Purchasing Wine - EWR to Terminal direct??

Dave&Robin

Hi,

We are flying into Newark, NJ on the day of our cruise (Celebrity Summit) and getting the cruise transfers to the pier. Does anyone know if there will be an opportunity to purchase our two bottles of wine along the way (for instance is it possible to purchase them at the airport before we get on the transfer?) or are we out of luck?

Thanks, Robin

You're taking cruise line transfers? nope.

if you were in a private vehicle, there is a liquor store in the South Cove plaza adjacent to the pier..it's very close, but not walkable....

otherwise, you will not be able to purchase wine prior to boarding

I wondered the same for my upcoming Celebrity Bermuda cruise and learned there is a wine bar in Newark's Terminal C called Vino Volo that sells wine by the bottle as well as the glass. I plan to make a quick pitstop there on my way to baggage claim. :)

I wondered the same for my upcoming Celebrity Bermuda cruise and learned there is a wine bar in Newark's Terminal C called Vino Volo that sells wine by the bottle as well as the glass. I plan to make a quick pitstop there on my way to baggage claim. :)

interesting...

of course, that depends on whether or not they open early...the one i saw in Phila didn't open that early....

BUT if they do, not bad (though i am thinking the wine sin't exactly cheap)

and of course that will only work if you're landing at Terminal C. they're not connected air side (except possibly if you're changing aircraft...) just things to keep in mind....i go to EWR often, just not usually to fly...(sometimes i hit one of the pre security food courts if i am up there, and if i am bored..don't ask..i love airports..):o:D

We have not yet purchased transfers for our cruise. Any recommendation on how best to get from the Newark airport to Cape Liberty with a stop for wine? Any store that takes phone orders?

Thank you for any help.

Diane

Don't know about taking orders, but we use a car service and have them stop on the way to purchase wine. Can't tell you the name, but it is near the cruise port and there is a gas station beside it. There isn't much else around there. When I have more time, I'll try and get the name for you.

Sheila.

Hello,

Counting down to my first cruise still. Just wondering about purchasing wine ahead of the cruise. We will be flying into EWR the morning of our cruise and could stop to pick up wine but what happens then?

Are these discussions about bringing wine then on the ship? Does the ship not hold it for you or can you consume your own wine onboard.

Details are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Counting down to my first cruise still. Just wondering about purchasing wine ahead of the cruise. We will be flying into EWR the morning of our cruise and could stop to pick up wine but what happens then?

Are these discussions about bringing wine then on the ship? Does the ship not hold it for you or can you consume your own wine onboard.

Details are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The policy for bringing wine on board differs by cruise line. As far as I can recall (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) Royal Caribbean does not permit wine to be brought on board at embarkation and will seize it (and not return it to you). Celebrity allows two bottles of wine per stateroom to be brought on board at embarkation.

The policy for bringing wine on board differs by cruise line. As far as I can recall (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) Royal Caribbean does not permit wine to be brought on board at embarkation and will seize it (and not return it to you). Celebrity allows two bottles of wine per stateroom to be brought on board at embarkation.

that is correct..

there is a liquor store in the south cove plaza adjacent to the pier...not sure how early they open though...wine cannot be purchased in supermarkets in NJ....only in liquor stores..

Yes....Celebrity allows 2 bottles (any size) per stateroom. If you drink them in your cabin, there is no further charge, but if you take them to the dining room there is a $25 corkage fee per bottle. Once opened, the bottle is stored for you in the dining room until the next evening should you wish.

Royal.....not a drop can you carry on, but their wine for purchase on board is less expensive than Celebrity. On one of our cruises Jackie had a little airplane size bottle in her checked luggage and she was called to the 'naughty room'. Mine was in my carry-on, and made it through. We were not really trying to smuggle (not us, boy!)....they were leftover bottles from a little 6 pack we had bought for the hotel the night before.

BTW....the name of the wine store that we use is Bridgeview. (Am I allowed to say that?)

Sheila.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. So my hubby just wants to clarify on RCI we cannot bring any wine but are still allowed water right? I'm pretty sure the rules and regs say no alcohol but is our own water okay?

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. So my hubby just wants to clarify on RCI we cannot bring any wine but are still allowed water right? I'm pretty sure the rules and regs say no alcohol but is our own water okay?

Per this FAQ, it doesn't appear as if you are allowed to bring water aboard either, but perhaps someone who has sailed on Royal Caribbean recently can verify if I'm interpreting it correctly:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqType=faq

Onboard Policies

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use.

For the EX they enforce the alcohol policy, but folks regularly report that they slap a luggage tag on a case of water or soda and it gets delivered to their cabin. I've had no problem taking soda on board in my luggage.

Hi,

We are flying into Newark, NJ on the day of our cruise (Celebrity Summit) and getting the cruise transfers to the pier. Does anyone know if there will be an opportunity to purchase our two bottles of wine along the way (for instance is it possible to purchase them at the airport before we get on the transfer?) or are we out of luck?

Thanks, Robin

Why not purchase your wine at the airport Duty Free before your flight to EWR? Are you flying nonstop YYZ-EWR? If so, they'll let you bring wine bottles bought post-security onto the plane as carry-on.

Why not purchase your wine at the airport Duty Free before your flight to EWR? Are you flying nonstop YYZ-EWR? If so, they'll let you bring wine bottles bought post-security onto the plane as carry-on.

I did think of that....our flight leaves early (around 7:30am) do you think the duty free shops will be open that early?? That would be the perfect solution.

Robin

Yes, that's a great idea, but the selection is not that good. Also, they don't have 1.5 liter bottles. We always take that size....the corkage costs the same as a 750 ml. If, however, you're taking the wine to drink in the cabin, it makes sense.

Sheila.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived