Which hotel on Boston?

We will be flying into Boston at 9:00 A.M. on a Friday in early October and then cruising out the following evening. We can stay at either the Sheraton Boston (near Fenway Park) or the Westin Boston Waterfront on Starwood points. Which one should we choose...based on ease of safe/pleasant walking around the local area (with restaurants) and good transportation (from airport and to cruise port)? Of course, we want to be seeing some historical sights while we're there too.

You're not going to get both things from either hotel. The Sheraton wins on ambiance of the local area and the Westin wins on proximity to the airport and cruise port. The Sheraton is in Back Bay with lots of restaurants plus indoor malls at te Pru and Copley Place. You can catch the Hoho trolley or the Duck tour nearby. Green Line transportation is nearby. The Westin is just blocks from the pier and close to the Silver Line. There are good restaurants in the area, but it is primarily office buildings and a few hotels. Both areas are safe. For a free hotel I'd pick the Sheraton.

The Sheraton is very good for the Back Bay location. However, I was surprised in April to see how much growth there has been in the port area. While either is fine I would go with Back Bay just because we are more familair with that location.

If the weather is bad, you can wander forever through the Pru and Copley place and find restaurants, movies and shops. The port area has grown a lot in recent years and often the best hotel deals are there. But if the room is free, I'd go explore Back Bay.

Archived