Avalon tranquility 9th september 2012

Sylve1

We have been planning our first european trip since July last year and our river cruise is about 6 days into our 30 day trip. Avalon tranquility starting in Nuremberg sun 9th of Sept 2012 finishing in Budapest 16th sept. Any one else here doing this trip? We are doing 4 nights in Prague ourselves and busing to Nuremberg. Also 3 extra nights in Budapest. Then onto Stuttgart, Berlin, Amsterdam and Dubai.

We are planners and from what I read so are many of you. This is a summary of what I have concluded.

Room will be small but nicely decorated and comfy.

I will like having a French balcony but not necessary if you want to save money.

Dining room may be noisy and dining a lengthy affair.

Mostly we will be able to walk into town from dock.

Docks may be busy with boats and we may have to walk through other boats to reach shore. Interesting.

Meals may be smallish but you can ask for seconds ( for hubby not me!)

Meals may vary in quality but as we don't eat in very up market places we will probably be very happy.(personally I am happy with anything I don't have to cook or prepare myself!)

Avalon is well liked but so are many others. Depends on itinerary and personal circumstances.

Dress is casual but neat.

Weather could be quite warm or quite chilly ( I was hoping to keep luggage under 15 kg to start. Probably not going to happen! )

Included tours very good. Especially as an introduction. Varying walking abilities catered for.

Bring pegs and clothesline.

Never been on an ocean cruise but the large amount of people on board does not make them attractive to us at this time so river cruising will prob suit us.

I understand I am getting a snapshot of the towns visited.

Water levels may be a problem. Cross fingers.

Locks may wake us at night. Bring ear plugs.

Early starts.

Probably early nights!

I have booked Anne Frank house and planned my site seeing must sees plus extras. ( our motto is be well researched but if we miss things so be it. Need time to sit and absorb. We are not on the Amazing Race but hope the trip will be amazing! )

Decided to do a Segway tour in Prague.( for further afield exploring )

Also looking into private tour in Prague.

Bus to Nuremberg booked. Much much cheaper than using Avalon.

Still don't know whether to take Salzburg tour. Passau and cruising on the most scenic part of the Danube very enticing. Either are good choices.

Before my research I thought Vienna was a small enchanting town! I now realise it is large, busy enchanting city!

Probably won't go to concert in Vienna. Too hot and not our interest.

ATMs for money. Good to have local currency in pocket.

Eat out of main touristy areas for better value.

Have copy of passport on us.

We are looking forward to meeting our fellow travelers. :)

I am sure many of you could add many more. I am happy o add to my list. I have read with much interest all the comments, suggestions and controversies and will continue to do so right up to when we leave in the early hours of September 2nd.

Thank you all.

Thank you Sylve

we are going from Budapest to Amsterdam on August the 15th on the Panorama with Avalon, cant wait!

It was good to have everything I'd been reading about laid out in front of me, what to wear, casual or not?? and clotheslines seem to raise alot of discussion in these threads..we will have similar problems as you with packing our cases, we're away for 2 months, with extreme temperatures from Dubai and Singapore to a quite chilly Scotland I imagine..so although I'd like to stay around the 15kgs, I cant really see it happening, but layering is the way to go, everything I take has to be able to be worn with everything else, no 'one offs'.

The food debates dont really faze us, neither of us are fussy eaters, so as long as it tastes good it'll be fine with us.

We've never been on ocean cruises either and as its our first cruise we have nothing to compare with, so whatever we do or experience will be new to us. I'm not neccesarily interested in going on all the optional tours, as the places we stop at will be new to us anyway, so I cant see the point of bussing off to somewhere else when we'll be in a place we havent visited before anyway, I'm happy to walk the streets then just sit and have coffee and 'people watch'.

We're still undecided about the Vienna concert..lots of debate on here about that, might just wait to see how we feel about it at the time.

I'll be following with interest to see what comments are added here, thanks again for all your information, its very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you Sylve

we are going from Budapest to Amsterdam on August the 15th on the Panorama with Avalon, cant wait!

It was good to have everything I'd been reading about laid out in front of me, what to wear, casual or not?? and clotheslines seem to raise alot of discussion in these threads..we will have similar problems as you with packing our cases, we're away for 2 months, with extreme temperatures from Dubai and Singapore to a quite chilly Scotland I imagine..so although I'd like to stay around the 15kgs, I cant really see it happening, but layering is the way to go, everything I take has to be able to be worn with everything else, no 'one offs'.

The food debates dont really faze us, neither of us are fussy eaters, so as long as it tastes good it'll be fine with us.

We've never been on ocean cruises either and as its our first cruise we have nothing to compare with, so whatever we do or experience will be new to us. I'm not neccesarily interested in going on all the optional tours, as the places we stop at will be new to us anyway, so I cant see the point of bussing off to somewhere else when we'll be in a place we havent visited before anyway, I'm happy to walk the streets then just sit and have coffee and 'people watch'.

We're still undecided about the Vienna concert..lots of debate on here about that, might just wait to see how we feel about it at the time.

I'll be following with interest to see what comments are added here, thanks again for all your information, its very helpful.

On reflection I agree with your take on optional tours. Will see how we feel but I don't want to miss the Wachau Valley.

Your comment about ' no one offs' is one I really need to take into account! Let us know how you go with the packing!

I did the Avalon Felicity in May / June. While we went through many less locks on the Rhine (27 total) compared to the Danube, I was never woken up at night by noise and I had the bed next to the French balcony. I felt some movement some nights, but it was never enough to jar me completely awake and I was able to go right back to sleep.

As to the comment about portions being small, they may have been but dinner each night was a 4-6 course affair (starter, soup, salad, main, dessert). I was never hungry at the end of a meal. There were times when I passed on a course even. As noted, you can always ask for more - but do it at the beginning of the meal when the waiters are taking everyone's orders. It will make things run smoother.

We only did 3 optional excursions our entire trip and I was very happy with our selections. We were very happy with the included walking tours and then free time to explore the cities more on our own afterwards.

I hope you will have an amazing vacation. I really liked mine and would do it yearly if I could afford it.

Have sailed with Avalon several times and we never needed a clothesline or pegs ("clothes pins" in the US) although we often washed things out. I simply used the "pinchy" clothes hangers and either hung the hangers from door knobs overnight, or if still not dry then into one of the closets and they were completely dried when we returned from touring and were out of the way of the room stewards.

As soon as you get into your cabin figure out how many pinchy hangers you might need and if you don't think you have enough make that one of the 1st orders of business with your steward and she/he can often grab a few more for you. My husband loves the "travel shirts" that are long sleeved with a collar; sleeves can be rolled up for warm days but then look nice for dinner and wash out easily and are dry by the next morning. (roll the wet clothes up in a bath towel, squeeze, unroll and hang up--quick to dry)

I wouldn't worry too much about being awakened by the locks; after a few days of touring you'll be so weary and full of fresh air you'll sleep through most everything!!!

We've traveled in Sept and never had river problems. Everything else in your summation is accurate in my experience.

Archived