PEI driving East to Murray River/Montague area

We will be on the NCL Dawn and arriving Sept 25 (Tuesday)

We have rented a car and have our 4 and 6 yr olds in tow. I was interested in the Cavendish/Rustico coastal drive but hubby was reading about the seals on the Eastern side in the Murray River area and/or Montague.

Will the seals still be around the end of Sept and are there other areas of interest on that side of the island? Interesting landscapes? wildlife?

I just don't want to waste a day driving over there and not seeing much else of interest!

I do not know about the seals personally. I found this link on Trip Advisor. It may be what you saw, but it seems to say you need to go on a boat to see them.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g155022-i619-k3690309-Cruise_Manada-Prince_Edward_Island.html#26632850

All of PEI is lovely pastoral scenery, but going to Murray River does not have you going along the water much. the most spectacular scenery for most is along the North Shore in the National Park. I also love the New Glasgow area where you have hills and a river.

Where I live in norther Nova Scotia I used to have a cottage right on the water. The seals bask on the reefs and are certainly there into October.

We have rented a car and have our 4 and 6 yr olds in tow. I was interested in the Cavendish/Rustico coastal drive but hubby was reading about the seals on the Eastern side in the Murray River area and/or Montague.

Will the seals still be around the end of Sept and are there other areas of interest on that side of the island? Interesting landscapes? wildlife?

I just don't want to waste a day driving over there and not seeing much else of interest!

Hi there,

Try this link. I hope it helps! I may do this myself this summer!

http://www.bonshawbreezes.com/experiences-mainmenu-83/88-seal-watching-on-pei.html

Seal Watching on PEI

There are several businesses on the island that offer boat trips to see the seals along our shoreline.

Peake's Wharf Boat Cruises can be reached at 566-4458. Sailing times for seal watching in Charlottetown's scenic harbourr is 2:30, duration 21/2 hrs and cost $22.00. Children 12 and under are 1/2 price. This licensed all weather vessel operates from June to September.

Marine Adventures Seal Watching located on Murray River can be contacted at http://www.sealwatching.com ph: 902-962-2494. Toll Free 1-800-496-2494. E-Mail info@sealwatching.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it Tours are available May 15th. - Oct 15th. Sailing times are 10:00, 13:00, 15:00 and 18:00 Rates: Adults $18.75, Seniors/Students $16.00, Children 12 and under $12.00 and Preschoolers free.

Have fun!

Another link for you....

http://www.peakeswharfboattours.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=3

Archived