How do we liven up this board?

Banditswife

Hi Carol

The largest cruise ship that we have been on is the Solstice--2850 pax. The smallest-- Spirit of '98--100 pax. This ship was used in Kevin Costner movie about Wyatt Earp(he went to Alaska during gold rush). This ship was also used by Sue Henry in one of her mystery novels. DW and I have enjoyed them all. Solstice was our 1st big ship. Not sure if we would like the Allure.

We are looking forward to Panama Canal trip. Century has 1800 pax.

Beth, if you like reading mysteries that take place in countries that you visit, try reading 1 of Gunnar Staalesen's books--available in translation at Amazon. They take place in Bergen, Norway.

Tom:)

Largest ship I've been on so far was the Solstice's sister ship the Eclipse.

Smallest was Windjammer Barefoot Cruises' Flying Cloud with 68 pax.

I've already purchased one or two Staalesen books as e-books but haven't started reading them yet. Guess I'd better do that soon.

Beth

Been on the Solstice's sister Silhouette - I think the Brilliance is the right size for us -

honestly, I thought the Allure was amazing and was surprised to find that it wasn't all that crowded in one area for being that huge - guess it has so many places for folks to go to that they were able to spread around and not crowd one particular area - except when there were parades in the main promenade!! going in and out of the ports were totally organized - much better than the Explorer/Freedom classes -

Embarkation and Disemb. were painless - never had to wait in line from the time we got to the pier, baggage checkin, pax checkin, etc... straight into the ship we went - well, maybe I have to say, being a D+ helped a bit.

the stateroom was smaller - D1's on the other ships were larger with more storage, drawers and better closet location - the bathroom was smaller too -

If Narce and I were to plan a cruise, we would not go on the Allure or Oasis unless we are with friends or family - we would go on the Brilliance / or the other 2 classes slightly bigger ... I was missing the "Centrum" on the Explorer/Freedom/Allure - I like being on a higher level and look down on some of the folks who dance while they wait for dinner or have come from dinner - the Brilliance and other smaller ships have th Centrum-

the smallest ship we have been on was the Fair Princess - Alaska cruise - it was old but so quaint - we loved it - 800 pax - very intimate.. it was built in 1957 and the twin beds stayed put - they could not be put together!! ha!ha! that's ok -

I am busy with another trip - we are leaving end of the month for our annual trip to the Philippines to visit family and then Honolulu for 8 days after being in the Philippines for a week - 4 days after we get home, we will go on the Navigator - soooo - trying to figure out how to pack so that my cruise suitcase will be done before Jan is over - I know I won't be able to do anything within 4 days -

the Allure was an experience - glad I was on her - hubby said he won't mind going on the Oasis just to say we tried both ships - will have to be with a group of friends or our nieces/nephews -- my goal also is to be on the Liberty - so many people favor that ship ...

carol

This is my first post on this thread...but I am happy to have found one that looks like it is just for chatting. :)

I am 55 years old and I have been on only 2 cruises so far -both with my hubby of 33 years. They were the Ruby Princess (3 years ago -for our 30th anniversary) and the Celebrity Equinox (1 year ago -just because...). I still work (and LOVE it). I am a primary school teacher. :)

I have read some of the recent and some of the earliest posts, but not them all.

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas!

Hi Kiwis: so glad you joined our little group here - please feel free to come in anytime and talk about anything and everything - not just about cruises but anything!! I am glad you like your cruises - I can't stop thinking about them - inbetween cruises, I love chatting with folks from Cruise Critic - reading about their plans, etc.

Hope the New Year will be good to you and all of us!! carol

Largest ship I've been on so far was the Solstice's sister ship the Eclipse.

Smallest was Windjammer Barefoot Cruises' Flying Cloud with 68 pax.

I've already purchased one or two Staalesen books as e-books but haven't started reading them yet. Guess I'd better do that soon.

Beth

i think you and I will be gone the same time - !! where in Fl will you be meeting with your cousins? you probably said and I missed it - Have fun - !! can't stop thinking aout your Norway trip too - only been once = Best of Europe cruise = took the bus and saw whatever we could during the time the ship was there - lovey place! carol

Hi Carol

The largest cruise ship that we have been on is the Solstice--2850 pax. The smallest-- Spirit of '98--100 pax. This ship was used in Kevin Costner movie about Wyatt Earp(he went to Alaska during gold rush). This ship was also used by Sue Henry in one of her mystery novels. DW and I have enjoyed them all. Solstice was our 1st big ship. Not sure if we would like the Allure.

We are looking forward to Panama Canal trip. Century has 1800 pax.

Beth, if you like reading mysteries that take place in countries that you visit, try reading 1 of Gunnar Staalesen's books--available in translation at Amazon. They take place in Bergen, Norway.

You are almost leaving for your Cruise!!! Have fun! did the Panama Canal cruise in 2001 for our 25th anniversary celebration - it was fun - I would like to go again - and relive going thru the lockes -

I know you will be taking lots of pics - looking forward to seeing those! carol

Anxious to read a report/review on this Mega ship.:)

We have been on some nice ship (various cruise lines), but we are to go on the Caribbean Princess this next year, and I understand it is a large ship, so we'll see.;)

There are a lot of reviews on the Allure - let me see if I can find the one I like - he has lots of nice pics too -

I tend to ramble and do mish mash types of postings!! ha!ha! carol

Happy New Year everyone, haven't been on for a while

Hope it was nice Holiday to everyone.

Gloria

--and same to you!! hope 2013 will bring us all good health - and happiness - that's all that counts - well, maybe some extra $$ for more cruises! carol

Well, it is middle of the summer here just now and lovely! The temperatures are around 26 but in our backyard they often reach a lot higher than that. I think it is all to do with where the weather peeps take their measurements from.

I have loved having the time to start each day with a long walk -usually 7kms or so. But I have to start as early in the morning as possible, as it gets a bit hot later in the day.

I am on holiday (school's out for about 6 weeks for the kids and about 5 weeks for teachers) but I am already planning for the start of the new school year. I spend ages on the net looking for new and fun ideas to use with my class. This year I will be teaching 8-9 year olds.

I see a few of you are getting close to another cruise! Yay! I bet you are getting excited even though you have done quite a few.

Hope you all have a great day in your part of the world. :)

Mary

Carol, you will be one traveling woman over the next weeks!!

My cousins are gathering in Gulf Breeze, FL which is just south of Pensacola. One of the cousins lives there. We will be there at different times, but we will all be there from February 17 - 22nd.

Beth

Carol, you will be one traveling woman over the next weeks!!

My cousins are gathering in Gulf Breeze, FL which is just south of Pensacola. One of the cousins lives there. We will be there at different times, but we will all be there from February 17 - 22nd.

Beth

I'll be home on the 17th and leaving on the 22nd - sounds like you will have a good time - Yes, I know where Pensacola is located - one of these days, Narce and I can go around FL and just take our time traveling... when he's retired.

My mind goes blank when I try to think of how I am to pack for all these destinations for the next two months-!! ha!ha! but I have to do it -

Carol

Well, it is middle of the summer here just now and lovely! The temperatures are around 26 but in our backyard they often reach a lot higher than that. I think it is all to do with where the weather peeps take their measurements from.

I have loved having the time to start each day with a long walk -usually 7kms or so. But I have to start as early in the morning as possible, as it gets a bit hot later in the day.

I am on holiday (school's out for about 6 weeks for the kids and about 5 weeks for teachers) but I am already planning for the start of the new school year. I spend ages on the net looking for new and fun ideas to use with my class. This year I will be teaching 8-9 year olds.

I see a few of you are getting close to another cruise! Yay! I bet you are getting excited even though you have done quite a few.

Mary

Sounds like you love your job and that's great - My niece in Hawaii teaches first grade - her 7th year and that's the only class she's ever taught since she started teaching - I love her stories - the little boys ask her out for dates - they show her $$ and tell her they can afford to take her out to dinner and the movies - cute...

Yes, I love our cruises and land trips as well - one of these days, we would love to either cruise to or fly and do land trip to Australia and New Zealand -

It's cold here today - mid 30's last night - to some that's not cold, but for us here in CA, it's freezing - it's sunny out but temps are in the 50's -- still cold for me!

Carol

Mary

I have a CC friend who lives just inland from Adelaide, Australia, and she says they are having temps over 40 C. From everything I've read Australia is having one of the hottest summers ever. I gather New Zealand is faring a bit better than that.

Beth

Hi All,

Beth, I have a friend who teaches in North Carolina! (I saw that as your home on the avatar -is that what it's even called?) Anyway, she got a job in Fayetteville, near Rawleigh. She moved there from NZ about 18 months ago to have the challenge and excitement of teaching in another part of the world. I see the temperatures over your way are pretty cold just now. Do you get snow where you live?

Yes, Australia is having a shocker of a summer just now. We lived in Melbourne when we were first married and the hot summers are a challenge -especially when you can't afford air con in your car or home as was the case for us back then. We have family who still live there -both in Melbourne and over on the west coast. I hope your friend in Adelaide is doing ok.

Carol, it is a lot of fun teaching all the different year levels. Over my time I have taught every year from New Entrants (5 year olds) to Year 8 (going on 13 years old). But the youngest are a special challenge. I bet your niece has a story to tell daily.

It's another very lovely day here -27 outside just now. I love summer!

Well, I am enjoying getting to "know" you all and I hope that you enjoy your day wherever you are.:)

Mary

Ha ha -I just noticed where to change the fonts etc. Be prepared for the text to look different every time I write on the thread. Lol.

Mary, Fayetteville is about 125 miles SW of where I live. I live about 25 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, and the climate here is mild in the winter. By mild I mean that it rarely gets below 30 F in the winter and only snows every 3 or 4 years. Even then it doesn't snow much and melts quickly. This week we've had temperatures in the upper 60s and lower 70s F which is a bit high but not much. Last week it was in the low 50s.

I moved here last June when I retired. Before that I lived 400 miles west in the mountains where it did get very cold. Some winters we had a good bit of snow. My late husband and I bought the condo where I live several years ago, but we couldn't move here until I retired. He died in May 2011 at age 88. He was 18 years older than I am.

Now, summers in the mountains were mild, but summers here are very hot, and it was in the high 90s several times last summer.

I love living here, because I'm near the ocean, and the small city (30,000) sits on a beautiful river.

I have made good friends on CC, some of whom I've cruised with and others not. Several years ago I became CC friends with a group of about 16 women who live in the UK. They would meet in person from time to time, and in 2009 I flew over and met 10 of them for a weekend in Cardiff. I then stayed a couple of nights with one of the women in Scotland and met another of the group. After that I spent some time in Scotland on my own. We still stay in touch here on CC and have a private forum elsewhere, too.

I've also met a group of women who cruise solo and met two of them in person last November on a cruise and am going on a Norway Coastal Voyage with one of them in March. Nine of us have booked the Presidential Suite on the Freedom of the Seas next December.

Then there are others I've yet to meet in person but who are friends.

And, then there's someone like Carol who I met on a transatlantic in 2006.

Well, I do go on. It's what happens when you live alone! :eek::D:D

Beth

that's ok for you 'to go on...' Beth - love reading these kinds of postings -

same with you Mary - !!

right now it's mid high 40's and it's freezing - for me!! the sun was out but still cold temps - not raining tho' - the rain doesn't bother me, unless it's windy and stormy - lately it's been foggy which I also hate esp when I was working and hard to see over the hood of my car.

Mary - i can't imagine being in -27 temps!!

Hard to believe when we cruise in Dec/Jan that it's cold here and we are enjoying the typical tropical island temps - then we come home and face reality!

Just a quiet Sat for us - got up late, went to Mass and came home to watch the SF 49er's win their game -

I'd better print out my Docs for the Feb cruise before I forget and end up doing it last min - !! I haven't even signed up for the Meet & Mingle .

I loved the Freedom, Beth - actually, I love whatever ship I am on!

just a little about me for Mary - married 37 yrs this coming Jan 28, no kids - I am an only child but hubby has 9 siblings - and his family members are about 90+ now - that's immediate family counting just the siblings, their kids and grands...very overwhelming for me but they are a lot of fun - scattered all over the USA and 2 older sisters who have returned to the PHilippines to live cuz their Dad returned to live there in the mid 80's after being in CA...

I am in my early 60's and with time flying by so fast, I'll be in my late 60's before I know it!

I retired in 2005 and have been enjoying it -

Carol

that's ok for you 'to go on...' Beth - love reading these kinds of postings -

same with you Mary - !!

right now it's mid high 40's and it's freezing - for me!! the sun was out but still cold temps - not raining tho' - the rain doesn't bother me, unless it's windy and stormy - lately it's been foggy which I also hate esp when I was working and hard to see over the hood of my car.

Mary - i can't imagine being in -27 temps!!

Hard to believe when we cruise in Dec/Jan that it's cold here and we are enjoying the typical tropical island temps - then we come home and face reality!

Just a quiet Sat for us - got up late, went to Mass and came home to watch the SF 49er's win their game -

I'd better print out my Docs for the Feb cruise before I forget and end up doing it last min - !! I haven't even signed up for the Meet & Mingle .

I loved the Freedom, Beth - actually, I love whatever ship I am on!

just a little about me for Mary - married 37 yrs this coming Jan 28, no kids - I am an only child but hubby has 9 siblings - and his family members are about 90+ now - that's immediate family counting just the siblings, their kids and grands...very overwhelming for me but they are a lot of fun - scattered all over the USA and 2 older sisters who have returned to the PHilippines to live cuz their Dad returned to live there in the mid 80's after being in CA...

I am in my early 60's and with time flying by so fast, I'll be in my late 60's before I know it!

I retired in 2005 and have been enjoying it -

Carol

Hi Carol

Liz and I are in our mid 60s and are both retired. We have 2 children--a son, single, and a daughter w. 3 children. Two of our 3 grans have Cystic Fibrosis, a genetic, incurable, terminal disease w. a median survival age of 37(medical term that means 50% die before age 37). The usual cause of death is lung failure while awaiting a lung transplant. I am an organ donor and encourage everyone to do the same.

There have been incremental improvements--median survival age was 31 in 2000 when Julia was born.

We will be attending a Keating family reunion this summer in Ireland. My gr-grandfather had 18 children(3 wives--1st 2 died) and there are a lot of us. As far as I can tell, no other Keatings have CF. The CF gene may have come from Liz--too expensive for us to be tested, according to CF doctors and not worth it, since we aren't having any more kids.

We are having a warm spell in western NY--temps high 40s-low 50s. All of the snow has melted away.

Tom, all of my ancestors came to America in the 1600s and early 1700s. They came from Scotland via the Ulster Plantation in Ireland and then over here, from England and one line from Germany. My ancestors who came first were Richard and Isabella Smyth Pace who came to Jamestown less than 10 years after it was founded. Look him up online, and you'll find out how Richard saved Jamestown from being destroyed by the natives!

They all eventually made their way west and were in Tennessee at the Mississippi River by 1830-1840 when that was still the wilderness and the frontier in many ways. With the exception of one line which is my Glass line (my name), I have information going back as far as the 15th C in a couple of cases and the 16th C in most.

My grandfather Glass was married 4 times with my grandmother being the 4th and last. He was widowed twice and divorced once. Not as many children as your great grandfather, though. 4 by the first 3 wives and 5 by my own grandmother. All are long gone including the oldest grandchild which now makes me at 72 the oldest of my generation. That seems very strange as I'm convinced I'm still that little girl who ran around playing in my grandparents' yard.

I am fascinated by genealogy and am thankful for having as much information as I do.

Beth

Edited by ILoveScotland

I better NOT up my family tree - I have too many relatives that I know of already!! ha!ha! lately, I have been connecting with a lot of my Dad's cousins' children - my age... and it's been fun trying to figure out how we are related, who we are connected to, etc etc.. One lady has been trying to get in touch with our aunt, and I had to tell her sadly that our aunt passed last Sept - we both knew our aunt very well, but not each other, so now we have gotten acquainted and it feels so good to know I have a cousin, maybe she is my 3rd or 4th, but that's ok, we are of the same last name (maiden names) and of the same blood so we will be close from now on - she has been in Vancouver for over 40 yrs...

Tom and LIz - I totally support the idea of donating your organs - I hope your grandkids will outlive the forecast and go on and on with more years than what the medical folks are saying -

Still cold here - 30's at night mid 40's in the afternoons - my hands are cold altho' our heater is on - even typing isn't getting my fingers warmed up!

Maybe I should try drinking a hot cup of cocoa or coffee and hold that mug to get some heat on my hands!!!ha!ha!

carol

Thanks Carol.

As for marriage, Liz and I will celebrate 43rd anniversary in March. I have 2 siblings, both of which are attending the reunion.

Beth, Liz' ancestors in the US go back to about 1640s. There was a Brown who married ca 1800 who had many children- 1 of which is Liz' ancestor and another was John Brown of Harper's Ferry fame. Liz' gr-grandfather was a doctor in Elmira. One of his patients was Samuel Clemens.

Tom

Thanks Carol.

As for marriage, Liz and I will celebrate 43rd anniversary in March. I have 2 siblings, both of which are attending the reunion.

Beth, Liz' ancestors in the US go back to about 1640s. There was a Brown who married ca 1800 who had many children- 1 of which is Liz' ancestor and another was John Brown of Harper's Ferry fame. Liz' gr-grandfather was a doctor in Elmira. One of his patients was Samuel Clemens.

Tom

wow - last yr and the yr before, my friends and then hubby and I were in Virginia City in NV just wandering about - and I took pics of a set up- olden cowboys days scene with Mark Twain and his friends -

I have two more week before we leave again - I'd better start doing something constructive -- like packing!

carol

Thanks Carol.

Tom

Wow! I have only the one more or less famous ancestor that I know of, but I am fascinated to know the various progression of people through the ages that make up who I am. I am also not proud of all my ancestors. A distant cousin whom I have only met online found the will of an ancestor (4 x great grandfather I think). He lived in NC, and the will is filled with his bequests of his slaves to his son and others.

Well, today is going to be high 70s, so I think I'm going to drive over to look at the ocean. I know a place where there are benches where I can sit without going out onto the beach, so I'll take a book and maybe pick up some fast food and have lunch and try to see Africa. And, yes it's Africa, because this is the area where the coastline cuts to the west, and the beaches run NE to SW.

Hope everyone else is having a good day.

Beth

Reading about your ancestors is fascinating. I feel like if we were to research back far enough, some of mine could have known some of yours.

Tom -we are "Browns" on my husband's side. Pretty common name though. That must have been tough on your daughter and all of you, to discover there was CF in the family. I am going to read up a bit more on that.

Beth -my mother is from Scotland and lives in NZ now. I have never been there but it is a trip that might be somewhere in the future. My dad was from Ireland.

We have no trips planned for the near future as hubby was made redundant so he is doing whatever he can (labouring jobs for friends and friends of friends) for a while. Hopefully he will get another job in the near future, although all this manual labour is making him very fit so that's good!

We took our DD and her BF (he lives with us) to Disneyland CA and Las Vegas last July when she turned 21, and DH and I went on our 2nd cruise this time last year, so we don't feel hard done by. We try to just "go with the flow" in the meantime.

Carol, I think you are home but about to go off again. Have a great time!

Have a great day everyone, wherever you are! :)

Now to have fun with the fonts! Ha ha ha!

Mary