Half Moon Cay - Awesome Snorkeling!

shunt66

We will be at Half Moon Cay in the beginning of January. We have our own snorkeling equipment (well, I don't have fins yet, but I will before we go). I am so glad that you all have posted about where to go. We will check all the spots out that we have time for. I am also buying an underwater camera mainly for this trip, then to use with the kids in the pool. Hope to get some good pictures!

We will be there on the same trip i believe NWbearcat ;)

we rented the cabana and are apparently checking out the same topics lol.

NWbearcat2011-WOuld your screen name happen to be in refrence to Northwest Missouri State University? If so, I graduated from there in 2002! It's always nice to meet a fellow Bearcat!

It is. We I graduated in 2011 (started in 2005). We love being Bearcats!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all of this information. Our last cruise west we did not get a chance to snorkel but I really do want to this time. I am trying to talk my DH into bringing our own equipment with us and found this web site when lookeing at cost. They have a buddy package that includes 2 snorkels, 2 mask and 2 sets of fins with bag for $89... at $20 per set on the island for 2 is $40 and is you plan to snorkel at other places as well it is wort it to bring your own.

http://www.snorkel-mart.com/detail.cfm?ProductID=88&AllocatedProductID=86

• 9 months later...

Does anyone have any photos of this rock area? And even better, does anyone have any underwater photos from snorkeling?

Just to make sure I have the rock wall snorkeling location correct, can you confirm that the location circled in red on the Google Earth map below is it?

HalfMoonCay-GoogleEarth1_zps259763b0.jpg

HalfMoonCay-GoogleEarth2_zpsce468320.jpg

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
Does anyone have any photos of this rock area? And even better, does anyone have any underwater photos from snorkeling?

Just to make sure I have the rock wall snorkeling location correct, can you confirm that the location circled in red on the Google Earth map below is it?

HalfMoonCay-GoogleEarth1_zps259763b0.jpg

HalfMoonCay-GoogleEarth2_zpsce468320.jpg

Thanks!

Yes, that is the rock wall where a lot of fish are. Of the 3 times we've been to HMC, we've had quite different snorkeling experiences here. First time was rough and a lot of sand was mixed up in the water making visibility nil, so I did the excursion and it was great: http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2010/11/another-dam-vacation.html#more 2nd time was better, saw a school of fish near the wall, but it was too churned up by the wall to see anything. Also saw a large barracuda in the school of fish and a large triggerfish. 3rd time the water was really calm and we spent a lot of time by the wall and the artificial "reef". Saw an octopus, schools of little fish, even a school of rather small barracuda. http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2012/11/2012-hal-11-night-caribbean-cruise.html

Yes, that is the rock wall where a lot of fish are. Of the 3 times we've been to HMC, we've had quite different snorkeling experiences here. First time was rough and a lot of sand was mixed up in the water making visibility nil, so I did the excursion and it was great: http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2010/11/another-dam-vacation.html#more 2nd time was better, saw a school of fish near the wall, but it was too churned up by the wall to see anything. Also saw a large barracuda in the school of fish and a large triggerfish. 3rd time the water was really calm and we spent a lot of time by the wall and the artificial "reef". Saw an octopus, schools of little fish, even a school of rather small barracuda. http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2012/11/2012-hal-11-night-caribbean-cruise.html

Thank you for your post. It has been so long since I posed the question, that I had almost forgotten about it. We are heading to Half Moon Cay in June. WOW, on the octopus siting.

Your photos in your blog are wonderful!

We're heading off on a HAL cruise in just over a week, so I'm hitting the forum more then I usually do. Glad you checked back and were able to get the answer to your questions mpcaruth.

birdy---the underwater pictures and pictures by the water were taken with my now defunct Canon D20. Many of the other pictures were taken with a Canon 60D dslr.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
I may email the excursion desk and just ask if I can get a couple of vests included with the gear that comes with the cabana.

I snorkeled in Cozumel because it was a wade-in area. I knew the vest would keep me afloat, but when you're a non-swimmer, it just is difficult to convince yourself that you'll be ok. I had let the tour group know and he was keeping an eye on me.

I'll be with a friend, DD & her new husband, so I won't be alone. There will be someone to help if I need it.

Someone also recently posted that if you walk ALL the way down the other direction, past the horseback riding area to the rocks that there is some very good snorkeling. But you're totally alone out there.

Thanks for the info.

Were you able to get lifejackets in your cabana?