Overnight train from Paris to Venice

We will have a lot of luggage and are worried about getting it on the train, storing it in the compartment, etc. Does anyone know if these trains have luggage compartments (for a charge)? Or my mom heard of a service that will take our luggage from Paris to Venice. Has anyone used this?

Thanks,

LishaD

Your doing something I have wanted to do for sometime. Fly into Europe and take the train to the port. Either I'm limited on time or I don't quit have my wife convined that riding the trains in Europe is not a problem.

Some trains have space for your luggage but it depends on the type of train. I probably with you I would like to have my belongings in a secured place. I have heard that there is a sevice that will send you luggage ahead. I talked to a couple in 2002 who flew into Frankfurt and had their luggage sent ahead to Vienna. I'm sure someone will know more than I do. Have a good trip. Tim

Hi, again, LishaD,

You're taking the EuroNight (EN) train from Paris-Bercy to Venezia S.Lucia dep 20:28 arr 08:55, correct? (Pretty easy stuff to figure out when you've trained in Europe before)

Here's a basic blurb about the train:

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/specialty/artesia_night.htm

Here's a somewhat more descriptive excerpt:

Artesia De Nuit

Services Paris-Rome, Paris-Venice, Paris-Milan and Paris-Florence.

Accommodations consist of first class compartments for 1 or 2 persons and second class compartments for 2 or 3. 6 bed couchettes are also available in second class.

First class passengers can take advantage of "Club Eurostar Service".

Eurail Pass and Eurail Tickets are accepted.

Reservations are required.

Here's a fairly decent FAQ about European trains:

http://www.raileurope.fr/faq/trains.php

I assume you and your mom are in a private compartment. Think Honey I Shrunk the Dorm Room. It'll be teeny, with an upper and lower berth. But, those train makers are amazing when it comes to storage solutions! There will be plenty of room to stow your luggage and more. May I suggest that before you board, you figure out what you want to sleep in, wear the next day, etc., and segregate those items into a separate bag from your primary luggage. Then, all you have to do is store it and forget about it, just go in/out of your small bags.

If, instead, you reserved a couchette, you will probably want to use bicycle/similar locks for keeping your belongings secure. Check Rick Steves' graffiti boards for ideas?

I love overnight trains--the sway, the clickety-clack, I sleep like a baby on them. Note, not everyone does. If either of you is a sensitive sleeper, take appropriate measures!

I have traveled by train in Italy,but not on an overnight.The Eurostat first class.Had to leave luggage at the end of the coach,and I used a cable lock that I got from Magellan's that I could thread through all our luggage,and around one of the luggage bars.Worked like a charm and I did not feel the need to get up and keep checking to make sure luggage was still there.Should work great for you if you have a lot of luggage and need to share space.

Hello again Artemus, (It looks like my funds will come through and I will be able to wear more than the jackets to dinner:cool: ).

I am on that train in 1st class. We will have two large suitcases, two hang up bags, and two carry ons. Do you think it will fit in the compartment (if we're able to actually get it all on the trains ourselves) ? A co-worker of my mother's just got back from a trip to Europe and thinks that we won't.

Cberge: any idea if they have those luggage areas on the overnights?

Thanks,

LishaD

Hello again Artemus, (It looks like my funds will come through and I will be able to wear more than the jackets to dinner:cool: ).

I am on that train in 1st class. We will have two large suitcases, two hang up bags, and two carry ons. Do you think it will fit in the compartment (if we're able to actually get it all on the trains ourselves) ? A co-worker of my mother's just got back from a trip to Europe and thinks that we won't.

Cberge: any idea if they have those luggage areas on the overnights?

Thanks,

LishaD

Since you are going first class you should have an area for your luggage if it won't all fit in your compartment...just make sure you lock it all together with a cable lock.There should be porter's at the train station to help you,but you may have to search them out at either end.You may want to ask the conductor if he can help you find one as well.I don't know how long your cruise is,but you may want to see if you can eliminate one of your suitcases,and travel a little lighter. Easier said than done I know. Good luck.

We will be in Europe for 10 days before our cruise and are planning on taking the overnight train every night. Only we are traveling light we are only taking a backpack each so we won't have the problems you are.

The last time I went to Europe with my daughter we had too much luggage and it was heavy and that was hard to get on and off the trains. We had to leave it at the end of the compartment and lock it with a bike lock. You might want to lighten up the amount you are taking to make it easier. After my last time I will never try and take that much overseas again especially on the trains.

One other observation, I have used trains extensively in France and porters are not easy to find. It would be best not to plan on exiting a taxi and immediately having someone ask to help you with your baggage.

• 2 weeks later...

We did this train. Keep your bags in compartment with you for safety.

Make sure all your bags are rolling bags and you handle them. When you get to Venice exit the station to the far left which is the handicapped ramp. In front of you to the left is a water taxi stand. Take a water taxi to the ship dock. (Costs about $60 Euros but well worth it. The portere from the ship will handle your luggage from there. wAtch out for pidckpockets in the train station.

Have fun...

In front of you to the left is a water taxi stand. Take a water taxi to the ship dock. (Costs about $60 Euros but well worth it. The portere from the ship will handle your luggage from there.

Wow, 60 Euro? Did the Taxi skipper take the long way? If I remember correctly, if you exit the train station and head up the canal to the right, well, the cruise ships dock just around the corner, not that far at all. If, on the other hand the skipper took you to the left and down the Grand Canal and then back up the other way I can see how it would cost 60 euro. The long way is a very nice ride, I will admit.

Archived