Changes to pre-paid gratuities for junior suites??

I agree extra tips should not be charged on accessible cabins...if they can get away with doing it on JS's...do you honestly think the lower categories won't be next? I have a SIL who is confined to a wheelchair...she doesn't book the AW cabins just to have the extra room...she books them because she HAS to!

OP should be happy to get that size room for only an increase in tips for the stateroom attendant.

Huh? The OP should be "happy" that in order to get an accessible cabin that they REQUIRE in a certain category, they have to pay extra gratuities that those that dont require accessible in the SAME cabin category dont have to pay?

That is some warped logic if I have ever seen it and yes, it most certainly IS screaming of discrimination! :eek:

Well put. This has nothing to do with discrimination. This has to do with the same thing as most of the threads around here. People want something for nothing, and if they don't get it served up on a silver platter, they're going to whine about it. I don't remember being "drafted" onto a cruise. Don't like the terms? Don't go....

I just went back and re read this thread and I have yet to find someone participating in it that "wants something for nothing" :confused:

So if I dont like the idea of having to pay extra gratuities for my accessible JS that you dont have to pay in your non accessible JS, I just shouldnt go on the cruise?

Sorry, I dont understand your way of thinking.

I just went back and re read this thread and I have yet to find someone participating in it that "wants something for nothing" :confused:

So if I dont like the idea of having to pay extra gratuities for my accessible JS that you dont have to pay in your non accessible JS, I just shouldnt go on the cruise?

Sorry, I dont understand your way of thinking.

No. I'm still railing in response to the person who said this would "strain a vacation budget". If that's really the case, then they need to re-think their money management strategy.

But, cruising (or more appropriately, these boards) seem to have a fairly high concentration of people constantly obsessing over every nickel and dime.

I guess the two together just reached my limit.

I guess I have to wonder though - what about the cabin attendent that is cleaning a much larger cabin but not getting the tip level for it? Yes I understand that many people tip extra, but I am guessing that many also do not.

Don't forget that while you are only in that cabin for one week, the cabin attendant is cleaning it every single week. I can certainly see his position in feeling that he is being underpaid. This has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it is an accessible cabin - simply that it is much larger. It must take him longer to clean, and involves more effort on his part.

I am not sure how this dilema could be solved to the satisfaction of all parties.

No. I'm still railing in response to the person who said this would "strain a vacation budget". If that's really the case, then they need to re-think their money management strategy.

I have to agree with you there. If the extra 70.00 strains the budget that bad, a cruise might need to be the last thing someone thinks about.

I guess I have to wonder though - what about the cabin attendent that is cleaning a much larger cabin but not getting the tip level for it? Yes I understand that many people tip extra, but I am guessing that many also do not.

Don't forget that while you are only in that cabin for one week, the cabin attendant is cleaning it every single week. I can certainly see his position in feeling that he is being underpaid. This has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it is an accessible cabin - simply that it is much larger. It must take him longer to clean, and involves more effort on his part.

I am not sure how this dilema could be solved to the satisfaction of all parties.

Which is the reason I try to be as "tidy" as I can be. :) My cabin attendants have it pretty easy. All they have to do is make the beds and put in fresh towels really. I really have no idea to what extent they actually "clean" during the week but I try not to put any more on them than someone in a regular cabin would even though I have the bigger cabin.

I have passed by some cabins that are not accessible and have literally :eek: at the mess I have seen. I feel for those attendants. Some people are just slobs and while it may be an assumption, Im willing to bet they dont tip extra either.

I have to agree with you there. If the extra 70.00 strains the budget that bad, a cruise might need to be the last thing someone thinks about.

Maybe 10 cruises are planned thats $700 then. Good tip, don't try and count other folks money!

Maybe 10 cruises are planned thats $700 then. Good tip, don't try and count other folks money!

I am not trying to count other folks money.

Why did you single me out for anyway? I was not the one that made the statement about the budget. I was just agreeing with the statement that was made.

FWIW though, for anyone that is fortunate enough to have 10 cruises booked, I HIGHLY doubt 700.00 is a budget buster.

Huh? The OP should be "happy" that in order to get an accessible cabin that they REQUIRE in a certain category, they have to pay extra gratuities that those that dont require accessible in the SAME cabin category dont have to pay?

That is some warped logic if I have ever seen it and yes, it most certainly IS screaming of discrimination! :eek:

I'm saying due to the size it could be recategorized and there will be even fewer affordable accessible cabins. It really is much larger for the money. Some might say everyone else is being discriminated against by getting less room for the same money.

Also we don't even know that it's even true that tips are increased for this room.

People who require accessibility in no way require a JS. If full disclosure about the increased tips is made prior to reservation based on extra room size I don't see it as discrimination. The room is different and it IS categorized differently as can now be seen by the room code - AW. But to change the tip amount AFTER it has been booked is wrong. Again, we don't really know if this is true. You would be the perfect person to check into this for us.

Which is the reason I try to be as "tidy" as I can be. :) My cabin attendants have it pretty easy. All they have to do is make the beds and put in fresh towels really. I really have no idea to what extent they actually "clean" during the week but I try not to put any more on them than someone in a regular cabin would even though I have the bigger cabin.

I have passed by some cabins that are not accessible and have literally :eek: at the mess I have seen. I feel for those attendants. Some people are just slobs and while it may be an assumption, Im willing to bet they dont tip extra either.

My attendants have it easy when I'm in a GS, too. The beds and towels are the same in all 2 person rooms no matter the category. But they have to vacuum a larger room and mop and clean more counters and floors in bathrooms of larger rooms.

Attendants don't straighten out junk. It's all about square footage. I wonder if some stateroom attendants believe they are being discriminated against financially when they are assigned to the AW and don't get the tips of a GS which is of similar size.

Does any ship have accessible full suites?

I believe the two Oasis class ships have one accessible Crown Loft Suite each.

That is the only accessible full suites I know of fleet wide.

I'm saying due to the size it could be recategorized and there will be even fewer affordable accessible cabins. It really is much larger for the money. Some might say everyone else is being discriminated against by getting less room for the same money.

People who require accessibility in no way require a JS. If full disclosure about the increased tips is made prior to reservation based on extra room size I don't see it as discrimination. The room is different and it IS categorized differently as can now be seen by the room code - AW. But to change the tip amount AFTER it has been booked is wrong. Again, we don't really know if this is true. You would be the perfect person to check into this for us.

My attendants have it easy when I'm in a GS, too. The beds and towels are the same in all 2 person rooms no matter the category. But they have to vacuum a larger room and mop and clean more counters and floors in bathrooms of larger rooms.

Attendants don't straighten out junk. It's all about square footage. I wonder if some stateroom attendants believe they are being discriminated against financially when they are assigned to the AW and don't get the tips of a GS which is of similar size.

I wish there was a "like" button. You make a lot of good points. Thank you.

I am not trying to count other folks money.

Why did you single me out for anyway? I was not the one that made the statement about the budget. I was just agreeing with the statement that was made. Sorry I should of quoted macruisefan.

FWIW though, for anyone that is fortunate enough to have 10 cruises booked, I HIGHLY doubt 700.00 is a budget buster.

That I will disagree, with we don't even go out to dinner because it would cut into our cruising budget!

That I will disagree, with we don't even go out to dinner because it would cut into our cruising budget!

I'm sorry, but this is getting a little bit ridiculous. And, I'm willing to bet I can call you on it. How many of you are going on these ten planned cruises? I'm guessing it's two of you in your cabin. So, we're not even talking about $700, we're talking about $350 spread out over TEN CRUISES.

You're taking TEN CRUISES!!! If $350 is unmanageable, cut it back to NINE CRUISES. Seriously, we have officially past the point of utterly absurd that you are trying to make anyone think it's a burden for you and your TEN CRUISES.:eek:

I bet you are the first person to complain when prices on the things you buy goes up. Did they say 70.00 was going to make them homeless or have their electric turned off? NO! Sensible people have a budget for a vacation and they don't want to spend any more or any less. It could be 100's or it could be 1000's. What makes you so important to rip into someone for THEIR money and THEIR budget?

I don't care who you are or what you make, everyone should care about an extra 70.00.

We booked Radiance of the Seas in January for travel in November and our fares included pre-paid gratuities. We booked an accessible JS as DH is in a wheelchair and we also have 2 kids so a JS is the best cabin type to fit us all.

I've had an email from our TA to say that RCCL have recently decided that accessible JS will now be classed as suites (Category AW) and as a result of this re-categorisation, prepaid gratuities have increased to the same as a suite - however we will not be entitled to all the amenities that suite guests receive. Does this sound right??

I dont mind paying the additional amount but it seems strange to have to pay gratuities for Suite Services that we wont be receiving? Can anyone clarify?

Thanks!

For the record, I'll repeat the OP's post. Highlighted in red is the point. It was booked with prepaid gratuities which means RCI can not change the price now. If it is on the confirmation at the time of booking, the gratuities can not be raised.

Yes an AW is categorized as a suite. So is a JS. That is for booking purposes. That is not for gratuities or amenities. If the OP's travel agent has told them the gratuities have been raised, I believe the TA is wrong.

But considering there are no full suites on any but the high priced monster ships for those in need of accessible cabins, it just might make good sense to reclassify these larger accessible JS as GS. It would increase revenue and allow those in need of these cabins who are of substantial financial means to have a way to obtain the full suite benefits that the rest of us have booking access to. :eek: Maybe it's discrimination to NOT have these sort of cabins available to those would like to have them - full suites - if we want to start throwing around the word discrimination when things aren't quite the way we think they should be. :rolleyes:

Gina

I'm sorry, but this is getting a little bit ridiculous. And, I'm willing to bet I can call you on it. How many of you are going on these ten planned cruises? I'm guessing it's two of you in your cabin. So, we're not even talking about $700, we're talking about $350 spread out over TEN CRUISES.

You're taking TEN CRUISES!!! If $350 is unmanageable, cut it back to NINE CRUISES. Seriously, we have officially past the point of utterly absurd that you are trying to make anyone think it's a burden for you and your TEN CRUISES.:eek:

FYI I was not serious it was a joke.

I bet you are the first person to complain when prices on the things you buy goes up. Did they say 70.00 was going to make them homeless or have their electric turned off? NO! Sensible people have a budget for a vacation and they don't want to spend any more or any less. It could be 100's or it could be 1000's. What makes you so important to rip into someone for THEIR money and THEIR budget?

I don't care who you are or what you make, everyone should care about an extra 70.00.

First, try switching to decaf.

Second, you are correct, no one said anything ridiculous like that about the $70.00.

BUT.... someone did say it would $70.00 would "strain" their vacation budget. I'm having a little trouble with this because they were talking about booking a cruise for four in a junior suite. So, we're talking roughly about a total cost for the cruise of maybe $4000 to $7000, depending on the ship and the date. I'm really having trouble believing that someone would say "I'm okay with spending $5,250 for the four of us to go on vacation, but $5,320? Well that's going to STRAIN MY VACATION BUDGET".

You can argue "principles" all you want, but I'm looking at the big picture and calling BS.

$2.50 per person per day is NOT going to strain the budget of ANYONE taking a cruise in a junior suite. If it is, they shouldn't be on the boat! Period.

First, try switching to decaf.

Second, you are correct, no one said anything ridiculous like that about the $70.00.

BUT.... someone did say it would $70.00 would "strain" their vacation budget. I'm having a little trouble with this because they were talking about booking a cruise for four in a junior suite. So, we're talking roughly about a total cost for the cruise of maybe $4000 to $7000, depending on the ship and the date. I'm really having trouble believing that someone would say "I'm okay with spending $5,250 for the four of us to go on vacation, but $5,320? Well that's going to STRAIN MY VACATION BUDGET".

You can argue "principles" all you want, but I'm looking at the big picture and calling BS.

$2.50 per person per day is NOT going to strain the budget of ANYONE taking a cruise in a junior suite. If it is, they shouldn't be on the boat! Period.

I agree with you.

Gina

Archived