Transportation to Denali from Rail Station?

GrandCanyon2005

We are planning on booking our own rail to Denali to ensure that we get the kind of reserved seats we want and to potentially save money.

1. How would we get to the Princess Lodge in Denali from the rail station there?

2. If we book the Princess Lodge ourselves (not as a cruisetour) would we still get a pretty good view OR do they reserve their rooms with the best views for those that do the cruisetour?

3. Would we save money to do several things ourselves and provide a little freedom, or do the cruisetours usually provide discounted travel/lodging?

There is no logic pattern to how the rooms at the Princess Lodge are given out. Generally if you telephone up there and talk to the reservations people they will give you some ideas. Calls to Alaska are free on most cell phone plans.

The cruise lines have their own cars on the Alaska Railroad. I have found that seating in the regular cars is not as nice but is fine with us.

Call Alaska Railroad as well.

Well, I tried something novel, I went to their website and found this:

The lodge is just two hours south of Fairbanks, or four and a half hours north of Anchorage, by automobile. The lodge may also be accessed by the Alaska Railroad. Free transfers are available from the Denali Train Depot to the lodge.

Btw, there is also the McKinley Princess lodge, which has a shuttle from Talkeetna, just for general info.

We are planning on booking our own rail to Denali to ensure that we get the kind of reserved seats we want and to potentially save money.

1. How would we get to the Princess Lodge in Denali from the rail station there?

2. If we book the Princess Lodge ourselves (not as a cruisetour) would we still get a pretty good view OR do they reserve their rooms with the best views for those that do the cruisetour?

3. Would we save money to do several things ourselves and provide a little freedom, or do the cruisetours usually provide discounted travel/lodging?

There is no urgency to get either rail service on the Alaska RR, sometimes even available walk up. IF you are using toursaver, you do need to book ahead.

There is little "view" at the Denali Princess, you are in a multi busy lodging area. Your "views" aren't from here. :)

The better way to go independent is to have a car. A BIG advantage in Denali with significant time savings. There is no advantage to using the railroad, scenery wise, just about parallels the Parks Highway.

From the Denali Princess website: " We also provide shuttle service hourly from 7 am to 7 pm between the lodge and the Denali National Park Visitors Center, the Wilderness Access Center and Horseshoe Lake for $10 roundtrip per person. After a day of adventure, return to your cozy wilderness lodge for some peaceful Alaska sleep. " I think the shuttle used to be free but it seems there is a charge now.

Well the buses to the McKinley chalets were free and since HAL and Princess are both owned by the same company now, it seems cheap that they would charge for a shuttle to the one resort and not the other. . .

Well the buses to the McKinley chalets were free and since HAL and Princess are both owned by the same company now, it seems cheap that they would charge for a shuttle to the one resort and not the other. . .

I agree with you. It seems like an awful lot.

The coupon books offer half price at the princess lodges and on the trains and are worthwhile but require booking ahead. You will have to work out what your preferences are but (through research only so far) I have been able to do the same thing as a cruise-tour for half the price of the tour part.

If there are restaurants close by the hotels you choose you don't have to eat at the hotels which people say can be really expensive. But I realize that some people are not concerned about the cost.

Well, I tried something novel, I went to their website and found this:

The lodge is just two hours south of Fairbanks, or four and a half hours north of Anchorage, by automobile. The lodge may also be accessed by the Alaska Railroad. Free transfers are available from the Denali Train Depot to the lodge.

Btw, there is also the McKinley Princess lodge, which has a shuttle from Talkeetna, just for general info.

From the Denali Princess website: " We also provide shuttle service hourly from 7 am to 7 pm between the lodge and the Denali National Park Visitors Center, the Wilderness Access Center and Horseshoe Lake for $10 roundtrip per person. After a day of adventure, return to your cozy wilderness lodge for some peaceful Alaska sleep. " I think the shuttle used to be free but it seems there is a charge now.

How about both reading the info that you posted?!? How novel :D

Transport to/from the train is free. Transport to/from other areas of the park entrance are $10 round trip.

Archived