Cruising is like putting a vacation on layaway

http://travelkit.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/28/12464542-vacation-layaways-one-more-way-to-pay-for-your-trip?lite

I am suprised that cruising didn't get mentioned as one of the vacations that people can put on laway. Pay for it over time. Actually cruising is even better, you only have to have the trip paid in full 75 days out.

I agree, we call it layby over here in Australia.:)

I think the best way to ensure you go on a cruise is to book it when you don't have the funds, then that makes you find them!

Saving first before you book never works for me, I always find the money gets used for other things, but once I commit by booking & paying the deposit then I'm focussed!:D

I agree, we call it layby over here in Australia.:)

I think the best way to ensure you go on a cruise is to book it when you don't have the funds, then that makes you find them!

Saving first before you book never works for me, I always find the money gets used for other things, but once I commit by booking & paying the deposit then I'm focussed!:D

Hi Avalon007

I agree with you ,pay it off , we have just paid our cruise off, Honolulu to Sydney 19 day cruise on the Rhapsody of the Seas on 25th Sept ;);) We book it in April.:):)

Others will say keep your money but I agree with you it is like a layaway vacation. Our November trip has been paid in full for quite awhile and this month I am paying the remaining due on the next one April 2013.

Interest I would earn on that money is minimal

I never thought of it like that!

So it is nice to plan to get everything lined up in advance. I'm one who makes my final payment shortly before the final payment date. It goes on the credit card and gets paid at the end of the month.

Actually cruising is even better, you only have to have the trip paid in full 75 days out.

It's amazing to me that people actually look at this as a BENEFIT! Virtually any land based vacation only requires a deposit, and then you pay the balance at the END. Somehow cruise lines get to demand the money up front, and people think it's a good thing that you have to pay for it two-and-a-half months before you travel.

Totally backwards...:cool:

It's amazing to me that people actually look at this as a BENEFIT! Virtually any land based vacation only requires a deposit, and then you pay the balance at the END. Somehow cruise lines get to demand the money up front, and people think it's a good thing that you have to pay for it two-and-a-half months before you travel.

Totally backwards...:cool:

There is a difference between land based vacations, and cruise vacations in my opinion. Cruise lines unlike booking a beach condo or even Disney, have to budget and plan for things like food, entertainment, and other things. Everything is inclusive, except of course alcohol. They even need to have an understanding of how much alcohol will need to be ordered.

By land based, I am assuming you mean a beach condo. A week stay at for example, Myrtle Beach, is going to be cheaper on average than a seven day cruise or even a 3/4 day cruise. However, for those who love cruising, the ability to book and pay over time is a great thing. The all inclusive factor, makes cruising a great family vacation.

Cruising is not cheap. Most people don't have 4-7 thousand hanging around, but they are lucky enough to be in the position to save up for their cruise that falls within that price range.

Two months out is not a huge deal. I understand that people may lose money with the cruise lines way of doing things, if plans change.

I understand that another day that your money sits in your bank account and not in the cruise lines bank account is financially better, but I still disagree and believe that ability to pay on a great vacation over time is a good thing.

There is a difference between land based vacations, and cruise vacations in my opinion. Cruise lines unlike booking a beach condo or even Disney, have to budget and plan for things like food, entertainment, and other things. Everything is inclusive, except of course alcohol. They even need to have an understanding of how much alcohol will need to be ordered.

By land based, I am assuming you mean a beach condo. A week stay at for example, Myrtle Beach, is going to be cheaper on average than a seven day cruise or even a 3/4 day cruise. However, for those who love cruising, the ability to book and pay over time is a great thing. The all inclusive factor, makes cruising a great family vacation.

Cruising is not cheap. Most people don't have 4-7 thousand hanging around, but they are lucky enough to be in the position to save up for their cruise that falls within that price range.

Two months out is not a huge deal. I understand that people may lose money with the cruise lines way of doing things, if plans change.

I understand that another day that your money sits in your bank account and not in the cruise lines bank account is financially better, but I still disagree and believe that ability to pay on a great vacation over time is a good thing.

I agree. I know in the end it is the same amount of money but it is easier for us to put a couple of hundared amonth on our credit card (which gets paid in full leach month) then plunk down $2000 at one time.

Cruise lines unlike booking a beach condo or even Disney, have to budget and plan for things like food, entertainment, and other things. Everything is inclusive, except of course alcohol. They even need to have an understanding of how much alcohol will need to be ordered.

Nah, that's just what they want you to think. They can figure that out pretty easily based on the averages. The reality is they get away with the up front payment because that's the way it's always been.

If that works for someone, fine, so be it. But it's not a BENEFIT that they demand it from everyone. There isn't a land-based vacation that wouldn't welcome you to do the same thing. Plan a trip somewhere, and they will gladly let you pays as much in advance as you want.

The difference is the insane cancellation policies for the cruise. 75 days out and you still get a several hundred dollar per person penalty if you cancel? They've got quite a racket going, and we all accept it.

Archived