Lack of Promenade Deck

stereo

I didn't have access to my pix when I posted above in this thread. Here's what I mean by feeling closed off from the ocean and claustrophobic on the S-class non-promenade deck (not a reason not to sail on these ships, but it is a negative to me):

EclipseTA457_01.jpg

By contrast, and just by way of example, this is the promenade deck on NCL's Jewel class ships:

JewelCruiseOct2010519_01.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

• 2 months later...

I love wraparound promenade decks; even though we always book balconies, we spend a lot of time there. It's one reason I may cancel my Solstice booking to Alaska in May and go with Princess. I was excited when I heard the ship was coming to Seattle, without having looked at the deck plans.

For some itineraries it might not matter, but for Alaska, and all of the wildlife/glacier viewing, I think it does.

I once heard a comedian on a ship talk about how everyday he was taking the elevator up to the 14th floor to the gym to walk on the Stairmaster. Then one day it came to him that he should just take the stairs instead and he'd be done with his work out by the time he got there.

You can then enjoy the ocean view from a nice comfy chair somewhere or out the window at the Sky Lounge :rolleyes:

Tom

Cathy,

Love tread mills with the ocean view too.:)

I could care less about a promenade deck.

Walking up and down the stairs of all decks is also a work out.

I think it's a trade off. It may be better to not have those boats more prominent from the promenade and less in the way of the view from balconies. I've never been on NCL, but I've been on lots of older RCCL ships and many of the balcony or porthole view rooms had nice views of the lifeboats.

I think these boats need to be somewhere. At least there's a little patch of vitamin D showing through. I'm not sure where they put them on NCL.

Tom

I didn't have access to my pix when I posted above in this thread. Here's what I mean by feeling closed off from the ocean and claustrophobic on the S-class non-promenade deck (not a reason not to sail on these ships, but it is a negative to me):

EclipseTA457_01.jpg

By contrast, and just by way of example, this is the promenade deck on NCL's Jewel class ships:

JewelCruiseOct2010519_01.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

I've often thought about the location of these lifeboats and their affect on the ability to see the sea. However from a safety aspect I think it is the perfect location to step from the deck into the tenders without having to wait for the hoists to lower them into place in case of need.

Some of us wondered if the additional deck and rearranging on the Reflection would cause the walking area to be extended on this ship. Guess I will find out 1 week from today when I board and will report back! LOL

Man, the things I do for cruise critic. :D

EclipseTA457_01.jpg

Yikes! I think I'll be spending a grand total of 0 minutes on that pseudo-promenade deck :eek:

I much prefer the wrap-around Promenade found on many ships too, though we have walked back and forth on the Promenade before. You can also kind of make a round trip by going through the ship to the other side and back again, but it's awkward.

The walking/jogging path on these ships is very stupidly designed as it goes right through, and is part of, the only way to get from the front of the ship to the back areas, including the buffet. The hamburger place is there too.

So, besides lots of other walkers, there are also all kinds of people just meandering along, often the wrong way, heading to the lawn, the aft, the buffet, the pool, etc. Or stopped in groups, talking, oblivious to those who have to go around them.

To make it worse, the track goes right through deck chairs on both sides of it for much of the way. Chairs are often sticking right out into the path, which makes for traffic foul-ups and barked shins. I've even seen people fall over them. And it goes through the smoking area.

The only good thing is that it is fairly long, about 8 laps to a mile; I've been on ships where you had to go 15 laps for a mile!

It's basically impossible to "run" or even "jog" the track during high traffic times, its MUCH more akin to a military obstacle course. :rolleyes:

But, as with other activities on a ship with 3000 passengers, just modify your schedule to take advantage of OFF PEAK times. :)

The change in conditions (balance, stress, exertion) from jogging DOWNWIND on one side of the ship to UPWIND on the other side, literally makes me laugh out loud as I am running. I can NOT do treadmills, just too boring for this hampster. :D

Archived