Silhouette missing cruise on Dec 16 solved Coachella cruise

dkjretired

And the next cruise is the CHRISTMAS cruise I'm taking the entire family on? Looks like we may give the crew a little extra time before we rush to board!

Us too! So much for early boarding!!! It will be a shame if they trash the Christmas decorations. Oh well, no sense in worrying about it. It's Celebrity's problem to deal with.

So, I just texted my 16 year old to see if he know what Coachella was, and, of course, he did. I told him they had a cruise the week before us and his response was priceless.

"Just watch out for drunk and drugged stowaways!"

Now I have visions of opening my closet and finding someone passed out.

Actually, the more I read about this music festival, the more surprised I am that Celebrity is doing this. It doesn't feel consistent with the brand. Add to that, they are taking a huge risk with a new ship. And, the week before a Christmas cruise where people are paying top dollar, there will be a lot of unhappy campers if there is visible damage on the ship.

I keep reminding myself to breathe. There's nothing I can do about it but try to enjoy my cruise immediately after this chaos. But, what was Celebrity thinking? Wouldn't Carnival have been a more logical choice?

The cruise line will have to worry about clothes, period. At Coachella on the ground, there are a lot of very, very skimpy outfits and some with no clothes at all. "Show me your t***s" is heard all day long. As bad as Sturgis or Spring Break at Lake Havasu.

I am totally astounded Celebrity is allowing this. This is not the Blues Cruise, an oldies cruise, even Kid Rock's cruise (where every ounce of Jack the ship had was sold-they had to restock during the cruise).

If this isn't a charter (someone posted that), I sure wouldn't want to be on the cruise, even if it was free.

One thing you shouldn't have to worry about is trash. Coachella makes it's name by being a "green" festival and recycle, recycle, recycle is part of the mantra.

What's next? Is Burning Man at sea on the agenda???

Exactly, what age range will this attract?

I'm too old to know these bands. After sailing on the Silhouette twice already, I, too, am thinking what the ship will look like if what I'm reading on this thread is true. Sounds to me like a RC ship might have been better than a Celebrity ship, if RCI wanted to accommodate this event.

while other ships might have been more appropriate, the deed is done. The crew will have their work cut out for them and I am sure that they will be up to the task. You probably won't even notice anything different from a regular cruise when you board after the charter passengers disembark.

Exactly, what age range will this attract?

That's a great question. My teenage son knows about this music festival. I would think it may attract a college aged crowd, but that would be finals week for most so I suspect that is unlikely. (Maybe the second cruise would get some colleges who get out early). But you have to be 21, right? So, the 21 - 29 crowd? :confused:

I'm 41 and try to stay current but I honestly had no clue what this event was (like others, I was interested when I thought it was a Coach sales event!)

That's a great question. My teenage son knows about this music festival. I would think it may attract a college aged crowd, but that would be finals week for most so I suspect that is unlikely. (Maybe the second cruise would get some colleges who get out early). But you have to be 21, right? So, the 21 - 29 crowd? :confused:

I'm 41 and try to stay current but I honestly had no clue what this event was (like others, I was interested when I thought it was a Coach sales event!)

I'm 42, and knew who quite a few of these bands were(I own some CD's of one or two of the bands). I'm thinking that Celebrity is trying to go after the people who would want to go to Coachella but not too keen on camping. I like to say that I would've been rocking out at Woodstock, but I was two days old when it began, and I don't think mom and dad would take me(that and my parents were NOT hippies!). There is a glam/fashion aspect to the festival, as the young, hot, and beautiful of Hollywood and the fashion world flock to Coachella to see and be seen, and I'm thinking that's the demographic Celebrity is hoping to attract; the young, hot fashionistas and celebrity watchers who want to go to the Caribbean and not camp out at a festival.

When I saw yesterday Coachella was doing a cruise I wondered what ship and what cruise line they were doing it on as there wasn't any mention in the blurb I read. This morning when I saw that it was Celebrity I was shocked. Coachella and Celebrity does not make sense in my opinion.

I lived in the city here this is held. We live miles away from the Polo grounds but you can hear it all over the area. We do not go to the stores or out to eat went this is town.

There are a lot of arrest for drugs, drinking and rape!. This is one event I wish was not in our city, but the City fathers think it great. Going to the feast is very costly. I can't see the type of people that go to coachella the same type that go on cruises. I hope the ship does not get trashed but I would not be surprised.

Gosh, I hope she doesn't get trashed, we are sailing her on January 6th. Are these people really that bad???

Yeah, they can be quite bad. Read a lot about Coachella in various magazines and it looked and sounded more like a druggie's funhouse. Makes Woodstock look tame. Lots of drugs, lots of "free sex", lots of assaults and all that. It wouldn't surprise me if there were more than a couple of incidents involving people "falling off balconies".

Whomever from Coachella organized this needs to have their head examined, and the powers-that-be at Celebrity should be kicked in their collective behinds. This is not what Celebrity is all about, nor should it be. Why would they think that this type of "festival" would work on X? I can't see anything positive coming out of this.

But, will they enforce the dress code on this cruise or will the code be modified to allow string bikinis, thong suits and toplessness in the MDR for dinner?

Insanity run amok.

"Tickets will go on sale at 10 a.m. Pacific time Saturday for trips to the Bahamas on Dec. 16-19 and to Jamaica on Dec. 19-23. The cheapest fares for inside staterooms start at $500 per person for four or $750 per person for two. The highest price currently showing on the festival's website is $1,500 per person for two sharing a stateroom with a veranda.

Prices don't include taxes, tips, shore excursions and a whopping $200 booking fee"

And I'll bet there's no OBC offered:):):):)

It was me that originally asked who was chartering the ship since we were supposed to be on this cruise and instead got moved to the Reflection on the 15th. I am so glad now that they did indeed charter the whole ship as opposed to just having a very large group onboard as I would be incredibly ticked off if I had to endure a week of this. Guess I am in the old farts club as well (I'm 37) since I haven't heard of any of these so called bands either.

Not quite sure what Celebrity is trying to accomplish by booking this type of thing, but time will tell if it turns out to be a disaster. I am very grateful that I will not be cruising with, nor after, this charter on the Silhouette. Happy cruising to all that attend.

You'll be spending a lot less than they will --

$1500 per person, double occupancy, AQ, not including taxes or gratuities,

Plus $200 booking fee for a three night cruise

$1200 per person, quad occupancy, Concierge class, not including taxes or gratuities, plus $200 booking fee for same cruise

Prices higher for the four night cruise.

Of course, someone has to pay for the extra security and the extra cleaning.

And can you imagine if Noro breaks out? Oh, the horror!

You'll be spending a lot less than they will --

$1500 per person, double occupancy, AQ, not including taxes or gratuities,

Plus $200 booking fee for a three night cruise

$1200 per person, quad occupancy, Concierge class, not including taxes or gratuities, plus $200 booking fee for same cruise

Prices higher for the four night cruise.

Of course, someone has to pay for the extra security and the extra cleaning.

And can you imagine if Noro breaks out? Oh, the horror!

Don't forget to factor in the $100 pp Celebrity gave us for being bumped. Add that to the additional OBC we got since we booked while on the Eclipse. We have 2 rooms which brings the grand total to $600 OBC. I'll gladly take that and will do it with a smile :D.

And, I'm sure there will be some kind of illness. Either way, I feel sorry for the crew.

Guess I am in the old farts club as well (I'm 37) since I haven't heard of any of these so called bands either.

I have heard of a couple of them, most notably Pulp. You might remember lead singer Jarvis Cocker caused a bit of a furore at the Brit music awards a few years ago when he invaded the stage as Michael Jackson was performing Earth Song dressed like Jesus and Cocker appeared to blow a raspberry at proceedings.

Phil

I just noted you said you were a member of the old farts club. No offence intended. LOL

I have heard of a couple of them, most notably Pulp. You might remember lead singer Jarvis Cocker caused a bit of a furore at the Brit music awards a few years ago when he invaded the stage as Michael Jackson was performing Earth Song dressed like Jesus and Cocker appeared to blow a raspberry at proceedings.

Phil

I just noted you said you were a member of the old farts club. No offence intended. LOL

You're too funny!

Never heard of Jarvis Cocker. Now Joe Cocker, yes. ;)

A three nighter to the Bahamas and a four nighter to Jamaica with prices from $500 pp with four sharing a room. Celebrity are obviously desperate to fill their ships. I will be getting off Silhouette on the 16th December and wishing the crew the best of luck!

Phil

I'm with Phil!

I'm 42, and knew who quite a few of these bands were(I own some CD's of one or two of the bands). I'm thinking that Celebrity is trying to go after the people who would want to go to Coachella but not too keen on camping. I like to say that I would've been rocking out at Woodstock, but I was two days old when it began, and I don't think mom and dad would take me(that and my parents were NOT hippies!). There is a glam/fashion aspect to the festival, as the young, hot, and beautiful of Hollywood and the fashion world flock to Coachella to see and be seen, and I'm thinking that's the demographic Celebrity is hoping to attract; the young, hot fashionistas and celebrity watchers who want to go to the Caribbean and not camp out at a festival.

Exactly, this is what I was wondering in my earlier post. If you go to the message boards on the Coachella website they are all complaining about how expensive the cruise is. Well, I think it's a good value considering what you get. I am 44 and love this music, I know many of the bands and would jump at an opportunity to see them in a setting where there are not tens of thousands of people and it's hot and dirty. And the cruise is 21+. I would hope that this would be a different caliber of festival goers and not the ones who trash everything. I think the stereotypical festival goer won't have the money for this, and I bet a lot of them won't even have passports.

My husband and I are planning on going on this cruise and I am excited as it will be my first Celebrity cruise (we have done mostly Royal Caribbean). I will make sure I post more about it as I learn, and a review afterwards.

Archived