Voyager of the Seas Picture Review Singapore to Shanghai June 2012

Managed to find this thread! Thanks for the great review and will be useful in my planning for our similar cruise coming March 23rd.

Am from Singapore too!

Will post questions here instead of via email as the answers would be useful to other CC members :)

In your iti, you didn't post the daily scheduled times of arr/dep. so I couldn't really do a comparison. One major difference I did notice was that this year we have 2 days at sea after Vietnam and only arrive in HK in the morning (we do not have that extra night you had there).

Just some background for our upcoming trip. Will be travelling with my parents (just 3 of us) and unfortunately we were told that the only available cabins with 3-sharing was on Deck 2 (so we got the outside stateroom at that deck). My parents have been on the Legend of the Seas before visiting Korea/Japan ex Shanghai, but this will be my first time on a Royal Caribbean cruise.

My first questions would be -

1. Is it advisable to check in early on departure day (given that we do not get any priority) as I have read in some other posts (including your Dec cruise) that by the time you boarded it was rather late and had no trouble with queues.

2. I would like to try the specialty restaurants at least once and have read that there may not be enough seats for all to try during the cruise. Did you have to pre-book your Portifino meal seating and did you notice that it was full throughout the cruise? Also if it is just myself going for this meal, would it be a problem? (My mum doesn't fancy western meals and won't enjoy paying the extra for an Italian dinner).

3. I have been reading a lot of complaints about Noro, and noticed that there wasn't any mention of this in your review here (but there was an minor outbreak in your Dec cruise). Were there any cases on this cruise last year?

Will probably have more questions later and really appreciate any tips/advice you have to offer! Thanks in advance!:):):)

The cruise you are on is the Singapore to Shanghai re-positioning on the Voyager this year? I recall ours was an 8 night cruise in June 2011.

Responses to your questions:

1) Go early to beat the queues. The cruise ship won't be ready for boarding till 11:30am thereabouts. The new MBCC has plenty of seats to wait comfortably. So, once you check-in at the cruise terminal, just wait around. I recall they even brought Po the Panda out for passengers to take photos with. Once they allow you to board, go ahead and explore the ship when the crowds haven't really arrived. Also can have your lunch at the Windjammer cafe before the crowds arrive.

2) There is only 1 speciality restaurant onboard the Voyager, that is Portofino. Worth a try. I don't think they were very crowded during our sailing. Once you can get onboard, you can book with the restaurant. I suggest having it earlier rather than later. During our June cruise, we had it on the first night.

I don't think there is any problem being a solo eater, I saw a few. However, it would be more fun to bring your parents, assuming they like the type of food at Portofino. Cover charge is USD 20, at least in June 2011.

3) There was no Noro issue during the June cruise. That said, one should always maintain good hygiene everywhere, especially on cruise ship. Wash hands regularly, especially before you eat. Use the hand sanitizers before you eat. Best of all, don't use your hands to eat, though that is quite difficult if you are eating the very wonderful breads on board!

Yes, this is the same 8 night repositioning cruise :)

This is the sailing itinerary -

Day 1 23rd March Depart Singapore 5pm

Day 2 24th March Cruising

Day 3 25th March Arrive Phu My/Vietnam 7am, Depart 10pm

Day 4 26th March Cruising

Day 5 27th March Cruising

Day 6 28th March Arrive Hong Kong 7am, Depart 6pm

Day 7 29th March Arrive Xiamen 12pm, Depart 7pm

Day 8 30th March Cruising

Day 9 31st March Arrive Baoshan (Shanghai)/China 6am

The key difference is on Day 5, I notice that you arrive in Hong Kong (tendered) in the afternoon and had the opportunity to spend 1 extra overnight there.

The timings for the rest seem ok, except at Xiamen. The time at port seems rather short and am not sure if it is worth taking the tour or just getting off on our own and take a cab into the city for some shopping. As for Vietnam, I am waiting for the Roll Call to fill (not so many have responded yet) to see if any would be interested in booking a private van into the city as what you did last year (seems to be a better choice given the speed/comfort of a private van).

Thanks again for your answers earlier. I will try to get my parents to try Portifinos too! If she doesn't like the food, both Dad and myself can help ourselves to her portion I guess? lol. And she can still get some food elsewhere.

Is the Jade Asian place a proper restaurant or is it part of WJ?

RE your recommendation about boarding early, I was wondering if there is any differentiation in boarding times based on our cabins. In your Dec cruise, I noticed Deck 2-3 (where we are located) was assigned the last boarding time in Sydney. Do you remember that happening in Singapore too? And if they did, will they still allow us to board early to enjoy the facilities like having that famous new beef sandwich that I am reading about? :)

Hi everybody,

My family just returned from the Voyager. My earlier attempt at a review turned out to be a failure.

Let me try again.

Here is the Voyager dwarfing the new Singapore international cruise terminal at Marina South. Hopefully the Oasis or Allure comes by some time in the future!

2wg7us8.jpg

We arrived at 11am thereabouts and the check-in line was very short for Platinum and above C&A. Boarding time was 1130am. There is a nice big waiting area.

z47bq.jpg

210yuec.jpg

iyzdco.jpg

I haven't sailed out of this terminal before! Are there any shops/cafes there to kill time while waiting? :)

Thanks again for your answers earlier. I will try to get my parents to try Portifinos too! If she doesn't like the food, both Dad and myself can help ourselves to her portion I guess? lol. And she can still get some food elsewhere.

Is the Jade Asian place a proper restaurant or is it part of WJ?

RE your recommendation about boarding early, I was wondering if there is any differentiation in boarding times based on our cabins. In your Dec cruise, I noticed Deck 2-3 (where we are located) was assigned the last boarding time in Sydney. Do you remember that happening in Singapore too? And if they did, will they still allow us to board early to enjoy the facilities like having that famous new beef sandwich that I am reading about? :)

I don't remember there being such a sign in June 12.

You must understand that the Sydney OPT is very small. There are hardly any waiting areas. Therefore they need to stagger the boarding times otherwise there would be severe overcrowding at the terminal.

I don't think you would face such issues at the Marina Bay cruise terminal though I read that the terminal does get crowded when there are two big ships embarking at the same time.

Yes, try Portofino. They are removing Portofino from the fleet.

My wife and I had it twice. We will take a seafood skewer and the beef filet. They even allowed us to order a 3rd main (pasta) to share. The desserts are also fantastic; don't miss the tiramisu if you are a tiramisu fan.

Even the bread is nice. Don't load up on the bread as it would make you too full for the main course.

On certain sailings, sometimes they run promotions to get people to eat at Portofino. We had that for our Brilliance cruise in Dec 2011 where they gave us free champagne. But there were no promotions on the Voyager.

I assume you are not Platinum and above on Crown and Anchor because there is a complimentary speciality coffee coupon with any speciality dining meal.

Yes, try Portofino. They are removing Portofino from the fleet.

My wife and I had it twice. We will take a seafood skewer and the beef filet. They even allowed us to order a 3rd main (pasta) to share. The desserts are also fantastic; don't miss the tiramisu if you are a tiramisu fan.

Even the bread is nice. Don't load up on the bread as it would make you too full for the main course.

On certain sailings, sometimes they run promotions to get people to eat at Portofino. We had that for our Brilliance cruise in Dec 2011 where they gave us free champagne. But there were no promotions on the Voyager.

I assume you are not Platinum and above on Crown and Anchor because there is a complimentary speciality coffee coupon with any speciality dining meal.

Am looking forward to that! I love Italian food :)

As this is my first RCI cruise, I am probably at Wooden Status (0 points to get anything metallic and above) and qualify for nothing :(

As this is my first RCI cruise, I am probably at Wooden Status (0 points to get anything metallic and above) and qualify for nothing :(

You mentioned your mother (or parents?) have cruised with Royal Caribbean before.

Did they apply for the complimentary Crown & Anchor membership? They need to have completed one cruise to get to the Gold tier.

At least for Gold tier, they get an invite to the welcome back party.

This is Portofino's most famous dish.

Try it before it is gone.

20jfzh1.jpg

This photo was from the Brilliance.

You mentioned your mother (or parents?) have cruised with Royal Caribbean before.

Did they apply for the complimentary Crown & Anchor membership? They need to have completed one cruise to get to the Gold tier.

At least for Gold tier, they get an invite to the welcome back party.

My dad has the membership! Shall ask him about it :)

I don't remember there being such a sign in June 12.

You must understand that the Sydney OPT is very small. There are hardly any waiting areas. Therefore they need to stagger the boarding times otherwise there would be severe overcrowding at the terminal.

I don't think you would face such issues at the Marina Bay cruise terminal though I read that the terminal does get crowded when there are two big ships embarking at the same time.

I checked the terminal schedule last night. There will be 2 departures on the 23rd March and at the same time! Apparently Legend of the Seas will be arriving and departing too! I wonder if both ships will actually be sailing off simultaneously.

I checked the terminal schedule last night. There will be 2 departures on the 23rd March and at the same time! Apparently Legend of the Seas will be arriving and departing too! I wonder if both ships will actually be sailing off simultaneously.

Your cruise documents should indicate your boarding time. What does it say?

Hahah I will be disembarking from the Legend that morning.

My dad has the membership! Shall ask him about it :)

If he hasn't done so, he should link your upcoming cruise to the C&A membership number. This is usually done at time of booking. Otherwise can just email royal Caribbean Singapore office and they can do it for you. Do double check your cruise documentation for the correct name and passport number. We have had mistakes which ought to be rectified before you sail.

If he hasn't done so, he should link your upcoming cruise to the C&A membership number. This is usually done at time of booking. Otherwise can just email royal Caribbean Singapore office and they can do it for you. Do double check your cruise documentation for the correct name and passport number. We have had mistakes which ought to be rectified before you sail.

I did the online check-in thing and indicated his C&A number. Is that enough or is there another step needed? :)

Hahah I will be disembarking from the Legend that morning.

And I'll be disembarking the Voyager ;). It sounds like the cruise terminal will be put through a real test with two ships turning around at the same time. Would this be a first? I believe two ships have been in port previously but one was simply in Singapore as a port of call.

I wonder how the RCI arranged tours (hotel/airport transfers, etc) will operate with two ships - two seperate services? Will there be any taxi's and buses left with all those passengers? ;)

And I'll be disembarking the Voyager ;). It sounds like the cruise terminal will be put through a real test with two ships turning around at the same time. Would this be a first? I believe two ships have been in port previously but one was simply in Singapore as a port of call.

I wonder how the RCI arranged tours (hotel/airport transfers, etc) will operate with two ships - two seperate services? Will there be any taxi's and buses left with all those passengers? ;)

We'll see what happens!

Welcome to Singapore!!

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Getting closer to our cruise dates!

Just a couple of quick questions - 1) is the DreamWorks breakfast thing only for families with children? and 2) can we order multiple appetizers/entrees/desserts at the MDR for the 3 meals? (I saw some saying they could order all they like on the Allure)

If so, I think I am going to get so much fatter! :)