Is it possible to see Mendenhall with our whale watching schedule?

Dams

We are in Juneau from 2.30 to 10pm, on Infinity (tendering). We have an Orca tour starting at 4.30pm. We are asked to checkin at 4pm for that. I think making Mendenhall before that is probably out of question, ESP if we are tendering. The Orca tour reportedly goes on till 8pm. Do we have enough time to make a quick Mendenhall trip after the Orca tour.

How do we do that? Do we rent a car in advance. We are a family of 5, so cost wise , renting a car is ok. But the dock rental closes at 8pm. Can we return the car like in mainland, dropping the keys in their keyslot and walk back to dock.

Or is it best to have the Orca people drop us at Mendenhall ? Then how do we get back quickly to port that late?

How far is the orca office located from the port? How far is the car rental? Which way are the whale watch route and Mendenhall to each other ?

I am trying to get an idea of the distances, directions, time involved to see if it is feasible at all?

Thanks

Our tour operator, Harv & Marv, stopped after our tour at Mendenhall. This was something we had to request, however. I don't remember the exact times of our tour, but we had enough time to take a 20 minute stop at the visitor center. This allowed us to walk around the area and view the glacier from a distance. Then they dropped us off back at the pier. I definitely don't think you will have enough time to walk to the falls or spend longer than 20-30 minutes if you are doing it after your tour.

I recommend asking Orca via email if this is a possibility. They understand tender times and all of the fine details that can make your trip go smoothly. Also, I'm almost sure they get requests to see Mendenhall on a regular basis. Hope this helps a little!

Here is another option - you could rent a car, drive out to Mendenhall immediately to visit the glacier. Then have Orca pick you up there for your whale watch (leaving your rental car in the parking area), and then have them drop you off at the glacier afterwards to continue sightseeing there or just to pick up your rental. You could then go to some other locations before returning to town - fish hatchery, Douglas Island, the Shrine of St. Theresa, Eagle Beach, etc.

We used Rent-A-Wreck last year (I understand they changed ownership this year), and were able to drop our car off after office hours, just dropping the keys in the slot of the door.

Here is another option - you could rent a car, drive out to Mendenhall immediately to visit the glacier. Then have Orca pick you up there for your whale watch (leaving your rental car in the parking area), and then have them drop you off at the glacier afterwards to continue sightseeing there or just to pick up your rental. You could then go to some other locations before returning to town - fish hatchery, Douglas Island, the Shrine of St. Theresa, Eagle Beach, etc.

We used Rent-A-Wreck last year (I understand they changed ownership this year), and were able to drop our car off after office hours, just dropping the keys in the slot of the door.

Why wouldn't they just drive to Auke Bay? This recommendation of having Orca Pick up at Mendenhall- wastes time they don't have. It is much simplier to just drive themselves back and forth to the whale watch.

With a car rental, you need to verify there is late drop off. And you accepting responsibility for the car until it is checked in the next day. (unless they are open late?)

As mentioned above, with the rental option. I would just drive myself direct to the whale watch. You would then have plenty of time prior to your whale watch, since it wouldn't start until close to 5pm.

An alternative suggestion is to get yourself off the ship as soon as it clears, and get right to the Mendenhall shuttle buses. Then take a CAB direct to your whale watch at Auke Bay. You MUST have the phone numbers and this arranged ahead of time. You need at least a 30 minute prior time arrangement for any cab pick up. Be certain to check in with Orca, probably can do this by phone IN ADVANCE, with full payment. Again, the whale watch isn't starting until close to 5pm. So plenty of time to at least walk the Nugget Falls trail.

Key with BOTH is to have this all prearranged with ORCA PRIOR to getting there.

Geez, BQ, lighten up:). I suggested Orca pick them up at Mendenhall to allow them longer at the glacier when they first get there - not knowing how long it will take them to tender, pick up the rental car, and then drive to Mendenhall. Orca would be going by there anyway to get to Auke Bay - why not pick them up? The drop off there afterwards to pick up their rental car would give them additional time at the glacier if they choose, then transportation back to town or other sites when they are ready to go.

Archived