rather take along our umbrellas which are in cases that have two thin nylon straps so that we can wear them on our back - kinda like a backpack.

We are very careful to not interfer with others when we need to open our umbrellas - sometimes holding our arms high with them to get over everyones head. When not in crowds (and we try to avoid crowds) umbrellas work well for us and don't bother anyone else.

Seriously - do want advice on how to avoid hot and steamy in a rain poncho or coat.

A lightweight rain jacket is better than a rain "coat" that might be too warm. You can always wear a fleece or something under it if it is cool. If it's too warm for my rain jacket, then it's warm enough that I'm not bothered by getting a little wet. A little rain won't kill you. Usually in the NW we don't get heavy downpours, it's more like constant drizzle. And "warm" here is a relative term. It's never 80F and raining. If it's warm (60F) and drizzly, I don't bother with a jacket at all. Sometimes it feels good to get a little wet. :cool:

Please leave the umbrellas in the lower 48 where they belong. They are useless and a public hazard. I have yet to meet a single person that exercised proper control over the things.

How exciting! Another 'hot' topic for cruisecritic. I feel confident I can keep a promise that we will not invade your space with our umbrellas. It is perfectly OK with us if other folks want to bring along their umbrellas - and equally OK if they want to leave them at home or in their cabin.

We don't care what anyone else chooses to wear on formal night. We won't be leaving towels on a lounge by the pool, and don't particularly care if others do, we don't cruise to lay in the sun. We are grateful that Princess took care of the one thing other passengers did that we objected to - forcing 2nd hand smoke on their neighbors from a balcony.

For those of you who say NO umbrella: What do you do about it being hot and steamy when you wear a raincoat? Maybe in AK it is always cool enough when it rains that hot and steamy are not a problem. We live in the Houston area and there is no way I could stand wearing a jacket during a summer rain. I can't remember the last time I saw someone in a raincoat.

Having said that - if I carried a raincoat along with me in case of rain, that is exactly what I would be doing most of the time - carrying it. I'd rather take along our umbrellas which are in cases that have two thin nylon straps so that we can wear them on our back - kinda like a backpack.

We are very careful to not interfer with others when we need to open our umbrellas - sometimes holding our arms high with them to get over everyones head. When not in crowds (and we try to avoid crowds) umbrellas work well for us and don't bother anyone else.

Seriously - do want advice on how to avoid hot and steamy in a rain poncho or coat.

1) Weather in Alaska is nowhere near the temps in Houston

2) Cruising in Alaska = crowds in ports anywhere near the ship and even not-so-near in places like Skagway, so no way to avoid that

3) As was stated, a lightweight rain "jacket" is better than a rain "coat."

4) carry a small day pack with you - can use it for the rain jacket, purchases, extra layers, snacks, etc. Try it, you'll like it :)

1) Weather in Alaska is nowhere near the temps in Houston

2) Cruising in Alaska = crowds in ports anywhere near the ship and even not-so-near in places like Skagway, so no way to avoid that

3) As was stated, a lightweight rain "jacket" is better than a rain "coat."

4) carry a small day pack with you - can use it for the rain jacket, purchases, extra layers, snacks, etc. Try it, you'll like it :)

Thank you frugaltravel for your response! We have actually been in the cruise ports several times. I don't remember opening our umbrellas while there - a slight drizzle is no problem and we have been fortunate to have decent weather most of our Alaska days. This summer will be our first to spend 2 weeks in Alaska doing a DIY driving tour, pre-cruise. We'll pack our umbrellas and lightweight rain jackets and leave one or the other (maybe both) in the car, the cabin or the backpack - depending on the temperature and surroundings. Escaping the Houston weather is part of what we love about Alaska. I would feel like I was in a steam bath wearing a rainjacket at 65 - 70 degrees. Many others likely tolerate higher temps than I can.

Glad you are taking a DIY land tour. They are almost always better than cruisetours.

If you are seriously interested in a rain jacket, there are some nice "breathable" ones that don't get you all hot and sweaty. Just depends on what one is most comfortable with. For me, umbrellas just don't work and neither do rain ponchos. Way too much wind much of the time. I still have a picture in my mind on the cruise ship of my sister trying to keep her rain poncho on while on the open area of the ship. I will personally take rain gear any day, both on and off the ship!

Thanks for all the replies. We have waterproof jackets , fleece pullovers for layering , smart wool socks, and a light backpack to hold them. Thinking I will leave the umbrella home. Most of these purchases have been the result of info on this board, thank everyone. Getting pumped to go.

ChelseaSailor

Archived