Hotels in Pirqeus Athens

helpme

It's not near the port. We had to take a taxi. The only hotel I have stayed at in Athens is The Hotel Grand Bretagne. It's one of those grand old hotels with lovely rooms. Breakfast buffet was included. It was one of the better buffet breakfasts I have had and is on the Roof Garden with outstanding views of the Acropolis and Parthenon. It is near Constitution Square and the Parliment.

I would suggest staying in Athens rather than Pireaus.

Hotel Grand Bretagne is a good choice given the location near the Platka. Have a nice dinner and enjoy the Acropolis all lit up at night then taxi to the ship in the morning.

HelpMe,

I agree with all postings - stay in Athens, near the Plaka. That way you can enjoy the evening before the cruise walking around the old town (Plaka) with a short walk to and from your hotel. Also the views of the Acropolis are wonderful from most hotels in this part of town.

For a less expensive option to Grand Bretagne, I would look into the Electra Palace Hotel, it's a little more "boutique" rather than "Grand", but their rooms (get an Acropolis view room) and suites are roomy and nice - and their service can not be beat. (Check out Trip Advisor)

The next day, you can get a taxi to Piraeus - probably 45 min to an hour, depending on traffic.

By the way, which cruise are you on?

Jen

We stayed in the Electra Palace Hotel last year after our Turkey/Greece cruise. It's on a quiet little side street in the Plaka and is very nice. In my researching it was one of the three luxury hotels mentioned along with the Grande Bretagne and King George.

One nice thing is that it is not next to Syntagma Square. I say this is a good thing because when we were visiting there were protests every day in the Square which could cause some problems with leaving the hotels around the square.

If you stay in the Electra Palace you should go to the rooftop dining room/lounge and have drinks and stare at the Acropolis.

We stayed at the Athens Gate hotel. Very reasonably priced, decent rooms, nice rooftop restaurant with views of the Acropolis, close to the sites, to Syntagma Square and to the Plaka.

Gets 4.7 out of 5 on Hotels dot com (202 reviews)

Can anyone recomend a hotel for the night before the cruise near the port are taxis easily availabe if not so close

We stayed at The Athens Gate Hotel on Syngrou avenue, a main street, but did not find it noisy---with great views of the Acropolis and The Temple of Olympian Zeus from their rooftop restaurant (which had very good food). You are only a few blocks from the Plaka and Acropolis, and within walking distance of the Parliament to see the changing of the guard. Rooms were modern, very clean, not very big but certainly comfortable. They also included a nice buffet breakfast. Price was also fairly reasonable

-Barry

HelpMe,

You can arrange a taxi in advance, probably about 60 Euros from the center of Athens to the Cruise Terminal at Piraeus. Don't bother with a bus unless your hotel concierge can add you on to a charter directly to Piraeus - a city bus is too much trouble with luggage and transfers.

Your other option would be the Metro, depending on the amount of luggage you have. There is a direct Metro from Monastiraki Station to Piraeus. Again, depending on luggage, you could walk the several blocks to Monastiraki station, take a 1 Euro Metro ride all the way to Piraeus, then walk or (less than) 5 minute taxi to Cruise Terminal.

You can also take the Metro from the airport directly to Syntagma Square (Plaka), I think it is 6 Euros from airport to the city. The Metro is clean and nice and well-marked (in English), also easy and cheap. Just beware of many stairs, escalators, etc. if you are carrying more than easily-managed luggage.

We will be in Athens Nov 2nd for embarcation on Seabourn Quest.

Jen

When we stayed at the GB in November, we were also hesitant regarding the demonstrations. Had the hotel book a cab for us from the airport and as a back up a private car in case of a strike by cab drivers. Fortunately, the taxi showed up and all was calm except for a demonstration in the square....couldn't hear from our room. Believe the cab was around US$35 and the private car would have been around US$100. Just took a cab to the port.

We were going to stay at a less expensive hotel; however, after reading Cruise Critic and some of the problems people had getting to the port, changed our plans since Seabourn has a bus that leaves from the hotel...that was our back up. You never know when things could "heat" up again.

HELPME,

GRAND BRETAGNE is an excellent hotel,close to everything and i mean close.

No problems.

SAIL SEVEN SEAS,are you doing other cruise lines or still with HOLLAND ?

JIM

Hi Jim,

We only sail HAL and have cruised with them a great many times.

My interest in Seabourn lately is because of the close association between Seabourn and HAL and the sharing of HAL offices.

We recently had a few lovely dinners with folks who will be involved with Seabourn so I enjoy reading this board.

Hope no one minds if I drop in from time to time though we are still 'all about HAL'. :)

Archived