Lack of Promenade Deck

stereo

Here you are!

Celebrity S-class.

1z7sdh.jpg

A "closed in" promenade deck on a real cruise ship.

wi839e.jpg

Thanks for posting photos of why I think promenade decks are a waste of space! It is much appreciated! Lifeboats, exposed pipes and metal beams just a few feet above your head, only able to look out in one direction - that is oppressive indeed!!! And totally underutilized - most people don't find it worthwhile and leave it completely empty most of the time. - just look at your photos! Where are the people if this is such a great area??? About as useful as coal bunkers in the engine room. They are a thing of the past for which there is little need for any longer.

By the way, I got what you were trying to point out. It didn't work - again. You are still beating the same "promenade vs. lawn" dead horse you have been beating for months. I still can't figure out why someone would subject himself to trying to change something that he has ZERO chance of changing. Reminds me of Don Quiote "tilting at windmills". I would think a rational person would have accepted the inevitable and saved themselves the grief of constantly complaining about something they can't change. Get over it!!!

That's a sparkling new idea of cruise ship design.

The only useful areas are those which are "utilized".

The more utilized - the better.

Make them smaller and squeeze more people into them - even better utilized.

No space at all? Perfect ship!

I think budget cruise lines owe you a cruise.:)

Promenade deck on a cruise ship.

i1msd5.jpg

It appears that my love for a wraparound promenade deck is in the minority of people who sail on Celebrity. So, it is understandable why Celebrity chose not to have that feature. After all they can't get additional rent from public areas of a ship :)

No. They did not ask their customers about that.

Yes. "Additional rent" is the only answer.

i1msd5.jpg

It's much better/prettier sitting and relaxing on the Lawn - You have a great view to both sides of the ship not just one side.

i1msd5.jpg

Looks like the deck of a cargo ship!!!

Not much of view, IMHO. Who could find this relaxing with lifeboats dangling just inches above your head and little to no air flow. Yuck! Give me openness, wide open views, blue sky as my ceiling, and fresh air any day. But, if you like spending your time in tunnels, then I guess this is the perfect place. ;)

"Relaxing sitting places on the lawn from where you can have a great view to both sides of the ship".

I have a bunch of photos of S-class lawns from my recent cruise but I cannot see that place on them.

However, there are nice places there but without "a great view to both sides of the ship".

Thanks for the photos. On Princess I usually run on the jogging track in the AM and walk laps of the Promenade deck in the afternoon.

This will be my 1st X cruise and it looks like I won't be doing either. From looking at the deck plans I was concerned about the location of the jogging track and these pictures certainly confirm that it is not actually suitable for running. As I do actually run v's jog this would be very dangerous for both myself and others. Could be good practice for Hurdles though with those deck chairs in the middle of the track :D My running will be confined to the treadmills, and I think the afternoon promenade walks will be traded for drinks at the sunset bar ;)

We are so looking forward to this cruise and experiencing a new cruise line and ship.....already counting down the days :D

Not much of view, IMHO. Who could find this relaxing with lifeboats dangling just inches above your head and little to no air flow. Yuck! Give me openness, wide open views, blue sky as my ceiling, and fresh air any day. But, if you like spending your time in tunnels, then I guess this is the perfect place. ;)

Maybe you would look at that "underutilized" picture?:)

"Little to no air flow on promenade deck" - well said.

Have you ever been on a cruise ship?

Friends, you made my evening today! Thank you.

For more wide open views and blue sky as your ceiling please proceed to the upper deck:

v8kaky.jpg

Maybe I feel differently about wraparound promenade decks because I started cruising during the seventies when wraparound promenade decks were the norm on ships that looked like ships. Today most cruise ships look more like floating hotels than ships.

Cunard and Holland America have been around much longer than Celebrity, which is probably why their ships are more traditional.

Maybe you would look at that "underutilized" picture?:)

"Little to no air flow on promenade deck" - well said.

Have you ever been on a cruise ship?

Friends, you made my evening today! Thank you.

For more wide open views and blue sky as your ceiling please proceed to the upper deck:

v8kaky.jpg

Now if that pool only had grass around it:D It is really sad that they made the railings solid (should be glass) as you can't see the ocean sitting down.

I think the Promenade Deck was not intended to be a substitute for the top of the ship, but an alternative. Take that away and you have the "choice" of doing only what the majority wants - all the freedom of an ant colony.

Other "advantages" of the upper deck: skin cancer, the smell of roasting flesh, and the "freedom" to do exactly what everyone else is doing.

I think the Promenade Deck was not intended to be a substitute for the top of the ship, but an alternative. Take that away and you have the "choice" of doing only what the majority wants - all the freedom of an ant colony.

Other "advantages" of the upper deck: skin cancer, the smell of roasting flesh, and the "freedom" to do exactly what everyone else is doing.

Then you don't need a promenade deck at all. Just spend all your time in your inside stateroom, hidden away from the sun, the air, and the people, and you will be much happier. From what you write it appears you are trying to eliminate the cruise ship experience from the cruise. :rolleyes:

"Relaxing sitting places on the lawn from where you can have a great view to both sides of the ship".

I have a bunch of photos of S-class lawns from my recent cruise but I cannot see that place on them.

However, there are nice places there but without "a great view to both sides of the ship".

Are you responding to another thread? I don't get what point you are trying to make? I thought we were talking about promenade decks. Are you still as confused as you were on that other thread about the appeal of the lawn?

But since you brought it up, there are several places where a person can see both sides of the ship. Anyone with even one working eye would see that! Ask your seeing eye dog. He'll know where they are! :rolleyes:

Those places certainly aren't on a mostly enclosed promenade deck.

Celebrity-Cruises-1024x687.jpg

I spend quite a bit of time on the Promenade Deck, but having only sailed on Celebrity and Azamara, both of whose ships don't have a wrap around affair I only use them to sit and relax. Part of the appeal of this area for me are the comfortable loungers, the lack of traffic and being close to the water really enjoying standing by the rail and watching the sea. I like the Lawn Club too. It's great to have a choice.

Phil

We enjoy walking on the top decks in the open air (though the jogging track on the S class ships is a joke) most of the time, but there are times when it is nice to be able to walk on the promenade deck due to wind, colder weather, rain, etc.

The covered promenades offer some protection from such things and are often less crowded. On many ships that have a wrap-around promenade, though, many people do there walking there and it can get a little crowded at popular times.

It's also nice to not have to keep going in tight circles to make up a mile too; 2.5 laps to a mile just seems easier than 8-11 laps!

Are you responding to another thread? I don't get what point you are trying to make? I thought we were talking about promenade decks. Are you still as confused as you were on that other thread about the appeal of the lawn?

But since you brought it up, there are several places where a person can see both sides of the ship.

I did not bring it up.

This is Christine Frances who metioned the lawn.

Please read posts before you respond.

"Relaxing sitting places on the lawn from where you can have a great view to both sides of the ship" do not exist on S-class ships.

I believe you have not been on these ships.

The only lawn area open to both sides is often used as a playground.

It does not have "relaxing sitting places".

x1zm6f.jpg

On the Silhouette the former open playground has been monetized into cabanas.

14jvz1u.jpg

There are sitting places along the wall of the superstructure with a view to one side of the ship.

33y12fl.jpg

i1msd5.jpg

Im guessing 95% of those folks out there have inside cabins. Why would I sit out there all those folks if i have a balcony? Promenade decks were important on ships that didnt have or had limited balconies but nowadays with ships having 6, 7, 8 decks worth of balconies I dont think the promenade decks are as needed..... IMHO...:cool:

We enjoy walking on the top decks in the open air (though the jogging track on the S class ships is a joke) most of the time, but there are times when it is nice to be able to walk on the promenade deck due to wind, colder weather, rain, etc.

The covered promenades offer some protection from such things and are often less crowded. On many ships that have a wrap-around promenade, though, many people do there walking there and it can get a little crowded at popular times.

It's also nice to not have to keep going in tight circles to make up a mile too; 2.5 laps to a mile just seems easier than 8-11 laps!

I agree 100%. The promenades are great for romantic late evening strolls. This was what we missed most during our first S-class cruise on the Solstice last month. Otherwise, it was nearly perfect.

"Relaxing sitting places on the lawn from where you can have a great view to both sides of the ship" do not exist on S-class ships. I believe you have not been on these ships.

The only lawn area open to both sides is often used as a playground. It does not have "relaxing sitting places".

On the Silhouette the former open playground has been monetized into cabanas.

There are sitting places along the wall of the superstructure with a view to one side of the ship.

Beating%20a%20dead%20horse%20plain.jpg

Im guessing 95% of those folks out there have inside cabins. Why would I sit out there all those folks if i have a balcony? Promenade decks were important on ships that didnt have or had limited balconies but nowadays with ships having 6, 7, 8 decks worth of balconies I dont think the promenade decks are as needed..... IMHO...:cool:

Excellent point that I had not considered before. Makes perfect sense.

Whitshel - we book suites and I still love wraparound decks for taking walks around the ship. It is very different from walking around the small crowded jogging track on top deck with the sun beating down on me.

One thing I've learned recently is that the amount of a ship that is devoted to public spaces is more important than number of passengers in determining how crowded a ship feels. Our recent Disney cruise had 3,700 passengers, but never felt crowded because of all its public spaces. We never had trouble finding a table in the buffet, lounge chairs by the pool, lounge chairs on its private island, or a quiet place on the ship to chat with other passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By your logic anyone sitting outside in a public area of the ship has an inside cabin. I always book a balcony or a suite, but still enjoy being around the ship including the Promenade Deck. Wouldn't want to be on my balcony the whole time.

The Promenade Deck certainly makes it easier to muster if you need to get in the lifeboats.

Phil

By your logic anyone sitting outside in a public area of the ship has an inside cabin. I always book a balcony or a suite, but still enjoy being around the ship including the Promenade Deck. Wouldn't want to be on my balcony the whole time.

The Promenade Deck certainly makes it easier to muster if you need to get in the lifeboats.

Phil

Hi Phil,:) OT for one moment.....watched Wimbledon....Andy

almost came through....I was cheering for him but Federer is just

too tough........:eek:

Back to regularly scheduled programming.............

No, Celebrity ships do not have Promenade decks. They also do not have water slides, rock climbing walls, Movies Under the Stars, smoking in inside areas, cartoon people, and constant announcements. You choose who you sail with depending only on what is important to you. We can debate this all day but if to get a promenade deck it means I have to cruise with a line that allows smoking on the balcony's or inside the ship - I will happily pass.

Archived