currency question from Seabourn newbie

arzz

DH and I booked the Pride for April 5, 2013 (Dubai to Athens) -- and just recently rebooked our cruise -- the reverse itinerary for November 17, 2013 (Athens to Dubai). So now the cruise that was a long way away is approaching rapidly.

We are new to Seabourn, though not new to cruising -- we have close to 400 days on HAL and have "tasted" many other cruise lines. Since this is our first time out on Seabourn we know that we will not yet feel like we are "coming home" when we board -- and the questions are beginning to surface.

My TA has confirmed that any necessary visas for the trip will be provided while on board and that is a relief.

From reading this board I know that there are many of you out there who have done this itinerary before so I am hoping to learn from your expertise. What currency is preferred in Jordan, Egypt, Oman and Dubai? US dollars, euros or local currency?

If we only require small amounts of currency, can it be purchased on board? (I realize that we will not get the best rates, but purchasing currency on board is so very convenient for small amounts)

Does the front desk on board cash traveller's checks and do they charge to do this?

I appreciate any help that is offered and I am sure that this will not be my last set of questions. Thanks in advance.

I can't answer all your questions but on our only Seabourn cruise the purser did have foreign currency available but we were mainly in countries that used the euro so that was pretty easy for them.

Have a great next cruise.

My Mom and I did this itinerary last year. We either used Euros or a credit card. You can purchase Euros at the Purser's Desk and I believe they have other currencies available. I personally have not used traveller's checks in a long time so I can't answer your question about whether or not Seabourn charges to cash them but I do remember waiting at the Purser's Desk while another passenger cashed some traveller's checks. HTH

Lisa :)

Seabourn typically invites a member of the local tourist bureau and a bank in each port so depending on when they arrive and your tour departs you may buy

local currency in all of these places. But I typically don't bother since USD are virtually welcome everywhere, I don't want to try to sell back excess local currency and I would use my Visa card for any large purchases. Like the earlier poster, I have not used travelers checks in many years.

I have not bought currency from Seabourn staff. Besides, you would get a better rate at a cash machine where you would be asked how much local currency you want and visa does the rest with the transaction and the bank pushing out the notes.

Have a great cruise!

TootyJane -- did the Euros satisfy for those small out of pocket needs that pop up like purchasing a can of soda or bottle of water or maybe paying for a taxi? We usually wish to have a small amount of local currency on hand unless we are somewhere they would much prefer to collect Eiros or dollars. We always bring Euros and dollars, we have an ATM card -- though we hate to waste time in port chasing out a local ATM.

Thanks for the replys!

I typically don't bother since USD are virtually welcome everywhere, I don't want to try to sell back excess local currency and I would use my Visa card for any large purchases.

Have a great cruise!

I would agree with Markham. We did virtually the same trip - Dubai to Venice on Quest - earlier this year, calling in Oman, Egypt, Jordan, and Greece en route. USD are acceptable everywhere. Take plenty of small bills - we stocked up with $200 in $1 singles - as they are fine for soft drinks, tips, etc. ashore. Just take $20-30 with you for a day, rest in safe. If we knew we were going to take a lot of taxis in a particular place we'd change $20 or $50 bill in a bank for local currency.

You will be able to use credit cards at all the points on this trip for meals, overnight trips if you choose to go private tours (as we did for Luxor, Petra and Giza/Cairo) and any major purchases - even in the suqs!

Have a great trip - we envy you.

TootyJane -- did the Euros satisfy for those small out of pocket needs that pop up like purchasing a can of soda or bottle of water or maybe paying for a taxi? We usually wish to have a small amount of local currency on hand unless we are somewhere they would much prefer to collect Eiros or dollars. We always bring Euros and dollars, we have an ATM card -- though we hate to waste time in port chasing out a local ATM.

Thanks for the replys!

We used Euros for most everything (large purchases were put on cc) although we never had the need for a taxi. HTH

Lisa :)

Archived