Help me pick a cruise! NCL Dawn or RCI Freedom

marisa0324

About us: Couple in our late 30s with 2 children (4yr old DD and 10 month old DS). We live in Tampa - right next to the port and have booked a Family Suite on the Dawn. I am also considering the Freedom of the Seas. I have never been on either of these ships so I am really torn.

The pros of the Dawn are:

*No need to drive or park at the port! This will save us about $200 in gas and parking fees.

*Suite amenities and perks with VIP embarkation and debarkation. This is a great perk when you have a toddler and a baby in a stroller.

*Coffee maker in room

*Concierge service

*Lunch and breakfast at Cagneys which means we can avoid a lot of the buffets and crowds

*Large family suite with a large bathroom and lots and lots of storage

*Almost $1000 less than Freedom of the Seas

Cons are:

*No babysitting service or drop-off service for the baby

*No swim diapers in the pool which means we are bringing along an inflatable pool for the baby

*No real adult time for my husband and I

*Balcony is uncovered

Now for the Freedom:

Pros:

*I think that the overall entertainment seems better

*Babysitting service available

*swim diapers allowed (I think)

*Aft room with large balcony

Cons:

*More expensive (by about $1000+)

*No suite perks/amenities

*Have to drive over 2 hours to get to the port

Any thoughts?

I would pick Royal Caribbean too. I think the splash zone would be the main deciding factor when you have young kids. Plus, the ship is newer, nicer, more amenities and activities, etc.

Dollar for dollar, I'd pick Freedom of the Seas over Norwegian Dawn any day, especially if you have kids. Dawn does have a decent kid pool area, but nothing for those in swim diapers. And they have a special kid's buffet that's sometimes open (the sitting area is always open, far as I know). On the other hand, Freedom has the Dreamworks Experience (Dreamworks characters can be seen throughout the ship, plus three or more mornings there's a special character breakfast that's free), Royal Promenade with shows/parades, even bigger kid pool area (with splash zone, and a smaller separate pool for those in swim diapers), nursery (I think they offer in-room babysitting too, but we only used the nursery), etc. etc. Our son liked the kids' club on Freedom much more (Dawn's was ok I suppose).

BUT...that's dollar for dollar. $1,000 difference ($1,200 with gas/parking)...I may overthink things, but here's what would be going through my head.

$1,200 could pay for your own personal babysitter. Book a cheaper inside cabin, and book one of you in the cabin too (so you don't get hit with the single surcharge). If you tell someone you'll pay for their cruise and all they have to do is babysit for X hours, I have a feeling you'll get some takers! Might be a good bonding experience for a close family member.

$1,200 could pay for at least half a day at Disney :) . I'd imagine they have pools for kids in swim diapers (I know that they were allowed at Fort Wilderness). I haven't checked into Disney's babysitting services, but if it's offered...you can begin/end your vacation with a couple days at Disney.

If it were me, I'd pick the Dawn in this scenario. I see multiple ways to make the vacation just as great, if not greater, than one on the Freedom. But the Freedom is a great ship too, I don't think you'd be disappointed either way.

We have been on both ships. We also stayed in suites on both. RCL has a lot more for kids to do. However, their concierge service is not as good. NCL hands down for the little perks. NCL has Cagney's were you meet your concierge everyday, he finds you. RCL you had to go to the concierge lounge to see the concierge. We did not even know we could eat in a separate restaurant until the last day. They both have different perks for hubby and I would choose NCL with kids RCL. I hope the helps:)

Archived