Just back from Navigator

Got back yesterday after another fantastic cruise. The ship was amazing as always and the staff just couldn't do enough to please. One thing that struck me this time is that over 50% of passengers were Italian which meant that everything was geared up for them, the music, entertainment almost all was Italian. I thought we were on a Costa ship!

We had a GS on deck 10 (1556) whcih was directly under the solarium. Avoid this suite if you can, although the room itself was great as always, we were woken each morning between 4 and 5 by the crew moving the sunbeds which scraped on the tiled floor. Not something you want on vacation.

One new thing brought in this week by RCI is that when you pre-pay your gratuities, you used to get your envelopes and gratuity slips for stateroom attendant, waiter, head waiter etc delivered to your room. When we enquired why we didn't get them this time, we were told that this has now stopped and all gratuities are put into the pot and split between the crew. I don't have a problem with this but it seemed embarrassing on the last night when you didn't have your envelopes to dish out, although we always give extra anyway.

Any questions about last week just ask and I will answer if I can.

We just handed the cash over when we shook hands on the last night in the dining room and as we departed in the morning - the stateroom attendants are always close by on departure day! It is a bit embarassing but I need to let them know how much we appreciate the way they looked after us. It is only RCI's word that the tips get split, I am not so sure and the crew don't know either as it only happened this week for the first time.

Did you have main seating in the MDR or late? Once, on a Liberty cruise over Easter, which was mainly Spanish cruisers, we foind that we had early seating more or less to ourselves. All the Spanish cruisers had requested late seating so the MDR was virtually empty when we ate. Was it the same for you? Only asking as we are back on Navigator next month and our roll call is very quiet so I presumed there would be many Italian cruisers. We don't mind it being quiet at dinner because it means the kids can get out quicker and enjoy the start of their clubs ;)

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. We liked this itinerary so much we decided to do it again - 10 months later in fact :D

We had a GS on Navigator last Dec - room 1248. It's just as bad under the solarium. This seems to be a problem with all the suites on RCI. Most of them are under the solarium or pool deck. But on this class of ships with the small tiles and grout in the solarium, it's even worst. We had the towels being rolled back and forth to the pool deck on our side so all day, starting VERY early and at random times, we'd hear those wheels rolling back and forth.

I would just take the envelopes out of the drawer and label them with the extra cash we give to those who take care of us. We do this with the concierge, too. We write their name on the envelope so the money is already divided up and we know who gets what.

Was Capt. Claus still on board?

Gina

Hi Villauk. We had MTD so all gratuities were pre-paid. We ate at different times each night and there were plenty of Italians at all times. Many were in large groups. One night we ate in Portofinos and there were mainly UK and US guests in there.

Hi Mommabean. Yes, Captain Claus is still there. He leaves in two weeks for a ten week run on the Radiance in Alaska.

Hi Villauk. We had MTD so all gratuities were pre-paid. We ate at different times each night and there were plenty of Italians at all times. Many were in large groups. One night we ate in Portofinos and there were mainly UK and US guests in there.

Hi Mommabean. Yes, Captain Claus is still there. He leaves in two weeks for a ten week run on the Radiance in Alaska.

Hi, did you used the Concierge? Who's in charge there, now that Ricardo is on Holiday?

Thanks and glad that you had a great time! Love the Navigator!!!

We used the Consierge lounge every night. Alexandra is in charge and she did a fantastic job along with her "two boys" they made sure our glasses were never empty. The canapes were excellent too. We met some wonderful people in there and had many interesting conversations and comparisons of various ships/itineraries.

Glad you had a great trip! We are doing the same cruise in September.

I will have to pack some envelopes with me so we can give out extra money, as we have pre-paid gratuities as well. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm glad you verified this. Only we have been told Captain Claus was going to Radiance on July 20 for just 4 weeks until Capt. Bill Wright takes over. Are you sure he said 10 weeks? I don't think he can be on board a ship for that long - combining his time on Navigator with his future time on Radiance. That would amount to around 18 weeks straight of work which would be highly out of the ordinary.

Gina

We used the Consierge lounge every night. Alexandra is in charge and she did a fantastic job along with her "two boys" they made sure our glasses were never empty. The canapes were excellent too. We met some wonderful people in there and had many interesting conversations and comparisons of various ships/itineraries.

Thank you for the response!!! We love Ricardo and Karen before him!!

We love the Concierge and the lifelong friendships that started with a glass of wine... -:))

Am on this cruise on 22nd July!

I read in previous reviews about the entertainment-are the Bee Gees tribute band and the Jersey Boys tribute band still active? Two of my favourite types of music,so I certainly hope so :) Any other info on the entertainment? I was spoilt last year on Liberty having the West End show(Saturday Night Fever)

Thanks

The envelopes stopped last week.

The entertainment last week was The Backbeat Beatles and they were absolutely fantastic they had the Metropolis Theatre buzzing. Wished they could have played for two nights instead of one.

I always take thank-you cards with me (bought at the dollar stores) so that I can write a short note letting them know how i felt during the cruise and thanking them for a wonderful time, I do thissometime with cash or some times with the vouchers:D

Hi DonnaK, The CD was Simona and her deputy was Daniel. Didn't see much of them apart from when they introduced shows.

Hi Pennysmum, We did our own thing mainly beaucase we had done all the ports before. Also, it is much cheaper to make your own way and not difficult at all, there are always taxis waiting at the ports but just agree the price before you leave. If you want to do a ship's tour, go to Ephesus it will blow your mind - although not as impressive at Pompeii or Herculaneum on the Naples itinerary. The hop on hop off bus in Chania is well worth $15 each.

Hi DonnaK, The CD was Simona and her deputy was Daniel. Didn't see much of them apart from when they introduced shows.

Thanks! (Warren Allen was scheduled to take over CD duties from Simona on June 30. Thanks for the confirmation that the changeover didn't occur as scheduled.)

Thanks for that. We are going to do ephesus ruins and terrace houses(loved pompeii). Was not sure about what to do in crete but the bus sounds great. How did you find the concierge lounge....was it busy, friendly? Never been in a GS before so really excited..12 more days.

Tickets arrived today so feel i can almost touch it now.

Oh ...one more question ...my daughter really seasick last time out (on a much smaller ship) two nights running..... how calm were the seas?

The Concierge lounge was amazing and never too busy. Alex was so nice, she is getting married next year and will no doubt tell you she has her dress and shoes ........etc We went in around 7 each evening for an hour or so before dinner. Drinks flowed and the canapes were delish. Her "two boys" were so nice. We met some lovely people in there and conversation flowed as fast as the drinks. We are from the UK and many from the US wanted to talk about the Royal family, the Jubilee, the Olympics and London in particular.

Don't forget when you are in a suite you get reserved sunbeds with gold towels. This is a great view point to people watch and near the pool bar too. Also, on departure, you can get continental breakfast in Portofinos while you wait to depart the ship. Would recommend a suite everytime if your budget will allow. Have a great vacation.

Any idea what Alexandra's last name is???:confused:

I'm looking forward to the Navigator coming to Galveston in late 2013. It has a rather long dry dock (about 4 weeks I think) in January, 2014, when I think it will get a Park Cafe (gotta try the roast beef sandwiches) among other things.

Archived