Best Caribbean cruiseline for 3 year olds?

blancheneigedlp

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I've never been on a cruise before but my step-mom just announced that she wants to take us all on a cruise as a "once in a lifetime vacation". I've always avoided cruises because I tend to get seasick, even on big boats like crossing the English Channel, but I figure that if it's free I'll get meds and sea bands and all that and just hope I'm fine!

Since I have experience with travel and the like, my step-mom has nominated me to choose a cruise for us. Here are her requirements:

a) Caribbean

b) balcony staterooms or better

c) it must be on a ship (I tried to talk her into Club Med!)

d) she doesn't want Carnival due to the "party" rep

e) we're looking at next spring...Jan-April timeframe

She's willing to pay for up to $2k each for the cruise, gratuities, flights to FL from (CA or AZ) and overnight hotel prior. Everything else we have to pay for (although she said she'd pay for my alcohol since I'm doing the planning!) We have 6 adults and 4 kids - 12, 9, 3 & 3

Anyway, I have almost 3 year old twins and I'm a single parent, so I'm trying to figure out which cruise would be best for them. While my family will "help", I will still have to do most things on my own, including travel with them to/from, sleep with them in a very small room (they are not great sleepers, but I have mini tents for them, which I will bring. This way they stay contained for naps/night.), take them to meals, make sure they don't drown, etc.

I have specifically looked at RCCL and Princess, as well as Disney, but I think Disney is too expensive (alas). I was pretty much sold on RCCL due to the amenities until I was reading reviews here that both the Allure and Independence are super huge and people were waiting in line forever. Princess seems to have bigger rooms and their mini-suite looks great for sleeping 3; I also like their Southern itinerary with the Turks & Caicos better than RCCL, but the H20 zone on RCCL calls to me for my kids.

I am not 100% that my boys will be potty trained either. I know it is still 6+ months away, but things are not looking well now. I definitely want to be able to use the kids' club. Also do people leave their kids on the ship when they go into port?

Also, since we will be 3 hours ahead of where I am in AZ, would you recommend keeping my kids on the same time zone? So like, instead of taking a nap at noon, they would nap at 3 and go to bed at 10:30p instead of 7:30p? It almost seems like that would be easier for ship schedules.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help! I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions!

Caribbean cruises are not always party cruises but I would definitely not do a cruise in the month of March- because that is when the college kids will be onboard and they are the absolute worst!

If school is not an obsticle- then don't do Easter week (April 8th) either because that is going to triple or quadruple the amount of kids onboard.

The best prices and largest selection of cruises is out of Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. I would definitely do Ft. Lauderdale. The port is a $15.00/ five mile ride. So easy and Ft. Lauderdale airport is clean, organized and user friendly- unlike Miami which is horrible- for many reasons. As for the time change- it will totally work in your favor. They will stay up later, which is good because they won't be fussy at dinner and can stay in the youth program until 10PM or later and this allows you for more nightlife. Also- they will sleep in later! Sounds like a win-win!

Southwest would be my choice of airlines because they are great and when you board with young children you can alway do earlybird seating- which means you can board in the first group- and get good seats. And even if you don't book earlybird- you board between group A and B- so will be plenty of good seats before the bulk of the passengers get on.

Since you gave a window of between (jan-april), I would suggest a cruise after Easter- like the week of April 14th because public schools break the week before Easter and Catholic schools break the week after Easter. So many more kids on all the cruise lines then. The reason I suggest this is- your kids will most assuredly be potty-trained by then (that is almost 9 months from now) and you will not have to worry. Another reason I suggest this is because it will be very comfortable in Florida and the Caribbean at this time. It can actually still be cold in Florida up until then- although the islands are always warm year round. As to potty training. My son was almost 3 when he was completely potty trained- so I know how you feel. Kids do occasionally have an accident in a new place though and the toilets on the ships are loud and scary (suction noise)- so make sure to check on your kids frequently when they are in the youth program because they may hold it out of fear of the toilets and have an accident. My son did and he was almost 5 (and potty trained)

NCL is not a bad choice at all- and this would allay your concerns about potty training. If you go that route- then I highly recommend the week after New Years (January 7th) because the prices will be very cheap and weather is great in the islands. The downside, if they aren't potty trained, is they absolutely can not use the pools and that's a shame. The only line that allow kids in diapers are Disney (just a little round pool) or Royal- with the H2O Zone- that I loved.

My favorite cruise line though is Celebrity so I'd probably wait until April and do that line- the youth program on Celebrity is the best I've encountered. They have a loving, caring staff onboard. For you and the rest of the family- they have lots of onboard activities and great food venues- especially Bistro on Five ($5 surcharge) where you can get made to order crepes and panini sandwiches and awesome desserts. We loved it. It's casual and not crowded. Relaxing. Also a wonderful restaurant called Qsine that is a tapas restaurant ($40 pp surcharge) and you will enjoy it with or without the kids. My son , age 11, loved it. You order off Ipads and it is whimsical, casual and fun. They usually have a magician or illusionist onboard and the kids like that too. Buy then the twins will be the perfect age for cruising. I traveled with my son at age 3- almost 4 and it was such a relaxing trip for me because he loved the youth program and he could swim in the pool. A cruise is a big investment so I'd just wait if you can until April.

I would try to see if she will reconsider Carnival. We've been on 30+ cruises - 9 on Carnival. The "party" ship reputation applies to some ships and some itineraries in my opinion. The less expensive 3-4 night cruises tend to attract a "lively" crowd. We are conservative family and always travel with children. Our last two Carnival cruises were wonderful. We didn't have a single instance of feeling like we were on a "party" ship.

We will be on the Carnival Breeze in a few months. I think this ship would really suit your group The prices are very good, fabulous entertainment, so much for the kids to do (entire waterpark, 2-story mini golf, 4D movie theater, and our favorite - outdoor movie theater) as well as good itineraries.

There is NOTHING wrong with Carnival....they are no more a "party boat" than Vegas is a "family" vacation spot!!!

All of the mass-market lines will be fine for your kids...at 3, all cruiselines will have something organized for your kids. Yes...they need to be potty trained for pools and most kid's clubs, so get crackin' on that!

Your kids will adjust to the time change better than you will...just be flexible and go with the flow...if they need a nap...let them sleep! If not...keep on going! It's a vacation...no need to have a rigid schedule.

I agree with a cruise in April/May...much nicer weather, but may be more expensive...keep that in mind.

I have sailed all the mainstream lines (Royal 3x, NCL 3x, Celebrity 8x, Holland 2x, Disney 1x, Oceania 1x, Cunard 3x, Carnival 1x)

The first cruise I did as a single parent was on Carnival and it was great. It was a 4 night cruise and it was cheap and not a party cruise but there were a lot of smokers onboard and that sort of thing. My one and only beef though with Carnival is the decor. I think it is hideous, loud and ugly. That's just me.

I like Celebrity because it is more sophisticated, less crowded, relaxing but still fun. I did check for April though and the last Caribbean cruise for Celebrity is on April 7, 2013. Then the Celebrity ships head to Europe and Alaska. Balcony cabins are $994 for first two passengers and $499 for each additional person in the cabin (up to 4 people in a cabin).

You might want to consider Carnival, lots and lots of families take it! We are taking Carnival next year with our three year olds! :)

I would do Carnival, NCL or Disney. Lots of little ones at three are potty trained, but if he/she is not, RCI will be difficult. They won't help your little one at all in the bathroom, and there is a "three strikes and you're out" accident policy for the kids club. No way would I want my three year old under that kind of pressure!

NCL and Carnival are the only cruises that allow non potty trained kids in the program.

When we took our 5 and 2 year old last year we were faced with this choice. Carnival won out do to price and the generally better reviews over NCL as a overall cruise experience.

This year out 3 yo is also not looking good for full success potty training so its CCL without any hesitations.

NCL gives you a beeper an calls you to change the kids.

CCL changes the kids for you unless the kid won't allow it then they call you in.

The question is which do you feel more comfortable with? After doing it on CCL I have no issues with that system.

Disney is a good choice but very expensive. We can cruise 3 times for the price of one Disney cruise. No thanks.

CCL is not the party boat the rep seems to be. It is not high style crusing for sure but I usually find the same trip, ports and departure port to be $400 or more less than RCCL and often NCL.

I wouldn't abandon RCL just because of the lines/crowds. The Oasis was my most incredible cruising exp to date. There is no way I would pass on that just because of the occasional crowd. IMO those ships are still your best bet. Reviews on this board are great. However, if you've been on this site long enough. You can find just about any sailing and get dramatically different perspectives from different cruisers.

I would also agree with a PP that Norwegian Epic would be a great choice for you guys too.

Carnival is definitely NOT a party ship anymore. If you can avoid the spring break crowd and the 3 nighters. Carnival is fun for all ages.

When I travel with my kids, I get them acclaimated to whatever time zone we are in. It hasn't been an issue getting them to return to their normal schedule once we got back home. A day or two adjustment period was all that was needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, everyone, for your advice! I think we have narrowed to the Western Caribbean on NCL with the Pearl, but I'm looking into Epic too.

The promo with getting mini-suites for the price of balcony rooms, is too good to pass up as I like the idea of the separation in the rooms so my kids can sleep and I don't have to!

Also, lots of cool kid stuff to do, and since they'll page me for diaper changes, I don't have to be AS concerned about them not being potty trained!

Now to pick a date and ship for SURE. We need to get booked on this!

Archived