Newbie to Bermuda

joyceluvsjames

Hello, although I've cruised before, this is my first time visiting Bermuda. Any recommendations? We will be docked there for 3 days and we are not sure all of what the island has to offer.

Any info would be great. What was your best experience in Bermuda? Please share! We are really looking forward to this trip.

Like I said, we've cruised before but it's always been island hopping so this is a little new for us.

You will love being docked in Bermuda for 3 days. It makes the whole cruise much more relaxing. Search this board for ideas of what to see and do in Bermuda. The Bus and Ferry pass if a great bargin. It is $20 for two days and $28 for three. We usually get the two day pass and then stick close to the Dockyard on the sail away day so we don't miss the ship. Gibbs Lighthouse, Horseshoe Beach, Tobacco Bay for snorkling, St. George town walking tour, sea glass beach, caves, Aquarium, Museum right at the Dockyard, just to mention a few things. Get yourself a Frommer's Bermuda Guide at the bookstore. You can find about just about anything on this part of this site. It is a great resource. There is a list on one link on this site that lists everything there is to do in Bermuda. Just search this Bermuda, Port of Call, portion.

Bermuda.com ...............

Frommer's Guide for Bermuda..................

Fedor's Guide for Bermuda ...................

tripadvisor.com ................................

Carefully reading the Bermuda board here on CruiseCritic.....

Enjoy your trip - Miriam

Bermuda.com ...............

Frommer's Guide for Bermuda..................

Fedor's Guide for Bermuda ...................

tripadvisor.com ................................

Carefully reading the Bermuda board here on CruiseCritic.....

Enjoy your trip - Miriam

Here are some suggested 'to dos'-

Along the South Shore about 30 minutes from Hamilton and 30 minutes from the Dockyard:

• go to the beach, most popular -
    (#7);
  • walk the beach path that connects 5 beaches, start at Horseshoe, end at Warwick Bay (#7);
  • go horseback riding on beach/rail trail (#8);
  • climb a lighthouse - Gibbs L/H (#7),
  • off the beach snorkeling at
    (not protected), near Horseshoe Bay;

Hamilton, at or nearby:

St George or convenient to when visiting there:

• visit the caves - Crystal & Fantasy (#1, #3, #10 or #11);
  • visit Blue Hole Park nature reserve (#1, #3, #10 or #11);
  • visit historical St George, a UNESCO World Heritage Center, (#1, #3, #10 or #11);
    (well protected), near St George;
  • see the Unfinished Church, St George;
  • watch the wench dunking, King's Square, St George. Mon - Thurs @ noon (thxs to CC mbr Nana G);
  • visit fort: Fort St Catherine, St George;

Dockyard, at or nearby:

Close to the Dockyard but not within walking distance:

• go golfing - Port Royal Golf Course, closest to Dockyard (#7 or #8);
  • try hiking/biking the Railway Trail;
  • see the smallest drawbridge, Somerset Bridge, (#7 or #8);
  • visit fort: Scaur Hill Fort (free) (#7 or #8);

The number (##) following some of the attractions is the bus route that the attraction is closest to.

There is a printable Bermuda map here showing the bus routes and the location of many of the attractions.

SBtS

We were in Bermuda for three days last week, also our first time there. The highlight for us was going to the south shore beaches, especially the beaches beyond Horseshoe Bay. There are some coves between Horseshoe Bay and Warwick Long Bay that are gorgeous and have very few, if any, people on them.

We also enjoyed Harbour Nights in Hamilton on Wednesday night (http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_0000b2.htm), especially seeing the Gombey dancers.

We took the bus to the beach one day and also into Hamilton once - enjoyed the sights along the way and mingling with the local residents. The ferries are much faster than the bus but several scheduled ferry runs were cancelled while we were there so that's why we opted to take the bus into Hamilton, instead of waiting for the next ferry.

In Hamilton I also liked going into the Post Office for stamps, the library for free Wi-Fi and the grocery store for some good prices on the Bermuda Outerbridge's Peppers Sauces. Nice parks in Hamilton too.

I wasn't that impressed with the Dockyard, shops and all were fine but it didn't feel like the "real" Bermuda. We did a lot less than I had originally planned to do, just took our time and enjoyed what we were doing instead of cramming too much into the three short days.

Enjoy your visit.

walk the beach path that connects 5 beaches, start at Horseshoe, end at Warwick Bay (#7);

just curious…why is it suggested to begin at Horseshoe and not Warwick Bay?

Most of the time people would be going to Horseshoe Bay and ask about a beach with less people or some beach more secluded. So I always posted to walk northeast from HSB. There is really no other reason.

I do agree that going in the other direction does have the benefit of walking to HSB which has the facilities and the concession stand.

How are plans for Bermuda?

SBtS

walk the beach path that connects 5 beaches, start at Horseshoe, end at Warwick Bay (#7);

just curious…why is it suggested to begin at Horseshoe and not Warwick Bay?

We started near Warwick Bay and walked to Horseshoe Bay. I thought going in this direction made more sense because there is a place for food and drinks at Horseshoe, nice after exploring.

When we were ready to leave Horseshoe Bay we grabbed a cab that was dropping people off at the bottom of the hill at Horseshoe and went to Gibbs Hill lighthouse. I know people have said it is walkable but it is almost all uphill and in that heat we were very glad we took the taxi - we paid $10 including the tip and felt it was well worth it.

We started near Warwick Bay and walked to Horseshoe Bay. I thought going in this direction made more sense because there is a place for food and drinks at Horseshoe, nice after exploring.

When we were ready to leave Horseshoe Bay we grabbed a cab that was dropping people off at the bottom of the hill at Horseshoe and went to Gibbs Hill lighthouse. I know people have said it is walkable but it is almost all uphill and in that heat we were very glad we took the taxi - we paid $10 including the tip and felt it was well worth it.

Thank you! That's what we were thinking! :) We want to spend most of the time at HSB but want to take the beach path walk..I also heard we have to go during low tide otherwise we won't be able to walk the connecting beaches? Did you take the bus to Warwick or a taxi? There will be 6 of us.

Most of the time people would be going to Horseshoe Bay and ask about a beach with less people or some beach more secluded. So I always posted to walk northeast from HSB. There is really no other reason.

I do agree that going in the other direction does have the benefit of walking to HSB which has the facilities and the concession stand.

How are plans for Bermuda?

SBtS

We really appreciate all the information you provide on these boards, you are a a blessing to those of us new at planning our cruises! :)

So here it is…I think!

We would like to do the beach walk starting at Warwick, for us I think it makes more sense, we want to stay at HSB the longest. (how do we get to WLBB? Bus? Taxi? There are 6 of us)

We are looking to do that on day 1, then coming back to SPB for some water activities (parasail, zip line, paddle boat, kayak) and Destination Dockyard, Frog & Onion, Glass Works and hopefully SPB will be open late (8:30-9) so we can sit and enjoy the sunset?

Day 2 we are hoping for a Wildcat Boat Tour around the island, a walk to Sea Glass Beach and then stay close to Dockyard & SPB, visit the museum, maybe kayak or paddle boat if we didn't get to do that on day 1.

Sadly get back on board for departure around 4 since we depart at 5…why do I have a feeling I am going to be hard to peel away from Bermuda?!:rolleyes:

(Would you know if there are Banana Boat rides in Bermuda?)

Thank you! That's what we were thinking! :) We want to spend most of the time at HSB but want to take the beach path walk..I also heard we have to go during low tide otherwise we won't be able to walk the connecting beaches? Did you take the bus to Warwick or a taxi? There will be 6 of us.

We had intended on taking the bus (#7) to Warwick Long Bay but once we were at the bus stop one of the transit people told us to take the express bus, that was waiting at the stop, to Horseshoe Bay. He told the driver where we wanted to go and said it would be faster for us to go on this bus and then take a bus from Horseshoe to Warwick Long Bay, once we arrived at Horseshoe. We decided to do as he said. Well - the bus driver we had went out of her way to help us. She drove past Horseshoe Bay and pulled into a little clearing at the top of a hill. She got out of the bus and told us to follow her and she took us over to the edge of the hill and pointed out the path to take us to Warwick and the then pointed out the direction back to Horseshoe - talk about going out of your way to help tourists!

I don't know if we were there during low or high tide. We walked to some of the coves via the beach and others we had to walk along the paths on the hill where we got to see some of the plants/trees along the way.

The buses are easy to use and they sell the passes very near to where you get off the ships, before you even get to the buses.There were also Minibuses at the Dockyard that would take you to Horseshoe Bay for $6 per person. Maybe you could approach one of the drivers and ask if it would be possible to take you that extra way to Warwick Long Bay?

The only time you would be concerned about tides is if you tried to walk along the beach and the rock outcroppings. If you were to follow the paths, you will not have to worry about tides.

I don't remember if I provided a link to a satellite photo of the location of the paths and beaches, but here it is now.. The satellite photo, appears to me, to have been taken at low tide. You could walk on the beach about half the distance but at some point you will have to connect with a path to get to the next beach.

SBtS

Thank you very much, that is good to know! I think we will start at WLBB and end at HBB this way I get to do the beach walk, the rest of the crowd simply wants to go to HBB and then do all the water activities & things at Snorkel Park/Dockyard/Navy Museum…I love the nature so this will be the best way to make them go with me! ;)

Along the South Shore about 30 minutes from Hamilton and 30 minutes from the Dockyard:

(#7);
  • walk the beach path that connects 5 beaches, start at Horseshoe, end at Warwick Bay (#7);

Hamilton, at or nearby:

• visit historical St George, a UNESCO World Heritage Center, (#1, #3, #10 or #11);
  • watch the wench dunking, King's Square, St George. Mon - Thurs @ noon (thxs to CC mbr Nana G);

Dockyard, at or nearby:

The number (##) following some of the attractions is the bus route that the attraction is closest to.

There is a printable Bermuda map here showing the bus routes and the location of many of the attractions.

SBtS

Thanks for the great info ...

(#7);

Hamilton, at or nearby:

Dockyard, at or nearby:

SBtS

Gotta also say a big thank you for this Sailbad.. You have helped us plan our 3 days in Bermuda

• 4 weeks later...

Archived