Questions about early saver...

kwagmyre

I have searched both CC and Carnival, as well as the Internet and am still not clear on some things...

My understanding is this:

- If I book ES, pay deposit, and then later need to change the cruise date, I have to pay a $50pp fee. The rest of the deposit is applied towards the "new" cruise.

- My deposit is non-refundable, so if I need to cancel, then I just basically forfeit the deposit.

Assuming the above is true, my question is what happens AFTER final payment.

According to Carnival:

Ship and sailing date changes are allowed prior to the final payment due date, subject to a $50 USD service fee per person, per change. Changes made after the final payment due date are subject to standard cancellation penalties.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=earlysaver

So, by that, I am taking that to mean the graduated percentages in the ticket contract, section 6, available here:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/static_templates/ticket_contract.aspx

So, I understand what happens on cancellation, that's pretty clear.

What I am not clear about, is what happens after rescheduling.

So, I guess in a nutshell, (and assuming all my assertions above are correct), my question is this:

What happens to my cruise fare, if I book ES, then reschedule after final payment?

After final payment, all rates, "standard cancellation penalties apply" (if you look at cancellation penalties in FAQs .. it has that statement.

Right, but not trying to be "thick" here, but... what does that mean? How can there be a "cancellation penalty" if I am not actually cancelling, but rather just rescheduling (or wanting to).

Are they saying that, say for instance, if I reschedule say 30 days out, that I would lose potentially 50% of the full cruise fare?

And if so, why would I do that?

Why, instead, wouldn't I just flat-out cancel, file a claim for a covered reason under travel insurance, and then re-book (and possibly with another line, since my money is now not in their "system" anymore).

See what I am saying? If I am reading it correctly, it seems like a stupid policy to charge the exact same fee for a reschedule, vs. a flat-out cancellation. If they treat them both the same, then I am getting the remainder of my money back directly anyway, so what's the incentive to leave the remainder with CCL at that point?

It seems like it would make a lot more sense, from Carnival's position, to give you a reason to keep at least some of your money with them at that point, by penalizing you less for rescheduling vs cancelling.

But again, not 100% sure if I am understanding this correctly.

Cancelling after final payment is the same as changing the date.. you have to cancel one to rebook the other.

If you decide to cancel and change to another date.. the first penalty, is you lose all your deposit or half the price, whichever is more $$$, and as the days pass the penalty goes up.

You might want to read thru the standard cancellation penalities to see what they are?

If you decide not to take the cruise.. you have to cancel. simple as this. .. even if you take another one.

The $50 pp to cancel and rebook is only before final payment. After that standard cancellation penalties apply.

Any other rate you can cancel with NO PENALTY before final payment and rebook.

Im just telling you what the rules are.. not commenting if they are stupid or not. Not my decision, because they dont care if you think its stupid, they are going to charge you a arm and a leg to cancel after final payment.

As far as insurance .. if you cancel before final payment, only the $50 fee is covered. the rest is held in your name for 2 years, so is not a loss.

Insurance isnt going to completely cover you.. but it will help.

What I am not clear about, is what happens after rescheduling.

What happens to my cruise fare, if I book ES, then reschedule after final payment?

A "reschedule" after final payment is a cancellation. You're cancelling your previous sailing date, and a new reservation is made for the new sail date.

As stated above, cancellation penalties will apply to a "reschedule" after final payment.

A "reschedule" after final payment is a cancellation. You're cancelling your previous sailing date, and a new reservation is made for the new sail date.

As stated above, cancellation penalties will apply to a "reschedule" after final payment.

Ok. I think you've both answered my question...

To put it another way, there is no "reschedule" penalty after final payment, because there is no reschedule after final payment, period. Only cancellation, and re-book.

(soup naz! voice) "NO RESCHEDULE FOR YOU. CANCEL ONLY."

So, now I actually think the policy is even more stupid than I already did, lol...

But at least I got my question answered. Thanks.

To put it another way, there is no "reschedule" penalty after final payment, because there is no reschedule after final payment, period. Only cancellation, and re-book.

So, now I actually think the policy is even more stupid than I already did, lol...

I guess standard cancellation penalties apply you couldnt understand?? OK. sorry I was not clearer.

Wow. No need to be snarky. She was just trying to clarify. Op I hope your question is completely answered. I would try your PvP if you have one already as the carnival customer service line is always a shot in the dark for correct answers.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Wow. No need to be snarky. She was just trying to clarify. Op I hope your question is completely answered. I would try your PvP if you have one already as the carnival customer service line is always a shot in the dark for correct answers.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I tried to find a way to answer 3 times and OP thanks someone else and not me... who exactly is the one who is rude here? not just me? If someone tries to help and you pick and choose who to thank, that is also being rude to me.

everyone who tries to help should be thanked or none.

PS nevermind .. I should quit trying to state rules and help I think some days.

Fire, that happens to all of us. I answered everything someone asked a few days ago as did someone else, perhaps even you. The other person was thanked, but not me. Don't let it worry you.

I think it's the person who finally makes the OP understand that gets the thanks even though many others have helped, said the same thing, but when the OP finally gets it, thanks that person.

Cancelling after final payment is the same as changing the date.. you have to cancel one to rebook the other.

Fire, that happens to all of us. I answered everything someone asked a few days ago as did someone else, perhaps even you. The other person was thanked, but not me. Don't let it worry you.

I think it's the person who finally makes the OP understand that gets the thanks even though many others have helped, said the same thing, but when the OP finally gets it, thanks that person.

You are right, no reason to get annoyed, even though I said the same thing to me. That the OP has to CANCEL if they want to change the date.

thanks for the kind words. I should not let someone hurt my feelings by telling me off.

I don't see where the OP thank just one person...

she mentions "Both", and "Thanks" at the end, not saying who, I assumed Both.

Originally Posted by kwagmyre viewpost.gif

By the way thanks to all of you for clearing that up for me too.

ES, is sometimes hard to figure out, not that I plan on Canceling...

Far be it, only Family Emergency will keep me off my cruise to Hawaii

I tried to find a way to answer 3 times and OP thanks someone else and not me... who exactly is the one who is rude here? not just me? If someone tries to help and you pick and choose who to thank, that is also being rude to me.

Actually, as I stated in post #3, above, and and as Koval correctly pointed out, below, I thanked you BOTH, in that post. Please go back and re-read it.

And here I thought *I* was the one not reading the posts correctly.

I don't see where the OP thank just one person...

she mentions "Both", and "Thanks" at the end, not saying who, I assumed Both.

Originally Posted by kwagmyre viewpost.gif

By the way thanks to all of you for clearing that up for me too.

ES, is sometimes hard to figure out, not that I plan on Canceling...

Far be it, only Family Emergency will keep me off my cruise to Hawaii

Exactly. Your reading of my post is correct and this is the context in which it was intended.

ES is a very restrictive rate code. It gives you the benefit of price drops past final payment. But also comes with that NON Refundable deposit.

People like the lower price idea until they realize no changes, no refunds.

All other lines after final payment usually come with some type of cancellation penalty, that's just an industry standard.

Archived