Silhouette missing cruise on Dec 16 solved Coachella cruise

dkjretired

Cool, Allue, I will check it out tonite.

And you can always start your own roll call too. I'm leery to advertise on the Coachella boards about the roll calls here because I don't want any of those jerks who put the cruise down to wander over. But I bet if you made a roll call eventually others on your cruise would find it,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RumRunner,

No worries, I've seen way worse auto corrects than that! Agreed on promoting anything over on the Coachella boards. I took one look and left, too much negativity. I might start a roll call. I'm a bit shy, hence only recently delurking even though I found this site back in January when I was researching cruise line reviews for our first cruise. (Went with Royal Caribbean and loved it!)

I'm amused by the presumptive attitudes here that just because people are young and like rock music they're going to trash the ship. I was young once and loved rock music, and never trashed anything. Now I'm getting old and still love rock music and have yet to trash anything.

Having said that I don't think I'd like to go on this cruise, I'd be much more inclined to go on the Blues Cruise which has the Trucks/Tedeschi band.

I was a little less-than-amused, and rather surprised to see the attitudes. I would have expected that from the privileged youth that attends the fest in Indio as opposed to the "maturer" crowd.

My wife and I have been to Coachella a half-dozen times and out of the 75,000 people there, there is only a small minority that get out of hand. We have also cruised Celebrity twice and have had a blast with those as well. I can't wait to go on this cruise, and experience the fun of both Coachella and a Celebrity cruise. Can't wait!!

Allie, don't be shy. I say go and start one. Then every so often you might have to bump it to the top so others can find you easily. Or invite those you think might appreciate the message board.

I'm glad you liked Royal Caribbean. We sail them most often. I love their ships and service and I'm sure I will love Celebrity too. Which ship did you sail on? We were on Liberty and Allure in March and had a great time.

Xenu, I've never been on this ship but have been on similar sized ships. I guess a lot depends on how many people might get in your way and if the deck goes all they way through from one end to the other or if you have to do the up and down thing to cross the ship. Typically pools are in the middle or back of the ship on near top decks. Buffet is usally on a top deck on the back of the ship. It's quick to get from the pool to the buffet, usually. On this ship it loosk like it's one deck up from the pool so it's probably a quick trip, a minute or two. Getting from buffet to night club looks like you are going down several decks and toward the front of the ship, could take 4-5 minutes depending on how many people are in the way and if you are using elevator or stairs. Going from the theater to the pool would mean going up several decks and toward the middle of the ship (theater is in the front). Again, this depends on how many people are in the way and if you are using elevator or stairs (elevator could mean a longer wait if busy but stairs could take a while unless you are running them LOL). The quickest route might be 4-5 minutes Hard to tell until you are on board and if you are going at the same time as everyone else.

Rumrunner,

We were on Jewel of the Seas. I was listening to the LCD Sound System channel on Pandora a couple of nights ago. Can't wait for the James Murphy set, I'm expecting some DFA remixes! I was checking out some of the on board activities. DJ tutorial, wine tasting, arts n crafts...I'm not sure when exactly I'll be sleeping, but sleep depravation never sounded so good. lol.

Allie, I can't wait for James Murphy too. I do miss LCD Sound System, though. Love them so much. Yeah, I saw all the planned activities. I agree, sleep will be nil on this sailing. LOL I'm excited about the DJ tutorial. I've always wanted to do my own dj-ing. I can bypass the wine tasting since we live in wine country and that's something we do all the time, but it sounds fun if James Murphy is hosting. The bar crawl sounds good too.

I've been looking at flights and prices have dropped a little bit but I think I might hold out and see if they drop a little more. But I may also shoot myself in the foot. Weighing whether I buy today or wait....

RumRunner,

I actually like the itinerary of the Bahamas cruise better, but the timing of the Jamaica cruise works better for us. My in-laws are in Florida so we we can go directly from the cruise to their house for the holidays.

I'm a little worried because our room is under the pool deck so I might be investing in a pair of ear plugs. Love the roll call idea. Hope someone does one for the Jamaica cruise! If anyone want to sample the lineup the link below has two songs from each artist.

http://ilovethisbeat.blogspot.com/2012/07/ss-coachella-listen-to-lineup.html

Allie, I checked out your playlist on your blog. Thank you for posting that since I was not familiar with a few of the bands. I have a good idea now of who I will not be interested in seeing. LOL I'm not a fan of hip hop so sounds like I can knock a couple bands right off the list since they had more of a hip hop sound.

Rumrunner,

So jealous! We used to live in SF and I miss it like crazy. We saw !!! at Mezzanine back when they still had their original drummer and vocalist. So we definitely want to see them and see how their new (to us) lineup sounds. I'm going to check kayak for flights, but I think we will probably go with Jet Blue. I'd rather pay slightly more for a direct flight and not feel nickel and dimed at every turn.

I love !!! and am excited to see them.

Ah, yes, I love SF. That is one of my most favorite cities! We are about 3 hours south and it's not a bad drive to go up for a weekend.

I'm thinking about Jet Blue since we will do a red eye. I have never flown them. They seem to have more comfy seats? Right now Virgin Atlantic is having good prices but when we flew them home from FLL in March I was not impressed. My husband liked it but I felt like a canned sardine and that does not sound appealing for an overnight flight. I also hate being nickel and dimed like some carriers like Allegiant and Spirit do.

• 2 weeks later...

Xenu, I've never been on this ship but have been on similar sized ships. I guess a lot depends on how many people might get in your way and if the deck goes all they way through from one end to the other or if you have to do the up and down thing to cross the ship. Typically pools are in the middle or back of the ship on near top decks. Buffet is usally on a top deck on the back of the ship. It's quick to get from the pool to the buffet, usually. On this ship it loosk like it's one deck up from the pool so it's probably a quick trip, a minute or two. Getting from buffet to night club looks like you are going down several decks and toward the front of the ship, could take 4-5 minutes depending on how many people are in the way and if you are using elevator or stairs. Going from the theater to the pool would mean going up several decks and toward the middle of the ship (theater is in the front). Again, this depends on how many people are in the way and if you are using elevator or stairs (elevator could mean a longer wait if busy but stairs could take a while unless you are running them LOL). The quickest route might be 4-5 minutes Hard to tell until you are on board and if you are going at the same time as everyone else.

Thanks. Looking forward to my first cruise.

Surprised this hasn't sold out. I think the price of the Veranda rooms are keeping a lot of people out of this.

RumRunner,

I actually like the itinerary of the Bahamas cruise better, but the timing of the Jamaica cruise works better for us. My in-laws are in Florida so we we can go directly from the cruise to their house for the holidays.

I'm a little worried because our room is under the pool deck so I might be investing in a pair of ear plugs. Love the roll call idea. Hope someone does one for the Jamaica cruise! If anyone want to sample the lineup the link below has two songs from each artist.

http://ilovethisbeat.blogspot.com/2012/07/ss-coachella-listen-to-lineup.html

Allie - I just started a Roll Call today for the Coachella Jamacia cruise today! Swing by and make a post!

Xenu, I agree, I think since the ship is mostly veranda cabins that the price of those is keeping people away. I think if there were more insides and outsides we might have seen these nearly sold out. But they are looking for a crowd who has the money for an event like this.

Amerry1, I'm glad you made a roll call for the Jamaica one. I have not had a lot of activity on the Bahamas one yet. But I know we have a lot of time to go and not a lot of people know about these Boards. I'm afraid to tell people on the Coachella site about these boards because I don't want the haters over here. LOL

I do think it's a niche market for this cruise. If this were a Venn diagram the overlap between groups that can afford a $4,000 cruise plus plane tickets and hotel and groups that know what South by Southwest and/or Burning Man is, is probably pretty small!

Xenu, I agree, I think since the ship is mostly veranda cabins that the price of those is keeping people away. I think if there were more insides and outsides we might have seen these nearly sold out. But they are looking for a crowd who has the money for an event like this.

Amerry1, I'm glad you made a roll call for the Jamaica one. I have not had a lot of activity on the Bahamas one yet. But I know we have a lot of time to go and not a lot of people know about these Boards. I'm afraid to tell people on the Coachella site about these boards because I don't want the haters over here. LOL

It looks like more inside rooms have magically appeared, or they are giving outside rooms at the inside rate now:

ISG Inside Stateroom (Guaranteed Rate)

Purchasing a stateroom in this category guarantees an Inside Stateroom rate. Room assignments will be done at the discretion of S.S. Coachella; you will not be advised of your actual room number until approximately 30 days before sailing.

Price listed is per-person based on double occupancy (not including fees). $500.00

Hmmmm, interesting about the additional inside cabins. Hopefully it's what Allie mentioned and cabins are back in the inventory. I hope they are not discounting the cabins - unless those of us who have already booked get the discount too.

This ship has very few inside and outside cabins so it's no wonder they went so fast. But now they are doing Guarantee Insides... so who knows, maybe people will pay for an inside and get a veranda? I hope not for those of us who have booked expensive cabins anyway, but on the other hand I want them to sell cabins out so they won't cancel this cruise for lack of cabin sales. Not sure if that would happen, though.

Hopefully the niche market for this type of cruise gets on board and books cabins so this is a success and continues in the future.

Rum Runner,

Agreed with both the sentiment of not wanting to see big discounts for the rooms (unless we get a big discount too!) but also not wanting it to be canceled for lack of interest. I do think it is tricky and I'm sure it would be sold out if it was on a less expensive line such as Carnival, but hopefully neither of the above will occur!

I hope it doesn't get cancelled but who knows what's going on with cabin sales. Maybe they need to promote it differently than the usual Coachella methods. They need to reach a different audience maybe? And Carnival isn't necessarily cheaper, I see some cruises on Celebrity and Princess cheaper than the same on Carnival. They have the reputation for being cheaper but when Royal Caribbean was on the west coast their fares were always cheaper than Carnival. Who knows, I know it's a big numbers game for chartered cruises.

Archived