Dive Operators in St. Thomas

cruzbound

Just wanted to throw our a recommendation for Admiralty Dive Center on St. Thomas. My fiance and I dove with them for over a week in Feb of this year, and they were a first-class dive operation. We chose them based on TripAdvisor reviews of the various dive operations on the island, and we couldn't have been happier with the experiences they gave us.

We're currently planning a cruise that will take us to St. Thomas next year, and you can bet that we'll be diving with Admiralty the day we're in port there.

The only problem with Admiralty is that they can't meet the schedule of some of the cruise ships due to their location. I wanted to try them on my visit there last month, but they said we got in too late to do a morning two-tank dive and that we would get back only 30 minutes before the gangway was pulled doing the afternoon dive. That didn't work for me, so instead I went to Blue Island and got in three dives and was back an hour early.

The only problem with Admiralty is that they can't meet the schedule of some of the cruise ships due to their location. I wanted to try them on my visit there last month, but they said we got in too late to do a morning two-tank dive and that we would get back only 30 minutes before the gangway was pulled doing the afternoon dive. That didn't work for me, so instead I went to Blue Island and got in three dives and was back an hour early.

Oh no, bad luck! On two of our dive days, we picked up some divers at the cruise ship dock who had just gotten into port on our way out to the dive sites. I guess it just depends on your ship's schedule!

Glad you found something else that worked out for you!

Okay, I checked with Admiralty and they said we could do a dive within the time period we are in port with them in March 2013 - so with that said, let me here everyone's thoughts on Admiralty and Blue Island Divers - these seem to be my two best choices. One question that might help me lean one way or the other is, do either one of them allow you to dive by air consumption or is it by time? I do not use a lot of air so on a normal 45 minute timed dive, I am coming up with 1100-1200 psi still - which is kind of a bummer.

Thanks!

When we were there last month, Blue Island let my buddy and I do our own thing, mainly because I'm a divemaster. We had about an hour for each dive and we basically came back when we had seen everything and my buddy was low on air--which usually is about 100 psi. I generally still had at least 1000 psi, but I have gills. LOL The rest of the group were new divers but they seemed to have a good long dive, too, although I'm sure several were blowing through their air.

When we were there last month, Blue Island let my buddy and I do our own thing, mainly because I'm a divemaster. We had about an hour for each dive and we basically came back when we had seen everything and my buddy was low on air--which usually is about 100 psi. I generally still had at least 1000 psi, but I have gills. LOL The rest of the group were new divers but they seemed to have a good long dive, too, although I'm sure several were blowing through their air.

:eek:

100 psi? Was that a typo or did the dive op actually let yall do that? I've been looking at the St. Thomas dive threads because DW and I will be booking a cruise there on the Carnival Breeze. Not that the above matters, really, it just kinda caught my eye. We are still basically rookie divers and I try to keep a nice reserve. My SAC rate has definitely improved, but I want to be like some of those in our dive club who can make an Al 80 last forever.

The dive op in Grand Cayman, Don Fosters, pretty much insisted on at least 750 psi at the end of a dive or they wouldn't let you do another that day.

Yep, he often drops that low--big barrel chest and he takes in a lot of air. I was with him and I always have plenty of extra air so there's no problem. I did chastise him about being that low, however.

Like I said, we were allowed to do our own thing, which is the only way I like to dive. No one tells me how much air I must have when getting back on the boat. I know what I need and that's all that's important. Typically, however, I'm climbing back on with 1,000+ after an hour. The only dive where I got back with 610 was our 80-foot dive in Nassau where we did a long bottom time.

Okay, I checked with Admiralty and they said we could do a dive within the time period we are in port with them in March 2013 - so with that said, let me here everyone's thoughts on Admiralty and Blue Island Divers - these seem to be my two best choices. One question that might help me lean one way or the other is, do either one of them allow you to dive by air consumption or is it by time? I do not use a lot of air so on a normal 45 minute timed dive, I am coming up with 1100-1200 psi still - which is kind of a bummer.

Thanks!

I think it depends on who else is diving with you and all that. I can only speak for Admiralty but in the 8 dives we did with them, only one was "timed." That was a day there was a pretty large group (I think there were about 8 of us), all experienced divers, but they took us to a plane wreck sitting at ~110'. I think that was the easiest way to keep track of everyone and to make sure everyone had enough time for a safety stop, and I came up with 800psi or so left. Would have liked to have stayed longer, it was a great dive, but oh well.

Otherwise, for the rest of the dives, the divemaster just sent people up individually as their air got low. I got in more than one 70ish-minute dive, and that was nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been booking with Admiralty for the last 8 or so years and the only time we have all come up together is on a deep dive. Other than that is computer diving.

Another bonus to diving with Admiralty is they are finding and diving new sites. You really can't go wrong with them. They are a great group to use.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been with both Blue Island and Coki - it depends on what kind of diving you prefer to do.

Blue Island is great, but they tend to do more dives like the offshore wrecks, and my creaky knees really aren't up for that anymore. Also, if you have to walk to the boat from Crown Bay, it's quite a way if you have your gear with you (and we do).

We went out with Coki on our last trip to St. Thomas, and did two totally relaxed boat dives on absolutely beautiful reef. We're planning on heading back there on our next trip.

Have a great time wherever you choose to dive!

Wendy

• 1 month later...
Thanks! I'll contact them and see what they have as an option. I also found Aqua Action Dive out of Secret Harbor and may go with them. Their Discover Scuba does dive off a boat and not just off a beach so that's a plus. Sounds like you've had good luck w/ Blue Island and I really appreciate the recommendation.

My son's FIL has used Aqua Action Dive on numerous dives and recommends them. My son and I plan to try them in March 2013.

Mikel1733

What date are you going to be in St Thomas in March? We will be there on March 18th and are considering Aqua Action too. I am trying to make a final decision between them and Blue Island. I also heard Red Hook is very good but they don't supply pickup at the port.

Cruzbound

Just wanted to throw our a recommendation for Admiralty Dive Center on St. Thomas. My fiance and I dove with them for over a week in Feb of this year, and they were a first-class dive operation. We chose them based on TripAdvisor reviews of the various dive operations on the island, and we couldn't have been happier with the experiences they gave us.

We're currently planning a cruise that will take us to St. Thomas next year, and you can bet that we'll be diving with Admiralty the day we're in port there.

Couldn't agree more. We loved Admirality and wouldn't go with anyone else while in St Thomas.

http://admiraltydive.com/

Has anyone used Coki Beach Dive? I thought I could enjoy the beach while my husband dives.

My DW and I just dove with Coki Beach a couple weeks ago on our Victory cruise. They were great. We did a 2 tank beach dive. Very relaxing!! They also offer boat dives as well and will go just about anywhere that you want to dive. Very accommodating and pleasant.

My DW and I just dove with Coki Beach a couple weeks ago on our Victory cruise. They were great. We did a 2 tank beach dive. Very relaxing!! They also offer boat dives as well and will go just about anywhere that you want to dive. Very accommodating and pleasant.

Glad you enjoyed it! We're looking forward to it as a relaxing end to a busy cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from a Princess cruise and was in St. Thomas last Saturday. I highly recommend Admiralty Divers!!! The staff was so wonderful, both pleasant and professional. We did a 2 tank dive to reefs not normally used and they were wonderful! Lots of sealife and beautiful coral. The divemasters pointed out so many creatures hidden under ledgers or camouflaged that I would not have seen otherwise! You won't be disappointed in any way with Admiralty Divers!

I wholeheartedly second the recommendation of Admiralty! Wonderful operation!

• 5 weeks later...
I wholeheartedly second the recommendation of Admiralty! Wonderful operation!

I agree. If you are looking for a boat dive this is the operator to choose. If you are with a mixed group, meaning divers/non-divers, then a beach dive at Coki Beach is a good compromise.

just dove with Coki beach divers on Dec 26. Great beach dive, saw fish, corals, rays, and a reef shark. Good equipment, by the book divemaster, protected cove. Non divers and snorkelers can hang on the beach or paddle along at the surface. Friendly, not mobbed like other beaches, nice drive to/from -- have to pass Sapphire beach, for example.

Archived