HAL Veendam 7/8/12 to Bermuda Review

andyandsue

I didn't feel the kids were at fault. The pool area is just way too congested. My husband and I both agreed that they should have left the rear pool. It really doesn't make much sense to have one pool in a ship that size. We couldn't get chairs around the pool the last sea day anyway, so we headed to our balcony and enjoyed the lounge chairs there.

Mark, you are going back to Carnival to avoid children??? Granted, I haven't been on Carnival in almost 12 years, but back then they were the noisiest, rowdiest cruises of all.

Paula

Thank you Paula.

We could not get chairs around the pool either, and our kids were in the pool... LOL We had to stand there.

Edited by andyandsue

To those of you that answered my question about the shampoo & conditioner, thank you, thank you. Now I don't have to take a bottle of mine, which will make room for something else.

Again, everyone is so helpful and I appreciate it. Nanners

Our family is taking the Veendam to Bermuda on the 26 of August, and really appreciates all of the advise on this board. Can anyone answer these questions?

Are beach towels provide when getting off in Bermuda? (Last time we cruised to Bermuda, with NCL, they do.)

Do they have soy milk for coffee or should I bring my own?

Can you give me a list of the major show for each evening? I assume that they will be the same.

Has anyone used the $49 laundry service per cabin? Was it satisfactory?

thanks so much!

Yes, beach towels are available at the gangway.

As far as the shows go, there are several HAL singers and dancers who perform in shows on each cruise. The rest of the entertainment, which is mostly comedians will change each cruise as new performers get on in port or in NY.

I didn't feel the kids were at fault. The pool area is just way too congested. My husband and I both agreed that they should have left the rear pool.

Many of us who have sailed Veendam agree they should have left a regular aft pool. The decision was made to take out the pool and add additional cabins( a revenue producing plan) below the deck where the pool used to be. The first version of the Retreat was a disaster as water leaked from the little poolettes down into the new cabins and from the cabins into the sockets that hold the beautiful fixtures in the MDR. So, that Retreat was scrapped for the new one. It does seem that one pool just isn't enough, especially when there are many kids on board who use the main pool.

Our family is taking the Veendam to Bermuda on the 26 of August, and really appreciates all of the advise on this board. Can anyone answer these questions?

Are beach towels provide when getting off in Bermuda? (Last time we cruised to Bermuda, with NCL, they do.)

Do they have soy milk for coffee or should I bring my own?

Can you give me a list of the major show for each evening? I assume that they will be the same.

thanks so much!

Yes, towels are provided on the gangway.

I did not see soymilk, sorry, but I wasn't looking either.

If nobody can come up with the shows, I can dig out my daily letters and post it. Still not done unpacking!

I used the self-service laundry on the last day at sea. It wasn't busy and I was able to get 2 loads done quickly and inexpensively ($3 a load for wash and dry, free detergent), which was a great time-saver. The detergent was highly scented, which I don't use, and I got a rash from those clothes though! :eek: Everyone else in my family was fine.

I just thought of two more things to add!

There were a lot of museum-quality pieces throughout the ship, which I didn't know were aboard. It was fun to just walk around the ship and read the placards, like being in a museum everywhere!

At night, while at sea, HAL did not put on the outside deck strung lights. It made for a very blah atmosphere, with the lights off, music off, and hot tubs closed by 9:30. In port, however, they put those lights on.

I thought it was an interesting way to bring attention to and highlight the ship in port, but bring everyone inside (for shopping and gambling) at night at sea. Makes more money that way I suppose... Last year we could see the Veendam on the way to/from Bermuda from our ship (NCL Gem) and they had the lights on while at sea. It was beautiful to see in the distance and how we knew it was the Veendam.

Hi!

We are in 525 on the Veendam leaving on Sunday.

Were there any issues in or around that cabin?

We are back on HAL after a hiatus of six years sailing on Celebrity so hopefully HAL will be as good as we remember it.

Happy sailing,

Carol Ann

thanks so much!

We were on the 8 July cruise and used the laundry service. I felt it was well worth the $49 fee. We sent off a bag daily and it usually came back the next day. We'll be cruising again over Christmas and definately will use the laundry service again.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Thank you for your review. Just one thing for those going. You said:

- Formal night in the Lido was non-existent. I felt overdressed in a simple maxi dress. People were there in tank tops and flip flops and some kids were barefoot, so don't worry about it if formal night isn't your thing.

Lido is for those who do NOT want to dress up. It is a casual eating area, so dress code is not enforced. Formal is for the dining room.

The mid-ship pool on Lido deck is way too small for the ship. And when they allow children and young kids to PLAY in it unattended inlcuding jumping into the pool the adults have to leave. There is no pool for adults only like on Carnival ships ....

On our only Carnival cruise, the children thoroughly enjoyed the adult-only pool and/or hot tub. That policy did not seem to be enforced at the time.

Thank you for your review. Just one thing for those going. You said:

- Formal night in the Lido was non-existent. I felt overdressed in a simple maxi dress. People were there in tank tops and flip flops and some kids were barefoot, so don't worry about it if formal night isn't your thing.

Lido is for those who do NOT want to dress up. It is a casual eating area, so dress code is not enforced. Formal is for the dining room.

That is what I thought too, but when I posted the question here some "blasted" me, saying all areas of the ship are formal on formal night, that you can' wear shorts in the Lido on formal night, that you need a collard shirt, etc. My son was like "why am I wearing this shirt?" LOL On the second formal night, I let him wear shorts and a t-shirt. But I will say, they always wore shoes to dinner! :)

I agree, one pool isn't enough. We were in one of those cabins added when the pool was removed, and loved it, but wish there was another solution to the pool situation.

I think if they opened the Oasis to 'tweens, go the waterfall pool working in the Oasis, and had "adult-only" hour at the pool, while at the same time having a "kids only" hour at the aft retreat with a movie on the big screen (which didn't work either) it would make a huge difference for everyone.

I know my kids would follow the rules if there was an hour here and there for adults, while at the same time HAL offering something exclusive for them to do, and that aft broken big screen was a huge let down, but they loved the hot/cool tubs which seemed to shut down by 9:00.

Honestly I don't think we would cruise with HAL again unless the itinerary was something we couldn't pass up. Not even without the kids. From and adult perspective, the fabulous food was not enough of a draw to make up for the lack of things working, the so-so entertainment, and the ship shutting down so early. My husband and I loved to sit in the hot tubs on NCL last year at 10 pm. The pool bar was still open, music was still playing, and people were still out and about. Just our opinion, but I can absolutely understand the appeal of HAL to some.

Hi!

We are in 525 on the Veendam leaving on Sunday.

Were there any issues in or around that cabin?

We are back on HAL after a hiatus of six years sailing on Celebrity so hopefully HAL will be as good as we remember it.

Happy sailing,

Carol Ann

I didn't get to that area of the ship myself Carol Ann, sorry. Just go assuming you will have no problems. That is what we did and we were fine. Have a wonderful cruise!

Guest LoveMyBoxer
That is what I thought too, but when I posted the question here some "blasted" me, saying all areas of the ship are formal on formal night, that you can' wear shorts in the Lido on formal night, that you need a collard shirt, etc. My son was like "why am I wearing this shirt?" LOL On the second formal night, I let him wear shorts and a t-shirt. But I will say, they always wore shoes to dinner! :)

You have got to be kidding! The whole purpose of the lido at night is so some don't have to dress up. There is no more enforcement of "formal" all over the ship. Whoever gave you that information needs to take a cruise! :D

• 2 years later...