advice on best "sea" and location on ship

Biffer1997

My friend suffered from severe motion sickness on our Pacific Ocean cruise last year (late April). She has heard that the Caribbean is not as rocky....is that true?

Also what is the best type and location of statroom on the ship to try to eliminate the motion sickness?

TIA...

lower decks and center. Also, seabands are very helpful and you don't get the drowsiness. Atlantic side can be rocky in April as there a changes in the gulf stream but we sailed from NY to Bahamas in April and it was like glass!

Yes the Caribbean and Gulf are usually more calm. Preceding advice on location is also good. I've heard (luckily I haven't been seasick yet) that taking bonine BEFORE you even start the cruise is important - that it's much easier to prevent motion sickness than it is to stop it once you've got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sea bands don't work for everyone, so I would recommend having a back up just in case - ginger pills have been proven to work, but you need to start taking it a week or so before you embark.

Meclizine is the wonder drug of choice.

And the Caribbean is not as bad as the Pacific - unless you go during hurricane season!

Meclizine (brand name Bonine) works wonders for me! I like the chewable ones and it is vitally important that your friend starts taking them at least the day before boarding the ship. I take one in the morning and one at night while we have sea days. I don't need them when we have several port days in a row. But remember to start back with them the day before the first sea day.

Do not wait to see if you're going to be sick. By then it's too late for the Bonine. Be pro-active and take them just in case.

I can't ride in the back seat of a car without getting motion sickness but I can cruise as long as I take Meclizine (Bonine is my favorite). Tell her to take the non-drowsy formula ones that last for 24 hours. I take one the night before we cruise and every night thereafter prior to bedtime while on the cruise. 99.9% of the time I'm fine. The Pacific is definitely rougher but if she got sick in the Pacific, she will probably get sick in the Atlantic unless she takes precautions. Better to be safe than sorry!

Archived